IGNORED

Car advice

The Humble Realist

Took my 2001 Toyota Yaris to Beauly Garage , Bedminster.

Failed it's MOT, needs £290 worth of parts (wheel bearing hubs, brake pads, brake discs and one new tyre) and then with the labour to repair the price came to £540ish.

86,000 miles done...should I...

A) Get repaired and then continue driving

b) Get repaired and then sell

FYI we own 2 cars but are not likely to need the 2nd car for approx 6 months so i do have a car to fallback on (fortunately)....

Any advice appreciated!

On 6/11/2016 at 12:59, The Humble Realist said:

Took my 2001 Toyota Yaris to Beauly Garage , Bedminster.

Failed it's MOT, needs £290 worth of parts (wheel bearing hubs, brake pads, brake discs and one new tyre) and then with the labour to repair the price came to £540ish.

86,000 miles done...should I...

A) Get repaired and then continue driving

b) Get repaired and then sell

FYI we own 2 cars but are not likely to need the 2nd car for approx 6 months so i do have a car to fallback on (fortunately)....

Any advice appreciated!

You can buy your own parts cheap and then go somewhere to get them fitted. It's not difficult either. Plenty of places online, like carparts4less etc... that are able to supply parts at near trade prices. You might be able to sort a Halfords trade card and get those bits on the cheap.

Well, you wont see the money back if you do get it repaired. However, how much could you spend on a replacement? Could also be worth keeping it as you know the car, all the repairs you need to carry out are just comsumable parts that will always need to be replaced eventually. If the car is mechinicaly sound, it's worth considering keeping it.

2nd hand car market is a bit of a minefield as well if you do look to replace.

Question I'd ask in your situation is how much more would I get for the car with or without an MoT.? 

Obviously you'd get more with one but is the cost of getting its through the test greater than the difference? :dunno:

Either way I'd sell the car. Once they start costing money to keep them on the toad that's the time to get rid.

On 13 juin 2016 at 10:25, Robbored said:

Question I'd ask in your situation is how much more would I get for the car with or without an MoT.? 

Obviously you'd get more with one but is the cost of getting its through the test greater than the difference? :dunno:

Either way I'd sell the car. Once they start costing money to keep them on the toad that's the time to get rid.

Or ideally just before .

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 09:25, Robbored said:

I usually try and avoid them when I see one crossing - they`re endangered don`t you know. I certainly wouldn`t pay to drive over one.

On 6/11/2016 at 13:52, RedDave said:

Try to sell it now for £350-400 if say.  Give it a couple of weeks and if not sold have a re-think

What moron is going to pay that much for this hunk of junk.

You should be shamed of yourself: what if a little old lady bought it??

£150 scrap: get rid.

"Next".

Uncle TFR

Archived