IGNORED

How would Brexit affect the transfer market?

SecretSam

Was just reading in the Grauniad that SL's best bud Hargreaves is funding the Brexit campaign.

Was just wondering what might happen to the transfer market here if we did leave - given the issues that non-EU players sometimes have with work permits, etc (whereas EU players can freely move, no permit required)?

It's a case of our Government lawyers talking to the EU lawyers and hammering out all sorts of deals post referendum result. Assuming we say Yes to leaving,  it could easily take a couple of years to finalise points of law such as this.

Sky News website has a good FAQ section explaining what will/won't happen. 

Unfortunately, even if we leave, we can still enter the Eurovision Song Contest.

Slighty off subject, but I'm still waiting to read a completely objective, impartial, not written by a particular party or media group that clearly states pro's and con's of staying / going

I think I'm decided, but I'd love to do some homework on it first and feel comfortable with it - anyone know where I can find such a thing?

17 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Slighty off subject, but I'm still waiting to read a completely objective, impartial, not written by a particular party or media group that clearly states pro's and con's of staying / going

I think I'm decided, but I'd love to do some homework on it first and feel comfortable with it - anyone know where I can find such a thing?

yeah, that's weird. Almost as if nobody knows what would happen in the event of an out vote.

1 hour ago, nathredwood said:

EU players would need work permits.

It's likely that the FA would set up a new set of rules though for EU players that are not as strict as non EU.

I'm not sure of this logic. Work permits for any applicant are issued by the UK Immigration and Visa Service  not an employer / an employers organisation. The job offer must be one that can't be filled by someone already in the UK. There are exceptions, for those who are exceptionally talented, but this would be difficult to define. Take, Newcastle as an example. They've signed lots of expensive "talented" players who turned out to be rubbish. 

34 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

The problem with what you seek is that whilst what continued membership looks like has been negotiated, there has been nothing negotiated on what an exit might mean. Had we agreed an in principle trade deals with the EU and with other territories then we could make an informed decision; as that step hasn't been done, my opinion, it is simply a case of do you want to open the mystery box? I don't think there is intentional deceit as only the pro's can really be ascertained whilst we have no idea what out would look like.

2 minutes ago, 29AR said:

The problem with what you seek is that whilst what continued membership looks like has been negotiated, there has been nothing negotiated on what an exit might mean. Had we agreed an in principle trade deals with the EU and with other territories then we could make an informed decision; as that step hasn't been done, my opinion, it is simply a case of do you want to open the mystery box? I don't think there is intentional deceit as only the pro's can really be ascertained whilst we have no idea what out would look like.

Dont think we know the pro`s of staying in either as i believe theres loads more the EU are planning to do but we just dont know yet. eg Turkey, Albania etc Plus lots of other stuff , the thing is no side really knws what position we will be in in 5yrs time. People say its better what you know thats only true if things stay the same which i am sure they wont.

50 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Your guess is as good as anyone's

9 minutes ago, Turbored said:

Dont think we know the pro`s of staying in either as i believe theres loads more the EU are planning to do but we just dont know yet. eg Turkey, Albania etc Plus lots of other stuff , the thing is no side really knws what position we will be in in 5yrs time. People say its better what you know thats only true if things stay the same which i am sure they wont.

Fair point. Personally I think the EU are toying with those states and playing them politically, particularly Turkey, and their (Turkey's) actual ascession I personally view as about as likely as Corbyn firing Trident. 

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

Objective and impartial?  Impossible.  It all depends what is important to you, the values you have and your priorities for raising and spending money.  Among many other factors.

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

Pros  for staying in   Proves you are sane and intelligent  /  Cons  None

Pros for leaving    None /  Cons   None (you are insane so don't care)

Written by a completely objective and impartial person.

Will that do you Woodsy

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

Does anything other than the general population being able to elect the people that make the laws really matter?

1 hour ago, WarksRobin said:

yeah, that's weird. Almost as if nobody knows what would happen in the event of an out vote.

Go on then, tell me

1 hour ago, 29AR said:

That is probably the most intelligent thing I've read on it, and not something I've thought of!

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

Your guess is as good as anyone's

God, that scares me

33 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Objective and impartial?  Impossible.  It all depends what is important to you, the values you have and your priorities for raising and spending money.  Among many other factors.

Yeah, I think that's the crux of it, Cots

31 minutes ago, Stephen Lewis said:

Will that do you Woodsy

I've never met you, you could be the maddest person I've ever not met'!

27 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Does anything other than the general population being able to elect the people that make the laws really matter?

Do we trust those buggers though, Pez!?

The latest negative thing I have heard is about bringing in a single European law. This would undermine our " Innocent until proven guilty" law and allow people to be held indefinitely until proven either guilty or innocent.

1 hour ago, Stephen Lewis said:

Will that do you Woodsy

Thank you, David Cameron, for your contribution. 

