IGNORED

Heysel tragedy...

BS4 on Tour...

15 hours ago, Miahdennehy said:

It was quite commonplace for fans of other teams to travel to European games back then, I know of (and I suspect others on here do as well) of at least two City who were there, one of whom was arrested and charged.

There is no defending what happened, and while the stadium may have been falling apart, the primary cause was people intent on causing trouble.

Correct Miah but the motivation for the City lads being in Brussels wasn't for agro with Juve. Dont forget how Scousers were treated by home fans and police the previous year in Rome. They were simply not going to put up with that again so when Juve fans started up they were chased across the terracing. The cowards ran away and the poor innocents who wanted nothing to do with trouble became the victims. I am no Liverpool apologist and anyone of a certain age will know that the image presented by Liverpool fans as witty fun loving scallys does not represent the entire fan base - certainly not in the 70s and 80s. However it took two to tango that day but the party which started it in the stadium were as culpable at the reviled Liverpool followers.

Archived