IGNORED

Prince Andrew

BigTone

4 hours ago, BigTone said:

Is it possible to have him put down and put us out of our misery ?

Won't happen Tone. My advice is ignore all the royals and their privileged life of luxury. I look at them as tourist attractions.

17 hours ago, Robbored said:

Won't happen Tone. My advice is ignore all the royals and their privileged life of luxury. I look at them as tourist attractions.

Has any tourist - ever - come to London because Prince Andrew lives there?

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Has any tourist - ever - come to London because Prince Andrew lives there?

Not just to see him but his mum, dad and every other member of the monarchy. The Japenese and the yanks just love em.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Not just to see him but his mum, dad and every other member of the monarchy. The Japenese and the yanks just love em.

The Japanese also love slaughtering whales and most Yanks ............................................................................................................ (fill your insult in).

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Do they see them? Or do they actually just stare at the rather unimpressive front of Buck House. Which, let's face it, they could do if the Royal family didn't exist.

Four of the five top tourist destinations in the World are republics incidentally. 

23 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Do they see them? Or do they actually just stare at the rather unimpressive front of Buck House. Which, let's face it, they could do if the Royal family didn't exist.

Four of the five top tourist destinations in the World are republics incidentally. 

I'm no royalist by a long chalk but one argument to keep them is that their presence stimulates our economy largely through tourism and the effect their "status" has upon our various  trade partners, particularly those outside of Europe. 

Not a convincing argument in my book, given how much they cost to run. 

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I'm no royalist by a long chalk but one argument to keep them is that their presence stimulates our economy largely through tourism and the effect their "status" has upon our various  trade partners, particularly those outside of Europe. 

Not a convincing argument in my book, given how much they cost to run. 

Replace them with mechanised waxworks. Save a fortune. 

Didn't Charles once reckon the Chinese leadership were "appalling old waxworks"?  Damn cunning,  those Orientals. 

37 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Replace them with mechanised waxworks. Save a fortune. 

Didn't Charles once reckon the Chinese leadership were "appalling old waxworks"?  Damn cunning,  those Orientals. 

I take it you're a republican then Robbo?

19 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yes. Having a hereditary head of state makes no more sense than having a hereditary dentist. 

It's historical - that's largely what the Americans love about us Brits. The history of our country. They obviously don't have history longer back then 1492. 

Purely my accident I met two Americans and their wives when they were looking at our local church. They were amazed that it had stood since Norman times. They had no concept of antiquity whatsoever. The expression "jaw dropping" fitted them perfectly.

The big tourist attractions in this country are Canterbury, Oxford and Stratford-upon-Avon.  I guarantee that only a fraction of one percent actually see a member of the royal family.  So, let's forget the myth that the lard-arsed Yanks and camera toting Japanese come here to see members of the House of Windsor.  They are irrelevant and the sooner we become a republic the better.

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 19:39, Robbored said:

It's historical - that's largely what the Americans love about us Brits. The history of our country. They obviously don't have history longer back then 1492. 

Purely my accident I met two Americans and their wives when they were looking at our local church. They were amazed that it had stood since Norman times. They had no concept of antiquity whatsoever. The expression "jaw dropping" fitted them perfectly.

I find it even more amazing that any Americans would be visiting Nailsea

20 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I find it even more amazing that any Americans would be visiting Nailsea

It wasn't in Nailsea Tone. It was the village church at West Lavington in Wiltshire where my sister lives and my parents are buried. They were travelling to Stonehenge just 8 miles further on.

They were impressed by almost every rural village having a church of great age and were stopping to look around some of the ones they passed on route. The lady asked why some churches were open and others locked. Good question.....

31 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It wasn't in Nailsea Tone. It was the village church at West Lavington in Wiltshire where my sister lives and my parents are buried. They were travelling to Stonehenge just 8 miles further on.

They were impressed by almost every rural village having a church of great age and were stopping to look around some of the ones they passed on route. The lady asked why some churches were open and others locked. Good question.....

That makes more sense

On 5/23/2016 at 13:39, Robbored said:

I got married in High Ham church, and a friend from the US was there with his wife:  I summed it up as "the church was built before we invented you lot."

On the subject of the royals, I'm with Red-Robbo on this.

5 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I guess they would be but would you really want to have to choose between Tony Blair and Boris Johnson?

No, but you could have a non-political, non-executive head of state - as in Ireland, Germany  etc.

The American or French model isn't necessarily the only type of republic.

7 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:
7 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

No, but you could have a non-political, non-executive head of state - as in Ireland, Germany  etc.

The American or French model isn't necessarily the only type of republic.

It would be nice but the reality is that the process would be hijacked by the party machines, just like the police & crime commissioner elections were, and we`d end up with some Tory/Labour puppet.

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

It would be nice but the reality is that the process would be hijacked by the party machines, just like the police & crime commissioner elections were, and we`d end up with some Tory/Labour puppet.

No quitet the same though,RRH. You'd need someone with genuine national recognition and popularity to won that contest.

I'd have no objection if the Queen was voted in and served a fixed term on a salary. It happened in Bulgaria - the deposed King was elected president. 

38 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

No quitet the same though,RRH. You'd need someone with genuine national recognition and popularity to won that contest.

I'd have no objection if the Queen was voted in and served a fixed term on a salary. It happened in Bulgaria - the deposed King was elected president. 

The Queen probably is the only person who would fit those criteria unless they can persuade Ant and bloody Dec to stand!

Archived