IGNORED

Kyle Walker

Fordy62

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

There's a thread about how shit Sterling was, so he least we can do is have a thread of praise for Kyle Walker. 

Alright, he didn't have any defending to do, but what a game. 

Take a bow. 

You beat me to it Fordy. He was class throughout the game. Up and down the right side and causing all sorts of problems for the Welsh defence. Deservedly MoM.

Rose on the side wasn't quit so influential but still pretty impressive.

• Admin

I just wish sometimes he would turn inside. I'm sure I can't be the only one to notice he always drops his shoulder to come inside before turning and going outside instead. As soon as we face a stronger left back that won't work.

1 hour ago, Cunnyfunt said:

Clynes final ball is the worst part of his game.

I've always thought he was a decent crosser. I don't think it's eithers strength though. I'll concede to you however as I only see a few games per year of clyne but as I said from what I've seen he's the better crosser of the two though Walker did seem to get better at is as it went on. 

7 minutes ago, Ian M said:

I just wish sometimes he would turn inside. I'm sure I can't be the only one to notice he always drops his shoulder to come inside before turning and going outside instead. As soon as we face a stronger left back that won't work.

He's the premier league version of mark little. That's what I thought to myself earlier while watching. 

18 minutes ago, Ian M said:

He's so right footed it's unreal. By far England's best player today though.

Thought he didn't have a great first half but was magnificent against Russia and a very good second half

What I liked about today was despite it not going right first half he kept going, kept thrusting forward and never hid at any point

Simply, our most potent attacking threat in both games IMHO

Great game, constant threat and really pushed the Welshies back. My MoM easily. I though Smalling,Dier, Lallana and Rooney also did well. Sturridge probably did enough to get a start, I'd keep Vardy back as an impact sub for now and Butland is a banker No.1 by the next tournament comes around. 

The points are in , BBC sport . 

I genuinely think that Sterling's is minus 4 !!

Joe Hart (goalkeeper) - 4

Shocking attempt to keep out Gareth Bale's free-kick. Poor.

Kyle Walker (right-back) - 7

Excellent attacking option. He has made the right-back spot his own and played his part as the pressure grew.

Gary Cahill (centre-back) - 6

Almost scored a first-half goal and was comfortable when defensive work needed to be done.

Chris Smalling (centre-back) - 6

Had very few uncomfortable moments as Wales failed to gather any real attacking momentum.

Danny Rose (left-back) - 6

Some shaky moments but again was an attacking force after the break as England pressed.

Eric Dier (midfielder) - 7

Very solid presence in midfield. Looks right at home in the defensive holding role. Can improve his passing, though.

Dele Alli (midfielder) - 6

Determined but with little real impact. However, still a class act in the making. Must keep out of trouble.

Adam Lallana (midfielder) - 7

Creative, one of England's better players in that dreadful first half and warmly applauded by the fans when he was substituted.

Wayne Rooney (midfielder) - 8 - man of the match

England's best and most composed player again. Very consistent in the first two games of Euro 2016. Huge influence on the team.

Harry Kane (striker) - 4

Looks tired and off the pace after a long season. Place now surely at risk against Slovakia.

Raheem Sterling (striker) - 4

Can't disagree with those scores too much....might swap Walker and Rooney's around.

Re Walker, Roy needs to coach the players to get out if his since and create either 1 on 1s or where they double up, create the free man elsewhere.  Frustrated that Walker was often having his space filled...not his fault.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Dropping Rooney back into midfield seems to have largely worked too, I did have my doubts it would.

Has to be said he does look very comfortable there and still managed to be a threat on goal.

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

What is wrong with Kane though? Seems totally out of sorts at the moment. Do we stick with him and hope he eventually comes good or give him a rest?

Don't think either Vardy or Sturridge can play as the main striker with the way England play. Bit of a dilemma for Roy.

I think Vardy and Sturridge have to start against Slovakia.  Kane looks like he needs a rest and I think that to drop either of them and bring Kane in after their performance today would be a real kick in the teeth and suggest players were being picked on reputation and not form. 

2 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

What is wrong with Kane though? Seems totally out of sorts at the moment. Do we stick with him and hope he eventually comes good or give him a rest?

Don't think either Vardy or Sturridge can play as the main striker with the way England play. Bit of a dilemma for Roy.

He's getting superstar syndrome IMO. Trying to do too much and it's getting him out of position for what he does best which is score from 20 yards and in. He's dropping deep and coming out to the wings too often for me. 

Archived