IGNORED

Bristol City just got bigger

Fantastic result for all us fans of BCFC tonight as well as Bristol Rugby. The implications of our Rugby cousins finally entering the promised land will harden Steve Lansdown's resolve ( as well as a few other things) to continue his mission for Bristol Sport and most importantly -Bristol City FC.  Finally- he's got a team in the Premiership and I believe it will make him even more determined to do the "double" with us. A crucially important result.

This is brilliant news everybody and WELL DONE STEVE LANSDOWN & WELL DONE  the City of BRISTOL!

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

Will it really benefit us? 

Will prove to SL he can invest in a top flight rugby team. Sadly next season expect the rugby to have bigger crowds than us

Bet you a £10 we have a higher average attendance 

45 minutes ago, phantom said:

Will prove to SL he can invest in a top flight rugby team. Sadly next season expect the rugby to have bigger crowds than us

I really believe so, Phantom. SL and particularly Maggie have a greater love of the round ball. The prize of getting BCFC into the Prem would make Bristol Rugby's excellent achievement look like winning the JPT final in comparison.

Our attendances will be much higher on average. For every Gloucester there's an an Aston Villa.

50 minutes ago, phantom said:

Why is it sad? It's a different sport! We are not competing with them. In fact big crowds for them just means more money in the Bristol Sport pot, which can only be good news.

8 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Bet you a £10 we have a higher average attendance 

Well, last night, according to the BBC, there were 18,000 inside the Gate. So if the Rugger boys are gonna continue to fiddle the attendance figures next season we have no chance. Unless of course 1500 of them watched from an unfinished Westie.

On a serious note would filling the Gate for a Rugby match likely be the highest prem crowd of the day? I suspect if they get over 20k regularly they could be one of the best supported teams; cue... Someone with average attendance stats in the rugby top flight please. :)

18 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Well, last night, according to the BBC, there were 18,000 inside the Gate. So if the Rugger boys are gonna continue to fiddle the attendance figures next season we have no chance. Unless of course 1500 of them watched from an unfinished Westie.

On a serious note would filling the Gate for a Rugby match likely be the highest prem crowd of the day? I suspect if they get over 20k regularly they could be one of the best supported teams; cue... Someone with average attendance stats in the rugby top flight please. :)

Bristol Sport control the figures and the attendance announced at the ground was 16,084, which I know was the number of tickets sold, not who necessarily went through the turnstiles, but it was full!

45 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

All the staff complimentary tickets were in W18, the block right next to the new West Stand. This area isn't on sale to the general public yet. It's not a huge block but would seat quite a few, so that would boost the numbers as well as there being no segregation in the Atyeo. There were also loads of staff stood pitch side etc.

There were a lot of people there last night. I queued for 20 minutes to get a drink half an hour before the match then gave up. People were constantly coming back to their seats during the match saying the queues were 'massive'. I'm sure many missed much of the match because they were queuing. I spent all of HT queueing for the loo! This was the first big test of the food outlets serving food and drink throughout the match to a big crowd. People were buying the 2 pint jugs, everywhere you looked people were drinking.

They must have made an absolute killing on the alcohol sells last night. Late in the match a man appeared near us, I was told he was Head of Concessions (food outlets). Bristol were just about to lift the trophy and he had a huge grin on his face, maybe he was a rugby fan but I bet it was just as much because of the huge demand for his food send drink outlets!

• Admin

The queues for drinks were ridiculous and something they will seriously need to look at.  I've never had to wait this long at large events at Wembley or the O2 or suchlike, which means they're doing something wrong.

I think they need to relook how they manage the queues as one long queue per bar isn't the best.  Why not have one queue per till as per other large venues?

Before the game it seemed like none of the 2 pint glasses had been pre poured so everyone had to wait.  By half time they had cottoned on to this and were pre-pouring.  

They sold out of John Smiths before the game even started too!

7 minutes ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

Big win for Bristol Sport, which can only help BCFC, and the coffers in general.

