IGNORED

Luke Freeman - Future

Coppello

Lacking confidence, as simple as that really. Got found out too often in the Championship last season, just needs to be a bit more clever on the ball in this league.

Hopefully a good pre-season with a few strong performances and we will get the old Luke back.

1 hour ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Didn't Super Bob (PBUH) have a mediocre season after promotion? We then sold him the season after.

Our Lord Bob Almighty suffered with hamstring problems and I'm pretty sure that the club did n't think he'd ever get back to the level he was hence they were happy to cut an' run .

One of West Brom's best ever signings .

10 hours ago, Coppello said:

After storming League One in our promotion season, like most, I have been disappointed by Luke Freeman's progression over the recent campaign. Of the League One squad, I thought he was most likely to go on and impress in the Championship but clearly this hasn't been the case.

The midfield is an area that LJ and MA are keen to strengthen over the summer and I am not sure where this will leave Freeman. He's only 24 and clearly has a number of years to develop. Where does everyone see his future and could he be leaving in the summer? 

Certainly not to be cast aside...still a youngster really and has shown enough at times to give hope he can improve again.bit of a flair player and you know how they can be!..also will need to hold a few in the squad as the emergency window no more so bases to be covered....

I'd love to see the reaction on here if we sign a (supposed) attacking player this summer that in 44 appearances last season managed one comedy deflected own goal and managed to create one goal in open play. I'm only half joking when I say that Bobby Reid matched Freeman's season output in five minutes against Derby.

Give him a new contract to give him a confidence boost? Sure, while we're there lets assure him of another 50 games at Ashton Gate and hope unlike the previous 50 he actually manages to score a goal. Yes 50 games at home over two seasons, not one single goal. Not one. Not even a massively deflected scuff like at Portman Road. Zero goals. Nought. 0.

His decision making is poor, he ability to play or see a killer pass is non existent (notice how much better Kodjia's runs seem when Reid or Tomlin is playing behind him rather than Freeman), his crossing is nothing other than chipping it into the keeper like he's warming him up pre game and when it comes to shooting, other than a free kick against us for Stevenage I don't think I've ever seen him strike a ball cleanly. 

He enormously flatters to deceive and there are loads and loads of players who may not be as 'talented' as Freeman and who may not do as many Cruyff turns, but would actually deliver a hell of a lot more.

I’d sell him. There’s no doubt his work rate and his commitment. He’s an honest type player and seems a decent lad.

But, he’s proven time and again this/last season that he’s simply not good enough at this level. And he’s had more than enough chances to prove the doubters wrong. I’ve said it before, he’s a player who lacks a good footballing brain. He’s not really thinking one or two passes ahead. He’s a head down and run type of player. His crossing is woeful and his finishing is the worst in the team. In a team of poor finishers. He should have scored at least 5 goals this season. He’s had the chances. Very good ones.

I don’t think he learned a thing this year. He’s had good spells (the few games he played coming back after suspension) and a purple patch around January (?). He can certainly beat players for fun but then undoes all his good work by going backwards. That lack of a quality final touch sets his game back enormously.

He didn’t start our last 3 matches. Johnson had said now was the time for people on the fringes to prove themselves. I don’t think he did. Having said all that, unless we bring in two decent midfielders, and because of the size of our squad, my hunch is that Johnson will want to keep him. For now. But, long gone are the days when he’d be guaranteed to start.

3 hours ago, 29AR said:

Keep and even renew deal for me. The lad needs a confidence giving boost. He never shirked once last season but all that was lacking was conviction - the belief in himself that he would put the ball in the net or make the killer pass; but at least he kept trying and kept putting himself in the position. I've no doubt it will fall in place; he has the attributes  

That, and the ability to not fall over his own feet after running five yards!

Having said that, I don't think he was helped by Cotterills insistence on playing him when he really needed dropping to the bench and easing into the league.  He was clearly struggling to make the step up, but whilst I don't agree in any way shape or form in giving him a new deal at this time, I do agree that we need to see what LJ can get out of him over the pre-season and see if he can find the form he was showing in league one and convert it to Championship standard.  

See how he's getting on by December and if he's managed to leave last season as a distant memory then look to extend at that point if he's out of contract next summer.

8 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

That, and the ability to not fall over his own feet after running five yards!

