IGNORED

Spanish Cider

Murraysrightplum

26 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

So apparently there is a huge cider region in the North of Spain, particularly around Oveido. They are obsessed with it apparently. Sounds like we should reach out to our Spanish cousins and get a friendly/tour  or some sort of link!?

Spanish cider is very different to its West Country counterparts... Cheaper and stronger though, so you may be on to something here!

57 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

So apparently there is a huge cider region in the North of Spain, particularly around Oveido. They are obsessed with it apparently. Sounds like we should reach out to our Spanish cousins and get a friendly/tour  or some sort of link!?

Spend the odd business trip in Oviedo. The Cider is called Sidre it's strong and poured by trained waiters into a tilted glass whilst looking forward without looking at the glass. You normally only pour an inch or two into the glass.

13 minutes ago, NYTRAM said:

Spend the odd business trip in Oviedo. The Cider is called Sidre it's strong and poured by trained waiters into a tilted glass whilst looking forward without looking at the glass. You normally only pour an inch or two into the glass.

Sounds like a rather stingy egg cup full

My sister always said cider was the cure for many ailments, I was eventually convinced one day when I inadvertably overheard a phone conversation with one of her friends where she exclaimed that when she gets a ***** in her hand she can't wait to get it in cider..... Cure all ain't the half of it !!

sorry for the spelling 

3 hours ago, El Hombrecito said:

Spanish cider is very different to its West Country counterparts... Cheaper and stronger though, so you may be on to something here!

I've got 23 Litres brewing in the shed right now at about 7% and costing about 40p a Litre.

It will be going with me on hols to Tenby in 3 weeks time:yes:

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

anyone  new Thatchers Hazy yet?

I don't mind it, I saw an advert pushing the 'Haze cocktail'. Haze, 2 shots of Gin some lime and cucumber and other shit. Tried it Friday, without the lime (Mrs has a slight allergy) and cucumber (it doesn't like me) , so basically Haze and gin. I like it.

14 hours ago, NYTRAM said:

Yep. I recall getting bollocked for pouring my own. If I remember correctly they also pour it with the glass held as low as possible and the cider as high as possible. 

16 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Yep. I recall getting bollocked for pouring my own. If I remember correctly they also pour it with the glass held as low as possible and the cider as high as possible. 

Exactly Fordy.It is a strange custom though. 

5 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

They also make lovely cider on the Côte de la Granite Rose in Brittany 

Correct! A friend once brought me back some sort of liqueur Scrumpy from Brittany!

Back in 1982, the only way to watch England in the World Cup that year was to buy a package deal. The cheapest was camping in a small village just outside San Sabastian, home of Real Sociadad and the Basque region HQ.

My mate and I to celebrate beating France in the opening game, walked into the village and noticed that the only bar served Cidras/Sidras. The barman poured the cider from the bottle just like on the video above.  

I was made for the night. No lager....Bring me cider! Well, I drank loads of bottles.  What's more I awoke in the morning without a hangover. I thought that I had not let the side down by the amount I could drink...... and it was cider!

Later on that day I was informed that the sidras/Cidras I has been drinking like water, might as well have been. It was non-alcoholic!

The moral? Even though it looks great in the way it's poured,  the way it looks,  smells and tastes. ...it might not be alcoholic! 

I was drinking this stuff only last weekend in San Sebastien and Bilbao. I like it.

The problem is they serve it a few 'inches' in a glass at a time. So I got a bit tired of going up 10 times to ask for another! Just give me a pint.

How strong is it? It didn't feel that bad to me!

14 hours ago, Alessandro said:

I was drinking this stuff only last weekend in San Sebastien and Bilbao. I like it.

The problem is they serve it a few 'inches' in a glass at a time. So I got a bit tired of going up 10 times to ask for another! Just give me a pint.

How strong is it? It didn't feel that bad to me!

In Málaga they leave the bottle on the table so although they like to pour it themselves, we* just helped ourselves.

*I say we, but I didn't touch the stuff. Cerveza all the way for me.

On 14 May 2016 at 19:30, CyderInACan said:

Plenty of Sidrarias in Bilbao. If you're really adventurous try the Leche de Pantera

Leche de Pantera? Sounds f*!?ing hostile!

Anyway, I thought there was only 2 types of cider - singing cider and fighting cider

On 15/05/2016 at 06:55, CyderInACan said:

They also make lovely cider on the Côte de la Granite Rose in Brittany 

As I said above, the Basques love it https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagardotegi (note: each guest may drink as much cider as they like...) 

anyone  new Thatchers Hazy yet?

I'm heading to San Sebastian in Sept and will be visiting the cider house whilst there so will report back!

On 15/05/2016 at 08:54, NYTRAM said:

Exactly Fordy.It is a strange custom though. 

They also do the same with a slightly carbonated wine they produce in the region Txakoli. Only know this as I was in a Basque bar in Soho on Saturday called Pix, which serves some really good pintxos.

Archived