IGNORED

Retained List

Sydneybcfc

42 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I think SL has said in the past that ideally we'd have 2 players for every position, including a few versatile players.

Much more than that and things get problematical, both financially for the club and team spirit wise for the manager.

We've had very large squads in the past and paid a price with disenchanted players on the training ground, a situation we were told the club is determined to avoid in future.

24 players is a big enough squad, so with the current 16 thats still 8 short

By my maths we have 2 goalies, 5 defenders, 5 midfielders and 4 strikers with significant first team experience under contract for next season, this is excluding El-Abd who we will surely look to move on.

Keeping Vyner, O'Leary and Dowling as possibles in the squad that suggests 7 new signings or so to me, plus another one each time if we lost say Flint or Kodjia.

3 hours ago, Sydneybcfc said:

So it seems according to the pre match interview with LJ he said the only player out of contract is Wagstaff and they are going to attempt to keep him assuming he wants to stay and the money is right.

I like Waggy , always gives 100% , seems enthusiastic and a good man to have around the club , but is he really worth a contract ? 

5 minutes ago, wheatus59 said:

I like Waggy , always gives 100% , seems enthusiastic and a good man to have around the club , but is he really worth a contract ? 

Not sure how we can comment without knowing the full details, wage, attitude, his wishes etc. Who else is available if we let him go, we don't know these things. 

I guess for every regular first team player we need players who are patient and bide their time waiting for opportunity. Whether that is a youngster or a more experienced player. I thought Waggy had the opportunity to go out on loan last season but wanted to stay and fight for a place. We don't really now if he is too comfortable here or believes he is in contention.

13 minutes ago, wheatus59 said:

In my opinion every squad would see the benefit of having a Waggy.  He may never really set the world alight, but he is this clubs Mr Dependable.  I can't think of a single time I've come away thinking he'd had a bad game.  

It just comes down to whether he's happy with that role.  His attitude has been fantastic given that he's not had regular football for more than two years.

28 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

In my opinion every squad would see the benefit of having a Waggy.  He may never really set the world alight, but he is this clubs Mr Dependable.  I can't think of a single time I've come away thinking he'd had a bad game.  

It just comes down to whether he's happy with that role.  His attitude has been fantastic given that he's not had regular football for more than two years.

I rate Wagstaff and I think that we have to bear in mind that he never really got the chance to get match fit this season or get a run of games. 

He's experienced at this level, seemingly popular and a good solid pro. Given some of Freeman's performances this season (although I think he'll improve after getting a full season in the championship under his belt)  I'd give Wagstaff a run of games in August and see what happens. And we'd probably have to pay someone more than he's on to replace him anyway.

4 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Interesting comment

Bristol City FC ‏@bcfctweets
LJ: "We'll do everything in our powers in the transfer market but it will probably take three windows before it's a true reflection."

is that the round window, the square window or the arched window?

1 hour ago, ciderrider said:

I rate Wagstaff and I think that we have to bear in mind that he never really got the chance to get match fit this season or get a run of games. 

He's experienced at this level, seemingly popular and a good solid pro. Given some of Freeman's performances this season (although I think he'll improve after getting a full season in the championship under his belt)  I'd give Wagstaff a run of games in August and see what happens. And we'd probably have to pay someone more than he's on to replace him anyway.

Absolutely. If we wanted to replace him with someone as dependable and who fits in with the squad it would cost us a damn sight more than paying him for another couple of years. He`s only about 25 anyway even though he seems to have been around for ever.

Offer him two years IMO and it will depend on whether he wants first team football guaranteed but he`s not going to get that above League 1.

I could see him going back to Charlton - if, and it`s a big if, they sort out the car crash of a club they are at the moment. There`s still a lot of love for him from their fans judging by the tweets when we played up there.

2 hours ago, RedM said:

Not sure how we can comment without knowing the full details, wage, attitude, his wishes etc. Who else is available if we let him go, we don't know these things. 

It's never stopped OTIB before!

Derek Williams did join in 2013 on a 3 year contract. Looking it up, everywhere has his contract expiring this summer. No news of an extended contract but maybe it just hasn't been announced yet hence why LJ made the comments he did today.

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I'd have Waggy in the starting line up. Great player. Brill pro....

Wouldn't go that far but he's great off the bench. He's getting towards his peak now so maybe he wouldn't be happy to remain a sub. As others have said, can see him going back to Charlton; especially if he can start most games there.

21 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Wes has had 4 loans over the past 3 season, he's probably had enough loans now.

Perhaps we'll end up with the likes of Williams, Wagstaff and Agard going out on loan instead?

If we're dramatically increasing the size of the squad with new signings it's hard to see the reasoning behind keeping experienced players who weren't thought good enough even when the squad was much smaller.

But this season we barely had a squad and was still sent out on loan, next season we will have a bigger and better squad so his chances of game time here are remote.

1 hour ago, Super said:

But this season we barely had a squad and was still sent out on loan, next season we will have a bigger and better squad so his chances of game time here are remote.

Not necessarily, as we now have a different manager and play a different formation, the loan spell at Fleetwood looked a strange move all round at the outset but his brilliant early form there might just have shown to a few what a talent he can be.

On 2016-05-05 at 13:46, Sydneybcfc said:

So it seems according to the pre match interview with LJ he said the only player out of contract is Wagstaff and they are going to attempt to keep him assuming he wants to stay and the money is right.

A pity he is not the one and only player on contract. Donkey business continues 

On 2016-05-05 at 13:46, Sydneybcfc said:

I would be happy only to have Wagstaff on contract

Archived