Having said that, I don't think he was helped by Cotterills insistence on playing him when he really needed dropping to the bench and easing into the league.  He was clearly struggling to make the step up, but whilst I don't agree in any way shape or form in giving him a new deal at this time, I do agree that we need to see what LJ can get out of him over the pre-season and see if he can find the form he was showing in league one and convert it to Championship standard.  

See how he's getting on by December and if he's managed to leave last season as a distant memory then look to extend at that point if he's out of contract next summer.

For me the main point is what do we gamble by extending his contract? Will his wages exceed his likely transfer value... if we get a one or two year extension that's unlikely: even if he doesn't kick on. By all means if he has unreaslistic demands or a deal cannot be done which protects our investment don't offer, but if all parties are sensible then it seems a no-brainer to me. Otherwise we risk a saleable asset, and one capable of generating interest, in the shop window as a freebie. I'd say the same of Derrick Williams for instance if his wasn't renewed.

7 minutes ago, 29AR said:

For me the main point is what do we gamble by extending his contract? Will his wages exceed his likely transfer value... if we get a one or two year extension that's unlikely: even if he doesn't kick on. By all means if he has unreaslistic demands or a deal cannot be done which protects our investment don't offer, but if all parties are sensible then it seems a no-brainer to me. Otherwise we risk a saleable asset, and one capable of generating interest, in the shop window as a freebie. I'd say the same of Derrick Williams for instance if his wasn't renewed.

It is a risk, that's the trouble.   Extend his contract by another year and you have two years worth of contract that another club would need to probably match if it doesn't work out for us.  That reduces the clubs that would be able to buy him from us as realistically you'd be looking at league one clubs, who won't be able to pay Championship wages.  That's why I'd advocate giving him a chance to earn an extension by the end of the year.  I do get what you're saying, but personally I do feel that financially it would be a gamble.

12 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I can see your point, I'm just looking at it in football terms that you can be completely hopeless all through a season then get offered a new deal. If this club is to progress we need to be ruthless.

Jury's out for me. When I've seen him play he has been a bit predictable. Goes on a run, a couple of stepovers and then cuts inside. Hopefully next year we will see more of him and his obvious talent

For me and @Shtanley can back me up, I also don't think he was that good in our promotion season. 

Granted he got 21 assists but of those 21 only a handful were from open play. He rarely scores and to have never scored at AG is abit farcical. 

He has immense talent over a dead ball but in open play I just don't see it, I don't get wowed by the odd stepover or Cryuff turn. For me now would be a great time to sell him.

The most frustrating thing for me about him is he does the same things he was doing 2 years ago and still hasn't learnt or adapted his game. 

10 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

For me and @Shtanley can back me up, I also don't think he was that good in our promotion season. 

Granted he got 21 assists but of those 21 only a handful were from open play. He rarely scores and to have never scored at AG is abit farcical. 

He has immense talent over a dead ball but in open play I just don't see it, I don't get wowed by the odd stepover or Cryuff turn. For me now would be a great time to sell him.

The most frustrating thing for me about him is he does the same things he was doing 2 years ago and still hasn't learnt or adapted his game. 

I actually thought he was our best player he made that team tick. 21 assists is still a great total in any league. League one looks his level though.

Our best player in the promotion season & can surely be coached to iron out the faults that predominated in 2015/16 - and which, if we're honest, Kodjia often shared (ie blind alleys, overplaying, wrong decisions). Kodjia though scored goals, which makes a helluva difference.

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Our best player in the promotion season & can surely be coached to iron out the faults that predominated in 2015/16 - and which, if we're honest, Kodjia often shared (ie blind alleys, overplaying, wrong decisions). Kodjia though scored goals, which makes a helluva difference.

Really? Doesn't sat much for Korey, Aden and several others if that is true. He is probably a very nice guy, talented controller of a footballer but a very good example of the old maxim; "What is the difference between a Fourth and First Division player?

Answer; The top two inches."

10 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

He seemed a step slower this season and hopefully he gets in shape to be a winger next season.

This, 100% this for me...

I don't care too much about his size / shape (some say he is ripped, others say over weight - Tomlin gives the lie to that type of fact), he is just too slow, in foot and sometimes in mind.

He needs to quicken up on the pitch and be able to run hard for 90 minutes. If not he will end up back in league 1. Which would be a shame as his talents should allow him to play at a higher level.

