IGNORED

Current odds for us

Hartcliffe red

26 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Let's face it if Newcastle get Benitez then they'll walk the Championship next year, no point in betting on anyone else.

Definitely, the squad they have is Premier league capable, their final game, albeit against a spurs team already on the beach, showed that. The question is, can they hold onto the players and Benitez

3 minutes ago, City169 said:

Definitely, the squad they have is Premier league capable, their final game, albeit against a spurs team already on the beach, showed that. The question is, can they hold onto the players and Benitez

I hope they don't hold onto all their best players & Benitez as then maybe it'll become a little bit less of a Newcastle / Aston Villa jizz-fest next season for Sky & the like..

Oh well, will make a change from Leeds being on week in week out.

12 hours ago, pongo88 said:

The Telegraph estimated that the total losses by bookies is approx £25m,  The Financial Times estimate is approx £50m, which seems a bit high.  Whatever the real figure, this was spread over most bookies. The only bookies likely to not have made a loss were the small independents with the odd shop here or there.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/02/leicester-city-win-premier-league-and-cost-bookies-biggest-ever/

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9689fb6a-0e15-11e6-b41f-0beb7e589515.html

Individually, William Hill made a £2.2m loss. Coral made a £1.7m loss. Skybet made a £4.7m loss, with similar figures for other bookies. The BBC's headline sums it up;

"Leicester City: 'Every bookmaker is crying out in pain' "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36192924

Trust me that's bookie talk, they love it when a rank outsider wins an event, they are crying out in pain because they had to pay out money at the end of the season to a couple of dozen punters and paying out at the end of a season is what they always do, bookies will use lies, damned lies and statistics to try and play the poor old bookie card, for every single winning Leicester betting slip there would of been literally thousand and thousands of losing betting slips on all the other Premiership clubs, do not be fooled by "bookie talk" 

23 minutes ago, harrys said:

Trust me that's bookie talk, they love it when a rank outsider wins an event, they are crying out in pain because they had to pay out money at the end of the season to a couple of dozen punters and paying out at the end of a season is what they always do, bookies will use lies, damned lies and statistics to try and play the poor old bookie card, for every single winning Leicester betting slip there would of been literally thousand and thousands of losing betting slips on all the other Premiership clubs, do not be fooled by "bookie talk" 

Exactly - there's no point debating what they lost on a single team. You have to consider the whole picture and what they gained on the losing favourites.

19 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

Just scrolling through the thread, not finished yet - got to this post and had a good laugh. You're wrong. Terribly wrong.

Spot on, Bookies made a fortune on Leicester winning the league. Bookies are pissing themselves at the simpletons who think they lost a fortune.

1 hour ago, EmersonsRed said:

Just scrolling through the thread, not finished yet - got to this post and had a good laugh. You're wrong. Terribly wrong.

The money the bookies made on the majority of bets that were placed on the big teams far outweighs the relatively few bets placed on Leicester.

20 hours ago, pongo88 said:

After the bookies lost a packet on Leicester last season, odds for any team will suffer from now on. 

You really think the bookies lost much?

they made plenty back from all the people lumping on the top 4 teams every weekend that were inconsistent

7 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Let's face it if Newcastle get Benitez then they'll walk the Championship next year, no point in betting on anyone else.

They have to be hot favorites although the championship is a slightly different animal than most of his career.  

However over a season the best team will win out, look at Leicester! 

3 hours ago, harrys said:

Why should I trust you?

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

You believe what bookies tell you!  Wow

1 hour ago, MurrayLives said:

The money the bookies made on the majority of bets that were placed on the big teams far outweighs the relatively few bets placed on Leicester.

Without giving away whom for, before I moved to work in lower-league football I worked for a major UK bookmakers in the financial department. There are posts on a few betting threads probably 8/9 months ago about this. I know how it works.

ALSO Ladbrokes declared a predicted £2.5m loss if Leicester won the league 2/3 weeks before the season ended. Due to the fact they have shareholders etc and the week before announced their worse ever Cheltenham. People are reading too much into the 5000/1, all this includes in-season bets. I myself made a £300 profit from a bet I placed on Leicester on Bet365 to win in January.

20 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

Without giving away whom for, before I moved to work in lower-league football I worked for a major UK bookmakers in the financial department. There are posts on a few betting threads probably 8/9 months ago about this. I know how it works.

ALSO Ladbrokes declared a predicted £2.5m loss if Leicester won the league 2/3 weeks before the season ended. Due to the fact they have shareholders etc and the week before announced their worse ever Cheltenham. People are reading too much into the 5000/1, all this includes in-season bets. I myself made a £300 profit from a bet I placed on Leicester on Bet365 to win in January.

So you're saying an outsider won but the bookies still lost OVERALL on the Prem betting for the season?

28 minutes ago, Leveller said:

So you're saying an outsider won but the bookies still lost OVERALL on the Prem betting for the season?

Yes he is, because the situation is unusual. It's very simple why this apparently strange situation is true.Normally when an outsider wins the bookies are happy due to the odds for the outsider and the number / ratio of bets paced.  Take the Grand National for example.  If an outside wins, the maximum odds are likely to be 100-1, and usually much less.  Very few people will have bet on the outsider but thousands will have bet on the other 30 ish horses so the amount paid out to the winner is miniscule compared to the rest of the bets.

With the Leicester Premiership bets, everything is different.  First, the amount placed on who win the Premiership is relatively small compared to that taken on individual match day bets. Second is the  ridiculous odds offered at the beginning of the season.  5,000-1 was the same as that offered for Elvis being found alive! This meant that a relatively small number of bets placed on Leicester @ 5,000-1 would easily overwhelm the other bets. Last, but very importantly, bets were taken on Leicester throughout the season.  The odds were much less than 5,000-1 but as the season progress more and more bets were placed on Leicester as they were no longer regarded as outsiders.  They were favourites for a lot of people. If you look at the chart in the link below you can see that you could still get 100-1 up to the point they played Man Utd. Even after that, the odds were very good for a team at the top of the league. Although the punters who placed bets at 5,000-1 have received lots of publicity, there are many who placed bets at lower odds during the season who have won money. 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/how-odds-leicester-winning-premier-7736523

24 minutes ago, harrys said:

I was in the betting industry for over 20 years, is that enough reason to trust me?

Trust an ex bookie? You must be joking! (But I like you)

16 hours ago, City169 said:

Haven't they just spent 9 months proving that they aren't Premier league capable...?

Archived