IGNORED

Interesting Attendance Stats

brad blit

52 minutes ago, h hills left shoe said:

Since when has bristol been middle class? There are a few areas that are but most of bristol is working class! 

I'd say Bristol is to Bath as Gloucester is to Cheltenham. The latter get all the tourist dollars and attention but the former are more real and salt of the earth.

The NW of Bristol has some very comfortable areas but there's a lot of poverty in the inner city and especially the southern suburbs (Source: 2015 England Multiple Deprivation Index). Two areas of Hartcliffe are ranked as the 65th and 67th most deprived areas of England.

42 minutes ago, h hills left shoe said:

Since when has bristol been middle class? There are a few areas that are but most of bristol is working class! 

Sorry you haven't mastered the skill of reading yet. I actually referred to the "area" of Bristol, when comparing it to the "area" of Sheffield. Now forgive me if I'm wrong but, I was under the impression that the Sheffield area was built on coal and steel, with the biggest by far steel industry in the country. It was until the decline in the 1980s, an industrial city and very working class.

Bristol on the other hand has always had a mixed industrial past, from docks, tobacco, to aero industry, with a few other industries lumped in, as well as a large commercial base, some reports say second only to London, though I doubt that.

So as an area, with the neighbouring towns not renowned for their industrial heritage, unlike Rotherham and Doncaster, I would class the area of Bristol more middle class than the area of Sheffield.

58 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Indeed, Bristol is such a diverse city as a whole. You can't label the city as middle class. That's utter bullshit tbf.

Don't just read and comment on some ones reply, read the post referred to.

41 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Whilst I agree the comment is mind boggling after a second read I think he was comparing Bristol to Sheffield.

Having never been to sheffield at all I can only go on what the internet and forums so....:shifty:

No, I was comparing the populations and trends within sections of populations, that were more likely to attend football matches.

6 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

I'd say Bristol is to Bath as Gloucester is to Cheltenham. The latter get all the tourist dollars and attention but the former are more real and salt of the earth.

The NW of Bristol has some very comfortable areas but there's a lot of poverty in the inner city and especially the southern suburbs (Source: 2015 England Multiple Deprivation Index). Two areas of Hartcliffe are ranked as the 65th and 67th most deprived areas of England.

I agree, our poorer less privileged must have a harder time than those up north, due to the higher cost of living and transport.

Just now, Rich said:

No, I was comparing the populations and trends within sections of populations, that were more likely to attend football matches.

I'm boggled. How can you even gauge the general support of City and then localise it to sections of populations?! Those sections then being more likely to attend matches.

I have read your posts in this topic by the way. 

Do you have access to the Bristol Sport database to see where our regular/non-regular supporters live. And also access to their income?!

Soz, just don't get the assumptions.

Just now, Captain Hindsight said:

I'm boggled. How can you even gauge the general support of City and then localise it to sections of populations?! Those sections then being more likely to attend matches.

I have read your posts in this topic by the way. 

Do you have access to the Bristol Sport database to see where our regular/non-regular supporters live. And also access to their income?!

Soz, just don't get the assumptions.

It's based on history. And again I think you are confused. I did not say our crowd are more middle class.

What I am trying to explain is the correlation between an area with a high working class population, such as Sheffield, with an area with a lower working class population. Historically, football as a spectator sport has been more popular with the working class. If you have a higher population of working class in one area compared to another area, then it would be the norm to have a higher percentage of people wanting to attend matches.

Simple terms :Sheffield population 500,000,  400,000 of whom are classed as working class. Bristol population 500,000,300,000 working class, equals, a higher catchment area for possible attendees than Bristol. I'm only using these figures for an example before we start arguing about actual populations.

53 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Whilst I agree the comment is mind boggling after a second read I think he was comparing Bristol to Sheffield.

Having never been to sheffield at all I can only go on what the internet and forums so....:shifty:

Ive been to Sheffield a few times, mostly for City games but also spent a very short time working there, I found ithe people really friendly and down to earth. I would say it's quite similar to Bristol in that it has its good and not so good areas. Football wise it's a proper football City, were a long way off of them. Wednesday in the top division would have no problem getting 40,000 every week. 

7 hours ago, Rich said:

It's based on history. And again I think you are confused. I did not say our crowd are more middle class.

What I am trying to explain is the correlation between an area with a high working class population, such as Sheffield, with an area with a lower working class population. Historically, football as a spectator sport has been more popular with the working class. If you have a higher population of working class in one area compared to another area, then it would be the norm to have a higher percentage of people wanting to attend matches.

Simple terms :Sheffield population 500,000,  400,000 of whom are classed as working class. Bristol population 500,000,300,000 working class, equals, a higher catchment area for possible attendees than Bristol. I'm only using these figures for an example before we start arguing about actual populations.

I'd stop there mate if I were you, that hole you are digging yourself is getting bigger 

Archived