I suspect it could be diet / lifestyle that is holding him back, but that is just a guess without any evidence (so true to this forum!!) 

(corrected typo!)

52 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

This, 100% this for me...

I don't care too much about his size / shape (some say he is ripped, others say over weight - Tomlin gives the lie to that type of fact), he is just too slow, in foot and sometimes in mind.

He needs to quicken up on the pitch and be able to run hard for 90 minutes. If not he will end up back in league 1. Which would be a shame as his talents should allow him to play at a higher level.

I suspect it could be diet / lifestyle that is holding him back, but that is just a guess without any evidence (so true to this forum!!) 

(corrected typo!)

Yea I'm not too sure. He just looked a bit slower this season past than he did the promotion year. Seemed he did put on a bit of weight and it hampered him a bit. He was playing in the middle though and maybe thought he needed to be stronger to not get knocked off the ball but he doesn't need that on the wing. I suspect a summer of winger training will get him to be a threat again. The ability is there. Saw flashes of it this season with the ability to beat a man and whip a ball in. He can do it but needs the coaching and repetitions for it to become new habit. 

9 hours ago, 29AR said:

No, madness would be letting a player with a significant resale value run down his contract.

I'm not saying reward him with a bumper wage, but the residual wage costs over, say, a one or even two year extension are probably no more than his current market value even if only as a very good League One player. It's a very low risk gamble in the case that he does come back from a pre-season and performs as many can see he is capable of (even if not yet there) - it's pretty unthinkable to me that we wouldn't be able to get at least half a million for him even on the basis of his performances this season; so why not invest that in giving him another year?

6 hours ago, Fat Cigar said:

I’d sell him. There’s no doubt his work rate and his commitment. He’s an honest type player and seems a decent lad.

But, he’s proven time and again this/last season that he’s simply not good enough at this level. And he’s had more than enough chances to prove the doubters wrong. I’ve said it before, he’s a player who lacks a good footballing brain. He’s not really thinking one or two passes ahead. He’s a head down and run type of player. His crossing is woeful and his finishing is the worst in the team. In a team of poor finishers. He should have scored at least 5 goals this season. He’s had the chances. Very good ones.

I don’t think he learned a thing this year. He’s had good spells (the few games he played coming back after suspension) and a purple patch around January (?). He can certainly beat players for fun but then undoes all his good work by going backwards. That lack of a quality final touch sets his game back enormously.

He didn’t start our last 3 matches. Johnson had said now was the time for people on the fringes to prove themselves. I don’t think he did. Having said all that, unless we bring in two decent midfielders, and because of the size of our squad, my hunch is that Johnson will want to keep him. For now. But, long gone are the days when he’d be guaranteed to start.

6 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

It is a risk, that's the trouble.   Extend his contract by another year and you have two years worth of contract that another club would need to probably match if it doesn't work out for us.  That reduces the clubs that would be able to buy him from us as realistically you'd be looking at league one clubs, who won't be able to pay Championship wages.  That's why I'd advocate giving him a chance to earn an extension by the end of the year.  I do get what you're saying, but personally I do feel that financially it would be a gamble.

3 really interesting posts, but highlight that you either protect your assets or cut loose early whilst there is current value.

Its a real dilemma.

I'm definitely in the don't write him off yet camp, because I think he has untapped potential.  I can see why others would get shot.  But how much are you willing to pay to get a player who gives us an uplift on Freeman in what is going to be a season where bigger squads are needed.

I'd focus on improving him.  He may not start as first choice next season, but who knows who will come to the fore?  Joe Bryan had a pretty poor campaign until Wolves away, when he found his feet and gained confidence.  It is a game of fine lines.

Lots of posts on this topic from posters that I respect but Bearded Red's lengthy one completely sums up my view.

For all the optimism over "coaching" him next season how on earth do you improve his split second decision making, which is so very poor?

He also sadly doesn't possess that killer asset, whether it be pace, strength or as Walshy memorably did, that "trick" that buys you the vital half a yard necessary to use the ball well at this level.

I also didn't detect any discernible improvement in his performances even when he was playing in a side that was winning far more often later in the season.

Bobby Reid pleasantly surprised me with the contribution that he made when given his chance, Freeman was the complete opposite and I would not be at all bothered if we moved him on this summer, in fact I'd go as far as to say I'd rather keep Waggy.

Archived