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

We are in the EU, and we have a general population able to elect the people that make laws: either directly via elections to the European Parliament or by having a referendum. If we don't like what they've done we can vote with our feet, as is being demonstrated 23 June. Remaining, to my mind, does not prevent us from being able to elect because we have the power to leave and we have the power to elect; proportionally - as a general population of a wider European entity. A bit like a labour heartland in a part of the UK has the power to vote proportionally in a general election we do to an EU parliament!!!

As for laws that really matter, given we will be trading with the EU we will have rules that we need to comply with whether we are in or whether we are out.

1 hour ago, Izza said:

The latest negative thing I have heard is about bringing in a single European law. This would undermine our " Innocent until proven guilty" law and allow people to be held indefinitely until proven either guilty or innocent.

Whoever wrote that has totally disregarded Article 5 of the European Convention on Human Rights then.

And the answer is....Absolutely nothing.....

Now, out of spite, the EU could place work permit restrictions on the UK players plying their trade in the EU (post Brexit), so Ravel Morrison could be in trouble...Apart from him, I am struggling! Each country can place restrictions on non home grown talent, but I hardly think Gareth Bale is worried.

On the EU into UK, well, in theory, nothing would change because, in theory, if we were outside the EU (and I would be astonished if we were) then we get to make up the rules regarding trade, as we do already.

I hardly think the governments main priority upon any Brexit would be clamping down on foreign players, especially as the current work permit rules allow all rules to be broken if the Player has £1M to invest (yep, someone says money talks). I imagine their main worry would be preventing the £ being devalued to £1 = $0.03...

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Thank you, David Cameron, for your contribution. 

David Cameron's views on the EU will be entirely based on what is financially best for him and those in his family and social network.  That's the job of a Conservative.

It would mean that players from EU countries would be subject to the same rules as players from non-EU countries are currently subject to.

As far as I remember (and I can't be bothered looking it up!) that means the player has to be an international for his country and that his country has to be in the top 100 ranked nations.

So an amazing player that plays every game for Luxembourg would not be allowed to play (as the country is not good enough) or French player that isn't in the national squad wouldn't be allowed (as the player is not good enough).

That's the current rules though, any EU exit would probably also mean the UK completely change the rules on eligible players.  

7 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Impartial, objective advice will be thin on the ground for sure, Woodsy. A shame really, as this is a bit more complicated than a straightforward Left v Right, Red or Blue, choice at a General Election isn't it?

What's important to you? For example:

Is it the right to make our own laws and choose how we wish to be governed or is it being able to get through customs a bit quicker on your way to and from Magaluf of a summer?

The sovereignty of our parliamentary democracy and freedom of movement are just 2 of the issues of course. There are plenty of others you could hang your hat on come June 23.

The good news is that this is the referendum of June 1975 all over again and we all know where City finished the following season... :fingerscrossed:

It seems pretty clear that Brexit would limit clubs ability to bring in EU players.  In our case Kodjia.  We could never prove there wasn't a Briton available

Moreover a Brexit Government would have to implement asap its views on immigration

Yet another of the myriad reasons why I shall vote, as I did in 1975, to remain in.

My other reasons

The economy, especially The City of London - on whom we all, one way or another, depend

Progressive social legislation, eg on employment

Better life chances for my 4 year old grandson

Large funding for scientific research ( very unlikely to be matched by any British Government)

Threat to our agriculture, and thus to our countryside, as EU grants are withdrawn (absolutely no guarantee a British Government would pay up)

To continue to trade with the single market we would have to pay and introduce European legislation, without any opportunity to object, opt out etc

Withdrawal of EU funding for educational projects

Withdrawal of infrastructure payments

Withdrawal into a little Britain would make the possibility of political uncertainty, in democratic terms, more likely in Europe.  Look where appeasement got us in the 1930s.  We do not live in an alternative universe.

Increased security risks

Reduced voice within the world

Strong possibility of return of British retirees from The Med - a serious additional burden to NHS

More difficulties in foreign travel eg no EU health Card, no easy EU channel at customs, possible restrictions on amount of cash we could take abroad etc

Great risk of second referendum in Scotland, and high possibility of breakup of UK

Huge threat posed to Gibraltar from Spain

Major problems in Ireland as north-south border would become an EU- Non EU border

Who would most celebrate a Brexit, in the wider world: Putin

Let's vote with our heads not with reflex and misplaced patriotism.

Let's keep Britain shipshape and Bristol fashion and vote to remain

1 hour ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

Is there an option to leave Europe and join the Caribbean?

Well we are part of the commonwealth - no reason we cannot strengthen those ties - they have a combined population far greater than the EU and their economies, populations, GDP and future look better than the EU for sure. We seem to be tethering ourselves to a sinking corpse still obssessed with political/social and legal union whilst the rest of the world continues to break out of the shackles and competes in world that the EU simply never saw coming.

Archived