IGNORED

Current odds for us

Hartcliffe red

2 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

surprised to see wolves so low in the running

Surprised at us to be honest. With LJ's performance since being at the helm seems we are amongst the wrong group. That said I'd have us longer odds than we are; but I'd have others longer odds than even us. 

Other than the top four and the bottom two, the whole field is between 20:1 and 33:1 so it is pretty much a 'no one knows' book at the moment. Only one that jumps out to me is Wolves third favoriate to go downl Some mistake surely.

Teams still involved in play offs also not included yet. 

29 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

After the bookies lost a packet on Leicester last season, odds for any team will suffer from now on. 

The bookies will be rubbing their hands expecting a glut of outside bets from people hoping their team can do a Leicester. Although I do believe a few betting companies have said they won't offer 5000-1 again.

57 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

After the bookies lost a packet on Leicester last season, odds for any team will suffer from now on. 

Except they banked all the money on Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool and Spurs towards the end. 

15 minutes ago, harrys said:

Make no mistake, the bookies made a fortune on Leicester winning the prem

Whenever the favourite doesn't win, kerching. 

5 minutes ago, NeilS said:

We could, but it does look we will be setting our sights at a realistic levet this time. However a great team spirit could see us improve on this seasons position, anything is possible, see Leicester.

Let's see what players we bring in first. 

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

The bookies didn't lose on Leicester.  

2 hours ago, 29AR said:

Except they banked all the money on Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool and Spurs towards the end. 

1 hour ago, harrys said:

Make no mistake, the bookies made a fortune on Leicester winning the prem

Please don't get a job as a financial adviser or decide to become a professional gambler.  The bookies lost anywhere from £10m to £25m  on Leicester winning the Premiership, depending on which newspaper you read. They made a lot of money on individual match bets through the season and took money on bets for other teams winning the league, but due to the amazing odds of 5,000 - 1 on Leicester, they had a net loss on the league winners bets. A typical quote from Simon Clare of Coral’s:

“The total ante-post stakes on the Premier League are actually quite small. Our total was £1m across both retail and online, which pales into insignificance against what we take on Saturdays on the three o’clock kick-offs. But no bookie can ever have seen losses like this on the singles market on one league, because you would never take the stakes, or lay prices like this. We’ve done £2m,(loss) so across the industry, it’s possibly £20m. (loss)”

12 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Please don't get a job as a financial adviser or decide to become a professional gambler.  The bookies lost anywhere from £10m to £25m  on Leicester winning the Premiership, depending on which newspaper you read. They made a lot of money on individual match bets through the season and took money on bets for other teams winning the league, but due to the amazing odds of 5,000 - 1 on Leicester, they had a net loss on the league winners bets. A typical quote from Simon Clare of Coral’s:

“The total ante-post stakes on the Premier League are actually quite small. Our total was £1m across both retail and online, which pales into insignificance against what we take on Saturdays on the three o’clock kick-offs. But no bookie can ever have seen losses like this on the singles market on one league, because you would never take the stakes, or lay prices like this. We’ve done £2m,(loss) so across the industry, it’s possibly £20m. (loss)”

My understanding was that while one bookie (which had disproportionately high take up in Leicester, name escapes) took a blasting, all of the others were still creaming it in off the back of the Leicester win

Not sure about our odds, but our ranking in that list looks about right. We've only got half a team and I am a little concerned about the change to the loan system. Our recent adventures in the championship have been heavily dependant on loans. There are so many players we need to bring in, I am hoping that there are three teams left in the championship that depend on loans even more than us. Lets hope all this talk of us being the talk of the championship actually comes to something. 

1 hour ago, internetjef said:

My understanding was that while one bookie (which had disproportionately high take up in Leicester, name escapes) took a blasting, all of the others were still creaming it in off the back of the Leicester win

The Telegraph estimated that the total losses by bookies is approx £25m,  The Financial Times estimate is approx £50m, which seems a bit high.  Whatever the real figure, this was spread over most bookies. The only bookies likely to not have made a loss were the small independents with the odd shop here or there.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/02/leicester-city-win-premier-league-and-cost-bookies-biggest-ever/

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9689fb6a-0e15-11e6-b41f-0beb7e589515.html

Individually, William Hill made a £2.2m loss. Coral made a £1.7m loss. Skybet made a £4.7m loss, with similar figures for other bookies. The BBC's headline sums it up;

"Leicester City: 'Every bookmaker is crying out in pain' "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36192924

Archived