IGNORED

TEN MONTHS of traffic chaos around Ashton Gate on the horizon

phantom

On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 18:45, ChippenhamRed said:

It's a step in the right direction and there is nothing to say the frequency can't be increased in the future.

I would prefer to reserve judgement until it's finished rather than rushing to declare it a failure before the work has even begun.

Too bloody late then :( It's the wrong choice made for the wrong reasons. If pretty well every other major city on England can have a real Metro, why can't we?

On 25 May 2016 at 00:13, Monkeh said:

they are using the electrification as an excuse to hide a major **** up on the project Tom, there is absolutely zero chance of the Portishead lines being electrified unless it was using the 3rd rail system, (a dc conductor rail which is along side the running rail as apposed to the overheads)

I was just about to mention about the 3rd rail but thought if they are raising a bridge to accommodate electrical gantries it must mean rails are old hat; surely the reason cannot be otherwise in this day and age can it? Lordy law.

On 31 May 2016 at 19:58, Aizoon said:

This is utter bollocks. Why not just reopen the rail link between Ashton Gate Junction and Wapping Wharf?

Makes perfect sense but nah. They stupidly took the bridge down from BTM and built over the tracks by redcliffe. You could have still had a light railway/tram line from BTM to where the railway starts at MShed

5 hours ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

Yes. Aizoon started showing major symptoms of Berkery in 1991.

Why the question, sweet thing?

Uncle TFR

Is it Berkery or Berkeley? And you won't believe the difficulty I had in getting that past my smell chucker.

I had an increasingly rare visit to Bristol over the weekend, so decided to take the missus and kids to see Ashton Gate. I couldn't quite believe how long it took me to crawl from the centre of town, through Bedminster and down Winterstoke Road.

I was planning on getting out and having a look round, but thanks to the time it took, I ended up having to knock the idea on the head. Annoying.

Bristols traffic is really the worst , i work away all over the country and when people moan about the traffic i just laugh at them and tell them you should come to Bristol and then you will see traffic problems. Of all the places i have worked in the last ten years i cannot think of anywhere worse , the issues are daily and the same occuring trouble spots with nothing ever done about them only ever added to. I know how to speed the flow up lets put a pelican crossing here or a traffic light that will help or lets build more office space and not improve roads. Dont start me on the M32 and coming into Bristol from that direction ......UUrrghh..!!

1 hour ago, East Yorkshire CideRed said:

I had an increasingly rare visit to Bristol over the weekend, so decided to take the missus and kids to see Ashton Gate. I couldn't quite believe how long it took me to crawl from the centre of town, through Bedminster and down Winterstoke Road.

I was planning on getting out and having a look round, but thanks to the time it took, I ended up having to knock the idea on the head. Annoying.

Were you drunk ? 

55 minutes ago, Turbored said:

Bristols traffic is really the worst , i work away all over the country and when people moan about the traffic i just laugh at them and tell them you should come to Bristol and then you will see traffic problems. Of all the places i have worked in the last ten years i cannot think of anywhere worse , the issues are daily and the same occuring trouble spots with nothing ever done about them only ever added to. I know how to speed the flow up lets put a pelican crossing here or a traffic light that will help or lets build more office space and not improve roads. Dont start me on the M32 and coming into Bristol from that direction ......UUrrghh..!!

Er, I have to say London is worse.

But, yeah, Bristol is not very good....

30 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Er, I have to say London is worse.

But, yeah, Bristol is not very good....

I had to drive into central London with work a few months ago (public transport wasn't an option for reasons too complicated to explain).  Thinking I would miss the worst of the rush hour traffic, I left the car park at 3:30, and promptly travelled a whole 2 miles in the first hour and a half, eventually getting home to Chippenham at 9pm!

Just now, ChippenhamRed said:

I had to drive into central London with work a few months ago (public transport wasn't an option for reasons too complicated to explain).  Thinking I would miss the worst of the rush hour traffic, I left the car park at 3:30, and promptly travelled a whole 2 miles in the first hour and a half, eventually getting home to Chippenham at 9pm!

Indeed. I once spent two hours negotiating a two mile stretch of the A3 in suburban Surrey. The reason for this tailback? A lorry breakdown had blocked just one of the four lines...

• Admin

An update:

Weekend closure of Winterstoke Road: December 2016

Winterstoke Road, Bristol will be closed for one weekend in December for the construction of a new bridge for MetroBus.

A full closure of Winterstoke Road from the Ashton Gate Underpass to the roundabout with Barons Close/Wedlock Way will take place from 8pm Saturday 3 December to 8pm Sunday 4 December.

The road will be closed in both directions. Diversion routes will be in place and clearly signed.

Ashton Gate Stadium and Cala Road trading estate

MetroBus are working with Bristol Sport to ensure football and rugby fans are kept informed about the road closures.

Bristol City Football Club have a home game at 3pm on Saturday 3 December. We expect that match day traffic will have cleared by 8pm when the first road closures take place.

Any vehicles parked in the Cala Road trading estate will need to be removed by 8pm on the Saturday or risk being held until 8pm on the Sunday until the works are completed.

43351159-291a-4835-bb9c-2a44bbb4e2fb.jpg

Match days

Bristol Sport’s Supporter Services team are investigating how to relocate supporters with Avonline seasonal car park bays during rugby matches. They will also remind football fans about the 8pm cut off to leave the Avonline car park.

Saturday 3 December: Bristol City v Ipswich Town

Full closure from Wedlock Way roundabout to Ashton Gate Underpass on Saturday 3 December 8pm to Sunday 4 December 8pm.

Cars parked in Avonline car park will need to leave by 8pm.

Sunday 11 December: Bristol Rugby v Pau

Part-closure between Barons Close and Ashton Gate Underpass (in the direction heading away from Ashton Gate towards the Long Ashton Bypass/Portway) from Saturday 10 December 8pm to Sunday 11 December 8pm.

Minor diversion of approximately 430 metres will be in place and sign-posted.

Winterstoke Road will remain open but Avonline car park will be unavailable.

Saturday 14 January: Bristol City v Cardiff City

Part-closure between Barons Close and Ashton Gate Underpass (in the direction heading away from Ashton Gate towards the Long Ashton Bypass/Portway) from 8pm Saturday 14 January 8pm to Sunday 15 January 8pm.

Sunday 15 January: Bristol Rugby v Bath

Part-closure between Barons Close and Ashton Gate Underpass (in the direction heading away from Ashton Gate towards the Long Ashton Bypass/Portway) from Saturday 14 January 8pm to Sunday 15 January 8pm.

• Admin

Winterstoke Road closed this weekend

It won't affect many (if any) for the match day, but am sure there are some on here who would use this area over the weekend

Winterstoke Road in South Bristol will be closed from 8pm Saturday 3 December to 8pm Sunday 4 December for the construction of a new MetroBus bridge.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Archived