IGNORED

Chris Evans and Top Gear

Cloggie

There were times during the programme that Evans was using venacular  very similar to Clarkson who I thought wrote his own script. Obviously not......

The format was similar as well. Evans and LeBlanc playing silly buggers just as the previous three did. Le Blanc isn't a natural host and was very wooden. 

It was watchable tho and I'll get watch next weeks.

Trying to copy messers Clarkson May and Hamster. A very poor imitation and both came across as being wooden.

They should have come up with their own style... it has the makings of a copycat shambles if they continue in its current style.  Was hard watching, not enjoyable just hard work.

I feel sorry for them, it was always going to be tough following the old presenter's. Chris Evans was ok but not great but the other lot including matt were awful. The biggest mistake made was trying to follow the old format they should have ripped it up and started from scratch, it came across as a cheap imitation of a great show.

They had the perfect point to reboot the program like they did when Clarkson returned previous. The current format was somewhat tired in places. I think it would have been better than just trying to put Evans in Clarksons place

10 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Evans was trying so hard not to be Clarkson that he ended up doing a very good impression of him.

Must be the script writers that haven't changed but just the hosts. Fairly obvious mistake to make tho and that the BBC didn't think to rewrite the show is typical BBC.

Hopefully Evans and particularly LeBlanc relax more as the show develops. That said the entire series is already in the can........

10 hours ago, hay dens party said:

I feel sorry for them, it was always going to be tough following the old presenter's. Chris Evans was ok but not great but the other lot including matt were awful. The biggest mistake made was trying to follow the old format they should have ripped it up and started from scratch, it came across as a cheap imitation of a great show.

in the case of Evans, who doesn't need the money it's his giant sized ego that wouldn't allow him not to take this gig on, somethings are better left as they were, BBC might have been better looking for fresh faces for once and not paying out huge wages for has beens all of the time.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

in the case of Evans, who doesn't need the money it's his giant sized ego that wouldn't allow him not to take this gig on, somethings are better left as they were, BBC might have been better looking for fresh faces for once and not paying out huge wages for has beens all of the time.

Not a fan, eh?

Uncle TFR

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

Must blript writers that haven't c hanged but just the hosts. Fairly obvious mistake to make tho and that the BBC didn't think to rewrite the show is typical BBC.

Hopefully Evans and particularly LeBlanc relax more as the show develops. That said the entire series is already in the can........

Entire series already in the can? -sounds like the Beeb could've saved us some viewing pain and some licence fee by putting the whole lot in the bin instead.

Shame , I was looking forward to it but indications so far suggest I'm gonna be disappointed. 

1 hour ago, WhistleHappy said:

Entire series already in the can? -sounds like the Beeb could've saved us some viewing pain and some licence fee by putting the whole lot in the bin instead.

Shame , I was looking forward to it but indications so far suggest I'm gonna be disappointed. 

Evans was interviewed by the Welsh piece on the One Show and was saying how much he and Le Blanc enjoyed filming the series but that he was relieved that it was completed. He said he and LeBlanc got on well and become firm buddies.

I liked it. It definitely needs to change more though. More about cars and not challenges. That's one of the things that totally put me off Top Gear prior. That and the massive egotistical morons that are Clarkson and Hammond. The show became less about cars and more about these two muppets.

Evans also needs to chill somewhat on the enthusiasm when he is in the studio. Felt over done and forced. His pre recorded stuff was fine. I also thought Matt Leblanc was funny.

Was really excited by the prospect of lots of hosts, each bringing their own area of expertise but it turned into just Chris running around shouting and Matt just not being able to sync with him. What made top gear good was not so much the individuals that were Clarkson, Hammond and May, but that they were actually friends. That was very evident on screen in their chemistry. I cannot see this between Chris and Matt. 

For me they should have picked a main host, perhaps Chris although I would not have picked him myself, and told him or her to get their friends from the TV world to help run the show. I believe Clarkson hand picked both May and Hammond. 

The trouble is, if they had completely changed the show you would of had loads of people saying there was no need to change it & how it WAS a great show!!

So they don't really change it & you get loads of people saying that it was the perfect chance to change it!!

Kind of a no win situation, they had a show that over the years had grown massively in popularity & clearly went with the idea of just replacing the presenters.

Now I'm not a massive Evans or LeBlanc fan (neither do I dislike them) but I think it would of been handy to have someone presenting that was a "carhead" first & foremost, not two "C-list" celebrities who just so happen to have more money than sense & in turn have more cars than sense!!

I find it hard to believe that anyone remotely interested in cars was excited to see half the show spent on driving Reliant Robins (or whatever model they were) & two aging army vehicles going head to head in meaningless tasks on Blackpool beach!!

And I'm by no means a "carhead" & I was by no means interested in watching what I have mentioned in the above paragraph!!

That said, there was no football or any other sport for that matter on to watch & I've no doubt I will end up tuning in next week to watch it in the hope that it's improved but I doubt it will of, because as mentioned by other posters, it sounds like they have already recorded every episode!!

Watched 1/2 of it on catch-up (I is well tech-savvy), yesterday.

Turned it off. Shockingly poor.

Evans - staid and out of his depth.

The yank - why?

Poor copy of previous incarnation, without the originality and genuine humour.

What are the BBC thinking of???

Only positive was the German(?) female racing driver. With the addition of some leather - and a tail - it could be a runner.

:thumbsup:

Uncle TFR

The original Top Gear became old and stale and was revived when Clarkson/Hammond came on board and reinvented what the show was.  But after 10 years of it, the revived version of Top Gear was becoming old and stale and was badly in need of change even before Clarkson decided to punch somebody over a steak.

Where this new Top Gear is going wrong is by keeping the format the same as Clarkson's version.  They are doing a bad impression of a show that was already getting stale.

I like Chris Evans on TFI Friday etc, he just needs to make this into his own thing and revamp the show.  

To be fair though, there has only been one episode, the first series of Clarkson/Hammond (May didn't join until later) was also pretty poor.  As the new guys gel and get into their own groove they may well improve things. 

On 31/05/2016 at 06:19, Tipps69 said:

The trouble is, if they had completely changed the show you would of had loads of people saying there was no need to change it & how it WAS a great show!!

So they don't really change it & you get loads of people saying that it was the perfect chance to change it!!

Kind of a no win situation, they had a show that over the years had grown massively in popularity & clearly went with the idea of just replacing the presenters.

Now I'm not a massive Evans or LeBlanc fan (neither do I dislike them) but I think it would of been handy to have someone presenting that was a "carhead" first & foremost, not two "C-list" celebrities who just so happen to have more money than sense & in turn have more cars than sense!!

I find it hard to believe that anyone remotely interested in cars was excited to see half the show spent on driving Reliant Robins (or whatever model they were) & two aging army vehicles going head to head in meaningless tasks on Blackpool beach!!

And I'm by no means a "carhead" & I was by no means interested in watching what I have mentioned in the above paragraph!!

That said, there was no football or any other sport for that matter on to watch & I've no doubt I will end up tuning in next week to watch it in the hope that it's improved but I doubt it will of, because as mentioned by other posters, it sounds like they have already recorded every episode!!

You could always do something other than watch TV, nobody is forcing you to watch it just because it's the only thing on.

Archived