IGNORED

Stadium use

27 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Live in Manchester and work  round the corner from the Etihad.  They have had 4 differant acts there the last 2 weeks, hope we can use the stadium in the same way. Good money if you can get it.

Would make perfect sense I agree. Sure I've seen on another thread  there are certain issues that may mean this isn't an option though, not sure wher or what they were though! 

Stayed at the Ricoh a couple of weeks ago to give Mrs Jacko a night out in a decent hotel and a flutter on the roulette as I've been working away yet again.  Booked a pitch view room just to see what it would be like.  There was an MTV thing on in the Arena with a load of names I've never heard of plus Basement Jaxx, who I've sort of heard mentioned somewhere. Jeesh..... it was so loud that the telly and doors were rattling in the room!  Couldn't make out anything they were saying on the Archers either.   All of the DJ's seemed to play the same 'tune' all night, too.  I know every bit of "DUFF, DUFF, BZZZZ, DOOOH, DOOOH" by heart now.

Gigs at Ashton Gate would be twiffic, but don't try and get your head down for a nap!  Could I be getting a bit old?

Let us not forget Bristol is currently building an arena c60% of the size of the O2 in London, 5,000 standing capacity larger than the arena in Cardiff and just a few thousand shorter than what was the NEC in Brum. That's some competition for our stadium.

Nonetheless I imagine we will pull two or three gigs a year; but in the main I think the Arena is going to attract many an act with it being new. Plus the sort of gigs the stadium will attract will probably be the same as the Ashton Gate of old attracted; Bon Jovi, Elton John etc. 

To be honest I don't like Stadium gigs anyway. Give me an indoor arena all day long. Muse at Coventry was incomparable to when I saw them at Cardiff arena. 

As others have said AG has been held concerts in the past. I saw The Who,Meatloaf, Elton John and Bon Jovi there so no reason why the stadium couldn't be used again.

Those that saw the concerts will know that they were held during the close season and pitch protected by raised boards. The logistics must have been immense and expensive I wonder just how much profit the club actually made. I chatted to Colin Sexstone during the preparation of the Elton John gig he he reckoned that the club did make a profit but didn't reveal just how much. 

42 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

They seem to think that the Massive Attack gig on the Downs will open the door for more events as the committee need a lot more money to maintain the area. That`s what the opponents of it are saying anyway.

And so it should. It's a fantastic open space that should be used for big concerts. A couple a year isn't going to harm any body.

42 minutes ago, Robbored said:

As others have said AG has been held concerts in the past. I saw The Who,Meatloaf, Elton John and Bon Jovi there so no reason why the stadium couldn't be used again.

Those that saw the concerts will know that they were held during the close season and pitch protected by raised boards. The logistics must have been immense and expensive I wonder just how much profit the club actually made. I chatted to Colin Sexstone during the preparation of the Elton John gig he he reckoned that the club did make a profit but didn't reveal just how much. 

I am vaguely remembering something about this. I think to even get the artists through the door we had to agree to pay for all the logistics and fees. I think on a few of them we struggled to make a profit.

22 minutes ago, Just Red said:

I am vaguely remembering something about this. I think to even get the artists through the door we had to agree to pay for all the logistics and fees. I think on a few of them we struggled to make a profit.

In the last few years venues have really got a lot more savvy. Even down to taking a cut of merch sold as opposed to charging for the 'pitch'. From what I've been told it's a different ball game from now even compared to comparatively recently when it was more a case of bar takings driving the venues' income. Now it's a share of booking fee, a hire fee, merch income and penalty clauses re capacity expectations. 

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not sure! But we've had Bryan Adams, Meat Loaf and Blue (who's idea was it to hire a band with THAT name?!)

Yes! Now I think about it, when I was working with Cardiff Bus, one of our managers who liked Neil Diamond went over to see the concert.

Archived