IGNORED

Luke Freeman - Future

Coppello

After storming League One in our promotion season, like most, I have been disappointed by Luke Freeman's progression over the recent campaign. Of the League One squad, I thought he was most likely to go on and impress in the Championship but clearly this hasn't been the case.

The midfield is an area that LJ and MA are keen to strengthen over the summer and I am not sure where this will leave Freeman. He's only 24 and clearly has a number of years to develop. Where does everyone see his future and could he be leaving in the summer? 

Does he flatter to deceive?  On numerous  chats to either opposition fans after games    or in discussion in passing the time of day with other people in other walks of life  Or they have seen him on the TV  they always say " whos the one with the long hair?" " he is some player"  " he is your best player"  etc  etc  

Too soon to write off imho.

got a chance to get his head down in pre-season and come back as a player who is more relaxed on the ball.  All too 100mph at times.  Look how Tomlin at a standstill looks so threatening.

Didnt hit the heights last season, but he did have a spell mid season where he looked better.

I'm all for giving him the benefit, and not be on his back, but I do expect an improvement in 16/17 or I think he'll be moved on.  Rated by lots of other club's fans.

I think there's more to come from him. With better players around him and in the right formation I think he'll come good. I'm sure he'll have learned from last season. On paper he's the sort of player we're looking to sign anyway, a young, work in progress player that's done well in the lower half of the league.

He will find his form next season I'm sure and to write him off now would be unfair. 

I know he frustrated the hell out of me and many others this season but that doesn't make him a poor player overnight, his confidence never looked anything like last year and a good pre season with LJ and new faces could do the trick. 

He's only ever played at L1 level.

And, despite being on the books at Arsenal, he was signed by them from Gillingham aged 16. Hence, he has not really had top flight development, as some often claim.

He's good - he could be a lot better. But I think expectation is WAY too high. Next season I think we will see him develop.

I know I'm in the minority but quite happy to see the back of him in honesty. Didn't like him last year and didn't the year before. If we could have him play when we get a set piece id keep him unfortunately we can't. Lack of quality in open play and runs into blind alleys. 

5 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

I know I'm in the minority but quite happy to see the back of him in honesty. Didn't like him last year and didn't the year before. If we could have him play when we get a set piece id keep him unfortunately we can't. Lack of quality in open play and runs into blind alleys. 

Not sure I can put up with another season watching him. He was truly woeful last season.

I'm in the give him another chance camp. It's all hope but he could have a good pre season at a position LJ wants him to play. Tbf to him his season was a bit stop start. Some of it his doing but it wasn't an easy season for him. Had a pre season then had a 3 game ban from the second game. That gave him about a month off with International breaks. Then he came back to a struggling side. Then the manager was sacked and he found his playing time sporadic and when he did play it was in a different position, one he hasn't played for a couple years. 

I was just as frustrated as the next guy but there is ability there. He seemed a step slower this season and hopefully he gets in shape to be a winger next season. I'm willing to get off his back and see how it pans out. As someone stated, he's the type of player we would be recruiting anyway. That's what we are trying to do, take unfinished articles and turn them into players. We have to be patient at times. 

Much improved second half of the season once moved out to his natural position on the left or right rather than in the middle.

Looked at times LJ has told him to be more direct and to cut out the 50 step overs each time he gets the ball. Based on this I wouldn't be disappointed to see him in the starting line up come August as I believe he could have a great season.

Lets not forget it was his first season at this level as well.

27 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Much improved second half of the season once moved out to his natural position on the left or right rather than in the middle.

Looked at times LJ has told him to be more direct and to cut out the 50 step overs each time he gets the ball. Based on this I wouldn't be disappointed to see him in the starting line up come August as I believe he could have a great season.

Lets not forget it was his first season at this level as well.

Wasn't it the same for nearly all the team? He certainly never improved in the second half of the season Bobby was a class above him.

Disappointing season, but he will learn a lot from it considering this was his first at championship level. Hopefully he will have more influence on the team next season. Just a shame a few on here are almost waiting for him to fail. 

3 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Disappointing season, but he will learn a lot from it considering this was his first at championship level. Hopefully he will have more influence on the team next season. Just a shame a few on here are almost waiting for him to fail. 

