IGNORED

Words,names and phrases that should be banned on otib

Ivorguy

15 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

I'm not sure everyone does though.  Some people do get extremely agitated when other express their opinion and they disagree with it.  IMO/IMHO can diffuse that and head it off IMHO.

Most of the others I agree with.

Yep, 'IMO' changes a statement that is FACT to an opinion which the poster is acknowledging could be incorrect.

My gripe is with 'IMHO' - your HONEST opinion? That's too much for me, the 'honest' but is so unnecessary! :P

11 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

What a miserable bunch of moaning frockers we are .

:disapointed2se:

Don't think that has to be  posted on here Major - it's taken for granted.

50 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yep, 'IMO' changes a statement that is FACT to an opinion which the poster is acknowledging could be incorrect.

My gripe is with 'IMHO' - your HONEST opinion? That's too much for me, the 'honest' but is so unnecessary! :P

I thought it was HUMBLE ?

2 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

EARLY DOORS (general usage online and in almost every other post match interview nowadays) ...

We all know what it's supposed to mean but where did it come from in the first place?

...... & Why?

I'm blaming Ron Atkinson as he seemed to be the first to use it in commentary, and presume it was a misuderstanding of 'Early Days'

14 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Pwoper Nawty 

Stacey Penton

Cod Lot

All are forum jokes that have passed their sell-by date.

As for calling other teams by semi-humorous, vaguely pejorative nicknames.  I think all sets of fans do this and have done since Old Carthusians thought up an offensive nickname for Royal Engineers.  Probably.

...snigger...Dirty Spanners...snigger...

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I forgot about 'cod lot' - a really tired that's apparently funny to phraseabout two or three posters. Time to bin it.

Has anyone mentioned 'Horace the hedgehog' yet? :fear:

* Cod Lot ........ not an in joke, just another local 'Bristolianism' a once widely used phrase that is slipping slowly into disuse - in favour of the more common Universal term 'fish & chips' (The Bristolian 'cod lot' is rapidly disappearing as the influx of 'outsiders' from London and elsewhere increases) 

Was once as common in Bristol as 'pie 'n mash shop/jellied eels' used to be in London. 

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I thought it stood for 'Humble'??!!

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

"But they won didn't they....oh wait!"

What the hell are we waiting for?! You know what you posted was wrong but went for the full comedy effect with the inclusion of 'oh wait...'

Totally hilarious.....

Posters who write ' totally hilarious ' .

It's all about taste , some people find Whale and Pace funny , for example ...

Auto correcter changed ' Hale ' to ' Whale ' so it's Auto correcter's joke . ( totally hilarious )

Archived