IGNORED

BCFC 1981/82

sglosbcfc

I found this photo on e-bay, I'm guessing 1981 or 82. Does anyone recognise the players, opposition etc? It would appear like it was a decent gate. I think I recognise the black guy playing up front for the opposition but his name won't come to me Keith something I think. City are playing in their Red and Black strip with a robin on the front.

$_57.JPG

I think BS4 is right, Keith Cassels and did he not play for Mansfield for a while? Walwyn was another black striker with a physical edge but I think it looks more like Cassells.

I started watching City in 82-83 so many of those names I have heard of but had left the club before I saw them in action.

19 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

I think BS4 is right, Keith Cassels and did he not play for Mansfield for a while? 

Yes he did....played against us at Wembley in 1987, played upfront alongside Kevin Kent (iirc, haven't checked but I think that was his name). One of my earliest memories watching City, Mansfield broke my heart.

All has been forgiven now of course.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Keith Cassells?

33 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Yes he did....played against us at Wembley in 1987, played upfront alongside Kevin Kent (iirc, haven't checked but I think that was his name). One of my earliest memories watching City, Mansfield broke my heart.

All has been forgiven now of course.

Unfortunately Cassells was the best player on the Wembley pitch when we played Mansfield - those numbers do look like the yellow Forest away kit, iirc....but can't be if the year is correct.  Kent was a right winger / midfielder in the FRT, but did get their goal.

Cassells wasn't at Mansfield in 81/82 though

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Unfortunately Cassells was the best player on the Wembley pitch when we played Mansfield - those numbers do look like the yellow Forest away kit, iirc....but can't be if the year is correct.  Kent was a right winger / midfielder in the FRT, but did get their goal.

Cassells wasn't at Mansfield in 81/82 though

According to Wiki he was at Oxford Utd.

Edit: apparently we played Oxford 6th March 1982, which could be the match in the picture.

11 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

I found this photo on e-bay, I'm guessing 1981 or 82. Does anyone recognise the players, opposition etc? It would appear like it was a decent gate. I think I recognise the black guy playing up front for the opposition but his name won't come to me Keith something I think. City are playing in their Red and Black strip with a robin on the front.

$_57.JPG

Recognise Gary Williams 2nd from right...used to play golf with him.

10 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

According to Wiki he was at Oxford Utd.

Edit: apparently we played Oxford 6th March 1982, which could be the match in the picture.

Div. 3, and on our way down again. Lost 2-0.

Remember that game. Near the end of the match, at 2-0 down, we were puzzled as the middle of the EE more or less emptied, with hundreds of young City fans quietly filing out past us (in the open corner of the EE) and out of the ground.

A couple of minutes later they reappeared, running across the previously sparsely filled City side of the Open end before massing together at the dividing fence and chanting over at the celebrating Oxford fans.

This carried on until the end of the game and outside as well - as we left the ground there was a mass brawl taking place on Ashton Road.

9 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Good shout, I wouldn't go against that - dead ringer

Trevor Steven was certainly playing for Burnley that season.

Along with the likes of Martin Dobson (:chant6ez:BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :chant6ez:) Brian Flynn, Billy Hamilton, Brian Laws and Mike Phelan.

They finished as Champions, and the then 19 year old Steven moved on to Everton a year later.

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Trevor Steven was certainly playing for Burnley that season.

Along with the likes of Martin Dobson (:chant6ez:BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :chant6ez:) Brian Flynn, Billy Hamilton, Brian Laws and Mike Phelan.

They finished as Champions, and the then 19 year old Steven moved on to Everton a year later.

I'd have fancied our chances against that lot at corners! Steven, Flynn, Laws and Phelan were hardly giants.....especially Flynn!

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

No, but it could be Aidan McCaffery! On loan from the Gas for a handful of games around that time wasn't he?

Meant to post this last night but got distracted by the Euro 96 programme, definitely McCaffery.

Archived