IGNORED

Cunningham vs Golbourne

CTRed

Following the release of Cunningham pre-season and subsequently having to bring in a LB mid-season, I was curious to know who you guys think is the better of the two.

As an exile I haven't consistently seen either so just interested to hear your thoughts.

Golbourne is the better left back by a country mile.

Does the essential things without fuss and also puts in the odd attacking threat (which was a bonus of Cunningham).

Golbourne will get better as well.  He's only just started to understand his team mates' way of playing.

My feeling is that Scott is more comfortable on the ball, although that said it feels a long time since I watched Greg playing regularly so I may be being unfair on him. When Scott first arrived though I remember feeling reassured about his calmness and solidity. I don't think he's a bomb down the wing kind of left back, although it was good to see him near the corner flag laying the ball off to Tomlin for his goal last Saturday. Frankly, though, if we had moved to a back four earlier, I am sure Greg would not have been released. He was not a wing back and that probably influenced the decision to release him as SC was intent on wing backs. 

A tough question.

As a season ticket holder I've seen all of Scott G's home performances & a few away. He started ofg well at a very difficult time when City were struggling. He always opts for the easy ball, seldom beats his man at pace but is relatively solid. I'll be honest I don't see him as anything better than average (hence why he was never a regular at Wolves) but he plays to his strengths, ie sound positional sense. He had a stinker away at Hull & LJ dropped him soon after.

I was impressed by Greg C when he came to the Gate with PNE. He overlaps well & perhaps has more skill than SG. I get the impression he has improved at Preston. Overall I'd say two very different players but GC perhaps offers more in an attacking sense.

Think @eardun has it right; it's been so long since we've seen GC regularly, and all we've seen of Golbourne is him in a new team and to be fair to him likely settling in, so comparing them is too difficult. 

45 minutes ago, Chivs said:

Golbourne will get better as well.  He's only just started to understand his team mates' way of playing.

Bit worrying if that's taken him three months.

18 minutes ago, Corsham Alf said:

As a season ticket holder I've seen all of Scott G's home performances & a few away. He started ofg well at a very difficult time when City were struggling. He always opts for the easy ball, seldom beats his man at pace but is relatively solid. I'll be honest I don't see him as anything better than average (hence why he was never a regular at Wolves) but he plays to his strengths, ie sound positional sense. He had a stinker away at Hull & LJ dropped him soon after.

Completely agree with this. We won't get promoted with Golbourne first choice, but he's a perfectly dependable left-back and the word liability isn't in his dictionary.

Goldbourne slotted in and largely goes unnoticed I think. Does his job, steady and usually effective. Nothing wrong with that but he certainly doesn't excite me like Greg Cunningham could.

Greg could bring the ball forward more and was getting a few great crosses in. Goldbourne looked great in the first few games then has been largely steady but unspectacular, which isn't a criticism as it's what we needed at the time. I do miss a Greg though as I'm sure with the change in formation he would be starting every week. 

Golbourne is fine. Not going to get promoted or relegated with him in the team. 

Cunningham was an exceptional LB in my opinion, but merely an above average LWB, hence his dropping in favour of Bryan, who was an outstanding LWB.

I like Scott, he's very fit, decent on the ball, and clearly loves the club, but his positional sense is appalling and for me we look no better than average on the left hand side when he's in the team.

If you believe defenders should defend- goldbourne- if you are a fan of GLen Johnson type out of position but dangerous going forward full backs - Cunningham. Given our problems conceding earlier in the season I'd say goldbourne is a better pick in the current set up

6 hours ago, Leveller said:

Interesting set of views. I was never very impressed with Cunningham as a defender - too lightweight. He must have had a good season at Preston though.

Not something you can accuse Golbourne of, the first thing I noticed was how much he has filled out since his early days with us, it makes a change for us to have a physically strong player at left back and with Matthews at right back we had the strongest looking defensive flanks I can remember. If Matthews stays I would be happy to have Golbourne as the stay at home full back whilst Matthews bombs forward. 

With Scott at LB you basically don`t have to worry too much about that side and I think that helps whoever is playing in front of him. They don`t constantly have to think `should I go forward or not`. It`s noticeable mostly with Joe when he plays wide left in front of Scott - he spends a lot more time in their half.

9 hours ago, redfieldred said:

If you believe defenders should defend- goldbourne- if you are a fan of GLen Johnson type out of position but dangerous going forward full backs - Cunningham. Given our problems conceding earlier in the season I'd say goldbourne is a better pick in the current set up

Given PNE's excellent defensive record this season they must be great at covering if GC is regularly out of position!

21 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

...but he's three years older than Greg...so probably Greg will get better ?

Poorly worded by me.  What I meant was that we haven't seen the best of Golbourne in this team as he will learn the foibles of his team mates as time goes on.

Cunningham was well established with his team mates when he left.

42 minutes ago, Londoner said:

With respect Goldbournes performances have dipped the more time he has been with us, perfect example was Rotherham where he was awful....and then got dropped.

As a left back I would take Cunningham all day long.

Sadly, I agree with this.

I hope, and fully expect, there will be much more to come from Scott next season.

When making comparisons between the 2 we should bear in mind that the majority of Cunningham's City appearances (61 out of 91) were at L1 level.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Sadly, I agree with this.

I hope, and fully expect, there will be much more to come from Scott next season.

When making comparisons between the 2 we should bear in mind that the majority of Cunningham's City appearances (61 out of 91) were at L1 level.

It seemed to me he was playing with an injury, in the Rotherham game he could barely turn without wincing.

Said this before but it's relevant here; most of us would appear to be happy with a back four of Matthews, Flint, Baker and Golbourne next season. Does this mean we are happy to accept further tankings from the top teams? Because with (roughly) this personnel and setup we have conceded 4 v Brighton, 4 v Hull and 3 v Derby in recent times. Baker and Flint were also mainstays in a team conceding goals for fun earlier in the season.

I still worry that our defenders are not collectively as strong as we appear to rate them individually.

Thought this would be a landslide! Surprised that it isn't, and just proves how many different opinions are in football. Isn't it great?

Cunningham for me was a different class, and if he wants, can be the best full back in the division. 

Archived