IGNORED

Roberto di Matteo named Aston Villa manager

myol'man

• Admin
14 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Looks like Villa mean business, Steve Clarke as assistant manager.

A Villa mate of mine says the new manager will be given a £60m transfer kitty 

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig

Lot's more problems at that club, than chucking money at will solve

Good appointment but that club is rotten. Reminds me of us when we were relegated to L1 a bit but on a grander scale. Needs a total overhaul like we had.

They'll get back in the prem within 2 or 3 seasons, I personally don't think they'll do it automatically next season. A massive job and there are going to be some good sides in this league.

15 minutes ago, !james said:

Two Champions League winning managers in the Championship next season then!

Amazing really. Not even like they're older managers who have won things a long time ago, we're talking 2 champions league winners from the last 11 years.

They'll go straight back up, or at least make the playoffs easily. Really can't see them having the trouble people suggesting they will. They'll still surely be the second most attractive proposition for players in the league. 

Great managerial appointment as well. 

55 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

They'll go straight back up, or at least make the playoffs easily. Really can't see them having the trouble people suggesting they will. They'll still surely be the second most attractive proposition for players in the league. 

Great managerial appointment as well. 

I think much will depend on who stays and who goes from current squad.  Rumours of Grealish to Stoke already.

As we've seen from the likes of Derby, splashing £20-30m holds no guarantees and they had a top end squad already.

I did mention RDM as a possible manager for us in the winter.  He does know life outside of the Prem, and will have good contacts, but everyone will be out to beat them, especially at Villa Park.  Would not like to predict their season.

The Championship will increasingly in my opinion cease to be dominated by money for transfers and instead those clubs with a proper infrastructure will in the end build success on firmer foundations than clubs attempting to buy success with players who won't necessarily either gel together or perform individually.

Sooner have, for example, our current keepers than James, truly the worst I've seen in goal for City in 65 years of watching them.

COYR

Believe in Lee and his team of coaches and scouts.  First signing today bang on the money

5 hours ago, phantom said:

Just curious what people are actually basing their theories that they will go back up next season on ?

I agree, I think both Newcastle and Villa are in for a nasty surprise. Norwich know what the championship is all about though so would see them as the better bet tbh 

24 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Everyone said the same about Newcastle last time.

Standard in the championship a lot higher this time round and not saying they won't be thereabouts but they won't runaway with it and Villa I can't see them going up next season and will be mid table at best

5 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Standard in the championship a lot higher this time round and not saying they won't be thereabouts but they won't runaway with it and Villa I can't see them going up next season and will be mid table at best

It's a strong league but for me Newcastle are by far and away the standout club. Villa I'm not so sure about autos but would be amazed if they weren't top 6. 

Thats the great thing about he championship though. Barring a handful of obvious stand outs at either end, it's hard enough trying to split the 24 into 'top half' and 'bottom half' let alone into final positions!

Archived