IGNORED

Vardy to Arsenal?

Bristol Rob

11 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

That's all fine and dandy. But he's settled at Leicester and has great chemistry with the club, fans, and players around him. If he goes to Arsenal, I don't think it will be the same. And I do not believe he will replicate the same form at Arsenal he has with Leicester. If he goes, it's a case of money and I do not blame him. If he stays, it's a case of playing football and being settled in the environment around him. Again, I do not blame him.

I don't think there is any right or wrong decision in this for him.

It's a risk for Vardy, no question. But at the age of 29, with a career spent mostly in the lower leagues behind him, imagine getting to the end of your career having turned down a move to The Arsenal. You would have to live with the "what if" forever. Personally I would grab it with both hands.

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

He will be the next Francis Jeffers if he goes to Arsenal.

Simply unsuited to Arsenals style of play, and does anyone actually believe the hype? More of a cult hero than a great footballer.

I agree that I don't think he'd suit Arsenal as well as Leicester but you don't score 24 goals at that level without having something about you.

He's a very instinctive, clinical finisher and his pace means he's going to get opportunities in almost every game. 

13 minutes ago, Selred said:

Yes Vardy has had a great season, but look at his stats from the 3 seasons before.

14-15 Prem 5 goals in 34 - Poor.

13-14 Champ 16 goals in 37 - Average.

12-13 Champ 4 goals in 26 - Poor.

Don't think so really, just show she needs one season to adapt. 13/14 is basically 1 in 2!! That's hardly average..

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Don't think so really, just show she needs one season to adapt. 13/14 is basically 1 in 2!! That's hardly average..

7 players have got 16 goals or more this season in the Championship, to be a leading scorer that's average in my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, Selred said:

7 players have got 16 goals or more this season in the Championship, to be a leading scorer that's average in my opinion. 

1 in 2 is good at any level in my opinion. 

If Vardy does go, Leicester would do worse than to try and bring in Andre Gray. Also lightning quick, great finisher and similar background with that determination and fight of someone who's risen up the leagues.

8 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Robin van persie 

That was a ridiculous signing at the time, I agree, but he had scored in the top flight for a while. And his game suited United a lot more than Vardy's suits Arsenal. 

3 hours ago, Nibor said:

That was a ridiculous signing at the time, I agree, but he had scored in the top flight for a while. And his game suited United a lot more than Vardy's suits Arsenal. 

Vardy deserves a big pay day, so happy for him if he signs.

The Leicester folk can't feel too negative towards the transfer. It'll deffo set him up for life and it'll be something else he never thought would happen.

Whether he makes much of an impact is another matter. Another chapter in his own fairy tail.

A no-brainer or a signing for me, I think he'll do very well at Arsenal and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Mahrez and/or Kanté follow him to The Emirates.

For £20m, signing a player who is everything Olivier Giroud isn't, is an easy decision. As mentioned earlier it's the same ball park as spent on Balotelli previously.

I do find it funny though the Man Utd fans piping up about signing Ibrahimovic. That's an incredibly risky signing IMO, he's 36 and has never played in the Premier League, and will cost the thick end of a quarter of a million every week. Compare that to Vardy who would cost £100k a week, is literally bang in his prime now so will be at this level for 2/3/4 seasons, and is proven in the league.

I know who I'd go for and it's not Zlatan. Mind you, with a manager like Mourinho I can't say I'm surprised!

I love them suggesting they 'turned down' Vardy too - the release clause applies to Champions League clubs only...

Zlatan is very marketable. I doubt his net cost to United will be very much, if anything. 

Arguably Vardy similarly probably wouldn't be such a net outlay. 

Even still, the money in the PL means neither of these deals will be much cost. 

53 minutes ago, Fordingbridge Pirate said:

A no-brainer or a signing for me, I think he'll do very well at Arsenal and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Mahrez and/or Kanté follow him to The Emirates.

For £20m, signing a player who is everything Olivier Giroud isn't, is an easy decision. As mentioned earlier it's the same ball park as spent on Balotelli previously.

I do find it funny though the Man Utd fans piping up about signing Ibrahimovic. That's an incredibly risky signing IMO, he's 36 and has never played in the Premier League, and will cost the thick end of a quarter of a million every week. Compare that to Vardy who would cost £100k a week, is literally bang in his prime now so will be at this level for 2/3/4 seasons, and is proven in the league.

I know who I'd go for and it's not Zlatan. Mind you, with a manager like Mourinho I can't say I'm surprised!

I love them suggesting they 'turned down' Vardy too - the release clause applies to Champions League clubs only...

I think Vardy may struggle. Leicesters quick counter attack style of play last season was made for him.

50 goals in 51 games this season for 6'5 Ibrahimovic suggests he'll be fine at United, even if he is 36.

32 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

I think Vardy may struggle. Leicesters quick counter attack style of play last season was made for him.

50 goals in 51 games this season for 6'5 Ibrahimovic suggests he'll be fine at United, even if he is 36.

In a ridiculous French league, that they won in March. That's like Samaras scoring for fun in Scotland.

2 hours ago, Fordingbridge Pirate said:

In a ridiculous French league, that they won in March. That's like Samaras scoring for fun in Scotland.

More like Rangers striker Marco Negri - scored 32 goals in only 30 games and left cos he was bored of scoring in just about every game! Lost his competitive edge.....

2 hours ago, Fordingbridge Pirate said:

That's as stupid as Taylor being better than Kodjia to be fair. Have you seen his honours? League winners with ever club he's been with, over 1/2 throughout his career spanning Spain, Italy, Sweden, Holland, Internationally; champions league team of the season, champions league most total assists in one year, UEFA team of the year four times....

49 minutes ago, 29AR said:

That's as stupid as Taylor being better than Kodjia to be fair. Have you seen his honours? League winners with ever club he's been with, over 1/2 throughout his career spanning Spain, Italy, Sweden, Holland, Internationally; champions league team of the season, champions league most total assists in one year, UEFA team of the year four times....

I think the pirate has a point. He was a tremendous player, no one arguing that, but he is 36 now and the Prem is a more physical league than any of those. He has had it (relatively) easy for the last few years in France

6 minutes ago, City169 said:

I think the pirate has a point. He was a tremendous player, no one arguing that, but he is 36 now and the Prem is a more physical league than any of those. He has had it (relatively) easy for the last few years in France

His game is technique not physicality though. I think his quickness of mind will outfox most centre backs he's up against over here. I think he's going to be a superb signing. Almost akin to when Utd signed Teddy Sheringham and his subsequent return to Spurs too - for some, age does not take away from their strengths. Just like being fat doesn't Tomlin :icecream:

3 minutes ago, 29AR said:

His game is technique not physicality though. I think his quickness of mind will outfox most centre backs he's up against over here. I think he's going to be a superb signing. Almost akin to when Utd signed Teddy Sheringham and his subsequent return to Spurs too - for some, age does not take away from their strengths. Just like being fat doesn't Tomlin :icecream:

Fair point, and he has the physique to be able to handle some physicality.

i think he will have a field day against some teams, but really struggle against others, not the consistency he has had for the past few years

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Signing a four year extension with Leicester City

Fair play to him for sticking with them, Arsenal were offering £120k pw and Leicester just agreed £100k pw (though not sure Arsenal would have suited his style of play)

Teams sit deep vs Arsenal and as we saw against Slovakia, Vardy is not at all suited to teams who sit deep.

Vardy is a one season wonder. He and Lecester will find it much more difficult next season. Teams will have worked him/them out and I doubt they'll achieve a top half finish. 

One of the big boys will reclaim the PL title. I hope it's Arsenal.

Archived