IGNORED

Canary Islands in January?

BRISTOL86

Anyone been this time of year? Looking for a short haul break in Januay where we have a decent chance at some lounge by the pool weather and seems to pretty much be Canaries or nothing!

I spent a lot of time there as a kid but it was a little bit later, normally Feb/Mar if I recall correctly....

General consensus online seems to be generally warm enough for pool and beach (avg highs of 21ish) but risk of occasional less pleasant days and maybe a bit chilly in the evenings which is fine as you can use indoor bars and layer up. 

Anyone been in Jan in recent years that can comment on their experience?

I've been several times toTenerife, Gran Canaria and Lanzarote all in the months of Jan,Feb and March. Apart from one week in Feb the weather was lovely. 

If your a youngish guy there's loads of clubs, pubs and females to pass the time and if you're and older guy like me there loads of restaurants and sea based activities along with markets and other outlets for the missus. 

You'll enjoy it. 

Thanks both, 30y/o with long term girlfriend - both with demanding jobs so our idea of a break will be to chill the hell out for the time we're there - led by the pool reading and lapping up the all inclusive beer is the plan, well mine anyway! :) 

Found a nice looking place on Fuertaventura which seems to tick all the boxes

Futeventura is ideal if you don't want to get out and about much. More sun and less rain than the other islands. You'll probably get 22 degrees and wall to wall sunshine. Even when only 22 watch out for the sun rays there.... Much stronger than UK and southern Europe.

25 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Thanks both, 30y/o with long term girlfriend - both with demanding jobs so our idea of a break will be to chill the hell out for the time we're there - led by the pool reading and lapping up the all inclusive beer is the plan, well mine anyway! :) 

Found a nice looking place on Fuertaventura which seems to tick all the boxes

Best to forget Madeira for 10 years or so :shifty:.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am not sure what age you are or what your interests are, but look in to Madeira - not really for youngsters/teenagers, hence my comment re. your age.

A beautiful, scenic island with lovely walks and almost guaranteed good weather.

Wonderful food and drink as well.

I'm hoping to get a freebie there soon. My son's Portugese girlfriend lives with us, and her parents have just moved there. Hopefully she doesn't chuck him before we get a free holiday!

Having been to various Canary Islands, I'd say January is a bit of a lottery weather-wise. We were in Fuetraventura one year in mid-Feb in lovely weather and lazing around the pool. Met up though with a few guests and they said they were freezing in overcoats the week previous.

Late Feb is the earliest I'd go for decent sun and temps. 

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think we've just talked ourselves into Dominican Republic instead. Only about £200 a head more and less of a gamble on the weather by the looks of things,..plus a place I've never done before. 

Do Cuba mate amazing place.

7 minutes ago, Super said:

Do Cuba mate amazing place.

Cuba has become very expensive. The prices have doubled in ten years .

I'm with Super on this though , great people the Cubans . Well éducated , very open and friendly.Always ready to party .

Just don't do the ' all in ' tourist  traps, like Varadero. They are sinister. 

We went to Tenerife (not my choice -an extended family outing!) on Jan 2nd a few years ago and had scorching weather for most of the fortnight with just a few days of rain. Of course, it's still warm on rainy days so jumpers are definitely not required.

4 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think we've just talked ourselves into Dominican Republic instead. Only about £200 a head more and less of a gamble on the weather by the looks of things,..plus a place I've never done before. 

More of a Gamble I would suggest than Futeventura.  Futeventura has more sunny days less rain and less cloud than Dominican Republic, although Dominican Republic will have warmer temperatures.

Tenerife is a gamble, has a micro climate because of Mount Teide

for 1 week I would go to the Canaries, 2 weeks Dominican, IMO

1 hour ago, TRL said:

More of a Gamble I would suggest than Futeventura.  Futeventura has more sunny days less rain and less cloud than Dominican Republic, although Dominican Republic will have warmer temperatures.

Tenerife is a gamble, has a micro climate because of Mount Teide

for 1 week I would go to the Canaries, 2 weeks Dominican, IMO

Funny you should say that, I've now started looking at 14 nights in DR instead of 10....

On 06/06/2016 at 18:23, BRISTOL86 said:

Anyone been this time of year? Looking for a short haul break in Januay where we have a decent chance at some lounge by the pool weather and seems to pretty much be Canaries or nothing!

I spent a lot of time there as a kid but it was a little bit later, normally Feb/Mar if I recall correctly....

General consensus online seems to be generally warm enough for pool and beach (avg highs of 21ish) but risk of occasional less pleasant days and maybe a bit chilly in the evenings which is fine as you can use indoor bars and layer up. 

Anyone been in Jan in recent years that can comment on their experience?

Went to Tenerife this year,first week of January....was between 20°/23° all week..absolutely a tonic at that time of year.your lady may need a Cardie later in the evenings but that's about as bad as it gets!...enjoy.

On 06/06/2016 at 18:33, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am not sure what age you are or what your interests are, but look in to Madeira - not really for youngsters/teenagers, hence my comment re. your age.

A beautiful, scenic island with lovely walks and almost guaranteed good weather.

Wonderful food and drink as well.

I wouldn't 'do' Madeira an January-very risky with weather at that time compared to Canaries.was in Funchal this year first week of April and was in and out with the weather.was still OK and low 70s when the sun broke through,but that few miles north does make a difference a think Madeira as maybe Scotland in relation to canaries!..

I love Playa Blanca in Lanzarote and have visited most times of the year, but Jan to Mar can be a bit of a lottery. My neighbour regularly goes to Cape Verde for winter sun. Not much there apparently, but tends to be better than the Canaries, I think, at that time of the year.

Archived