Will further raise the profile of the stadium, TV coverage.

Kerching.

Uncle TFR

I agree Unk

10 minutes ago, redmycolour said:

Just a thought? Now promoted how about Bristol RFC changing there colours to RED.then all three teams including the ladies playing in same colour.Thoughts

I imagine they will keep to a red/white away strip and we will have navy blue a little more often making Red/white   Blue/White our colours

This was before kick off. Maybe around 7pm - the queue wasn't to bad when I joined, but when I moved to my seat it was back to the turnstiles. 

I went for a wee about 20 mins in and it was still pretty heft, so held off getting another jug and got some pints from outside at half time - that took the entirety and play had resumed by the time I was served.

I guess it's fair to point out that it's a stadium, not a night club, and watching the game is the most important provision, something they've got bang on in the new stadium, but from a financial point of view Bristol Sport really do need to look at maximising sales, something I don't think is there quiet yet.

image.jpeg

13 minutes ago, redmycolour said:

Just a thought? Now promoted how about Bristol RFC changing there colours to RED.then all three teams including the ladies playing in same colour.Thoughts

Strong rumours that may be the case, which has led to some pretty heavy disagreements behind the scenes.

The queues in the Dolman part of the concourse at HT were utterly ridiculous. 2 pint steins are brilliant as you don't have to queue up as much but we really really need to get it right as the attendances next season will test our capabilities to the limit. I'm sure @Mkelly has it under control? 

• Admin
9 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Why is it sad? It's a different sport! We are not competing with them. In fact big crowds for them just means more money in the Bristol Sport pot, which can only be good news.

I mean it's sad as in that I would love to see us being the side bringing in the bigger crowds - not in a literal sense

38 minutes ago, redmycolour said:

No.  Bristol Rugby play in blue.  History, tradition.  Changing colours is up with changing the name for me.  It's their identity.

Bristol Rugby will have the second largest stadium in the Premiership next season.  If they can get around a 20K average they'd be comfortably in the top 5 for averages.

Saracens', Irish and Quins' averages get boosted by their occasional Twickenham games.  But Sarries' Allianz Park only holds 10K, and they often only sell 7-8K.  It's only really Leicester and Wasps that will have a dedicated home stadium to rival AG.

Personally I reckon the only absolutely guaranteed sell out is Bristol v Bath.  Bath regularly fill the Rec, which is 13.5K.  With Bristol so close and the rivalry rekindled I can see them bringing up to 10K fans.  Remember, there's no segregation at the Rugby.

3 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Great for Bristol, and I will certainly be at the Bath and Gloucester games. Going to need a huge jump in quality mind to compete against such strong squads

I think you can rule Gloucester out of that group

Will be weird to be sat at Ashton Gate and being an away fan.....g'wan Glos

I think people are forgetting how many 4x4s are required to get Rugby fans to AG, especially if Bath visit.  If 25,000+ rugby fans converge then they'll need to bring their chauffeurs to drive around during the game looking for a place to park.

3 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I am often in Cheltenham so have to suffer the cherry and whites from friends, indeed you have flattered to deceive . Some great quality but not through the team. However, from what I have seen, you need a great defence in the Prem, and the jump is almost as significant as it is in football. Be interesting to see what Bristol do with their squad. Buying hasbeen southern hemisphere players is a road to ruin mind. 

We have a lot of great young talent, but they either seem to become injury magnets, or are off to the bigger clubs before we see the best of them. We are attracting a lot of these southern hemisphere 'hasbeens' right now, I guess it's all about getting lucky. Exeter have proven it can work, they have a lot of Aussie's there, sprinkled in with their great young English talent

I'm glad Brizzle are back up though, always I game I enjoyed and will be the first games I look for when the fixtures come out, that's for sure. I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure SL will look after the rugby squad, he hasn't worked this hard to get up to let it go to pot (although I did say that about us this time last year, and that didn't play out too well!)

Archived