No most are just giving an honest opinion of what they saw all season.

Keep and even renew deal for me. The lad needs a confidence giving boost. He never shirked once last season but all that was lacking was conviction - the belief in himself that he would put the ball in the net or make the killer pass; but at least he kept trying and kept putting himself in the position. I've no doubt it will fall in place; he has the attributes  

Great in our promotion season, but as everyone has set didn't push on last season. Seems to slow the game down so much with his step overs, if he's not doing them he's picking himself up off the floor.

Tomlin of course wasn't quick as such, but was so much easier on the eye. Hopefully Freeman has learnt something from the master, but I'm not sure how much more Freeman has to give. Ultimately his lack of goals is a concern for me. 

23 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Keep and even renew deal for me. The lad needs a confidence giving boost. He never shirked once last season but all that was lacking was conviction - the belief in himself that he would put the ball in the net or make the killer pass; but at least he kept trying and kept putting himself in the position. I've no doubt it will fall in place; he has the attributes  

Would be complete madness, you don't give him a confidence boost by giving him a new contract. You earn a new contract.

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

He needs a good pre-season, sort his fitness (and his hair) out and I think he will come good. As others have said, he has had a difficult season, as had Joe B, and deserves a chance to prove himself.

Totally agree. The bloke needs his ****** hair cut off and stop prancing around and just concentrate on the game at hand. He should probably work on trying to become comfortable with both feet as well, rather than constantly doing 180's or 360's!

Don't doubt Freeman's commitment, but he was very clearly trying too hard to impress and that didn't help his cause. Unfortunately commitment and being a trier doesn't add up to that much when it comes to getting results. He spent the majority of the season falling over, running down blind alleys and refusing to get a ball in with his right foot, didn't quite offer what I was hoping for....

His game wasn't coming naturally to him, he was overthinking too much it seemed & this constantly led to him slowing down the tempo of the game. Real issue.

Alright from set pieces, but from open play he offered nothing for me. Squad player perhaps, but if we start our opening game on 6th August with Freeman in the side then I for one will ultimately be disappointed with how our summer recruitment will have panned out. Maybe he would have a better impact as a player that comes on with 20/25 minutes to go?

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Imagine if you got promoted at work and then struggled for six months before being told you were being sacked!  Give the guy a break and back him like proper fans should 

Yes let's give him a new contract and a pay rise. You don't reward poor performances. Nothing against the lad he was our best player a few seasons back but is clearly out of his depth at this level.

10 minutes ago, Super said:

Would be complete madness.

No, madness would be letting a player with a significant resale value run down his contract.

I'm not saying reward him with a bumper wage, but the residual wage costs over, say, a one or even two year extension are probably no more than his current market value even if only as a very good League One player. It's a very low risk gamble in the case that he does come back from a pre-season and performs as many can see he is capable of (even if not yet there) - it's pretty unthinkable to me that we wouldn't be able to get at least half a million for him even on the basis of his performances this season; so why not invest that in giving him another year?

For me, given he's only fairly recently turned 24, it's an absolute no brainer to try to keep him and develop him.

He's obviously extremely technically gifted - his quality and assist record at set-pieces would back that up - but I'd be working double time on the mental aspect of his game.

Whenever I see him play, as soon as he makes one bad decision in possession he'll compound it by making another two or three in quick succession, be it positionally or be it the next time he gets the ball. The fans then get on his back, his confidence plummets and, although he'll show great resilience in that he keeps asking for the ball, he'll continue making the wrong choices because he's over-thinking everything.

I'd be giving him a year extension on his deal and spend the summer convincing him he's a quality player and work on the timing of his passing and runs, something LJ has already identified in him publicly.

Ultimately, of course, it's something he'll have to learn to understand, manage and deal with himself. But, as I say, given his age and record I'd still be trying to unlock the bit of magic I think is there.

7 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

You are not alone. He was good in promotion season but long from being a stand out in my eyes. Isnt ruthless enough and hasnt scored a goal at AG - for a player like him that is a very bad stat.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but if he doesnt perform well early doors its time for him to move on late in August or in January.

Archived