IGNORED

Fair play to city from a Swindon fan

Shaun Taylor

13 hours ago, Red Tel said:

Whilst I would agree with the two reasons given by TRL, there are a few others things that affect the gates at both City and Rovers, 'Shaun Taylor'. The vibrant city that is Bristol has so many other wonderful attractions vying for attendances on a Saturday afternoon. The fact that top class Rugby Union is also very prominent in the area,  takes spectators away ( to Bath and Gloucester, and next season to Bristol Rugby).       As for attendances at evening games, three of the guys that sit near me in the Dolman on a Saturday live in Bridgewater, so can't make evening games. I know City have a terrific following from deepest Somerset, so I'm fairly sure there are lots of others in the same boat. Some say that there are lots of other towns and cities, both larger and smaller than Bristol, that have higher attendances than those at AG, but who, in all honesty, wants to live in them, when you could live in or near Bristol?! COYR

Bridgwater?! That's only about 45 minutes to Ashton Gate! Maybe they have other reasons, but there would be plenty more missing for night games if anyone more than 45 minutes away didn't show up.

34 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Bridgwater?! That's only about 45 minutes to Ashton Gate! Maybe they have other reasons, but there would be plenty more missing for night games if anyone more than 45 minutes away didn't show up.

Not driving no but I suppose if you depend on public transport you are pretty much screwed I think. Don`t you have to leave 15 minutes from the end to catch the last train south from BTM? I find night matches a bit more difficult I must admit but I`m self employed so I can normally arrange to be working in Taunton or somewhere rather than Liskeard or Looe on midweek matchdays but appreciate that`s not an option for everyone. The only real pain then is not getting home till 1am and having to be up at 5 in the morning!

Add City and Rovers average crowds from last season and you've got more than 23000 Bristolians watching football on a regular basis, which is more than so called big teams like Leeds, Wolves and Boro, I've never gone along with the idea that Bristol is not a footballing city, considering the absolute dross that both clubs have had to put up with over the years I think the crowds are superb.

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Used to take me an hour and a half to make it to any game when I was in Thornbury.Though I was reliant on public transport and then walking

1 hour ago, harrys said:

Add City and Rovers average crowds from last season and you've got more than 23000 Bristolians watching football on a regular basis, which is more than so called big teams like Leeds, Wolves and Boro, I've never gone along with the idea that Bristol is not a footballing city, considering the absolute dross that both clubs have had to put up with over the years I think the crowds are superb.

Exactly. it frustrates me when people perpetuate the myth that Bristol isn't a sport city, when both football clubs, and the rugby and cricket teams have attendances that others in their position would envy.

And that's not even allowing for the thousands locked out at our place every week.

6 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Bridgwater?! That's only about 45 minutes to Ashton Gate!

Plus the 30 minute walk from Ashton Gate to the parking space you managed to find.

Really could do with stadium parking, ten minute walk to a new car park at Ashton Vale?

9 minutes ago, The dastardly red said:

You clearly did miss that point.

or in other words, stop back tracking and lose the attitude while you're at it.

got it? Good

except I didn't miss the point.

or are you telling me that you know my thoughts better than I do?

5 minutes ago, The dastardly red said:

Looks like it. Unless of course you're lying about missing the point. One or the other, you tell me.

Well I didn't miss the point, hence seperating the 2 sentences in the post. They were seperate to show the distinction, if I had been missing the point the latter would have been directly following on from the first. Obviously the distinction was a bit too subtle for you and Robbored.

Edit to add- for clarity, the point about most students age and season tickets, was that assuming they become a student straight after college/sixth form, the cheap price could grab the attention of late end students who had been pulled in from attending the odd game beforehand, not suggesting that a student would move to a new city and she'll out for a season ticket straight away.

3 minutes ago, City169 said:

Well I didn't miss the point, hence seperating the 2 sentences in the post. They were seperate to show the distinction, if I had been missing the point the latter would have been directly following on from the first. Obviously the distinction was a bit too subtle for you and Robbored.

Ok, you're obviously hell bent on covering up your mistake. I'll leave it at that, I'm not that bothered to be honest. Just would've been nice if you'd admitted that you missed the point and showed a little humility,that's all I was saying. No hard feelings mate.

2 minutes ago, The dastardly red said:

Ok, you're obviously hell bent on covering up your mistake. I'll leave it at that, I'm not that bothered to be honest. Just would've been nice if you'd admitted that you missed the point and showed a little humility,that's all I was saying. No hard feelings mate.

I haven't made up anything, I'm always happy to admit making a mistake, but it is you mistaken here, perhaps YOU show show some humility and admit that. 

I have now clarified what I meant before, and not done any backtracking whatsoever, and frankly don't appreciate you questioning my integrity, or those accusations.

7 minutes ago, City169 said:

I haven't made up anything, I'm always happy to admit making a mistake, but it is you mistaken here, perhaps YOU show show some humility and admit that. 

I have now clarified what I meant before, and not done any backtracking whatsoever, and frankly don't appreciate you questioning my integrity, or those accusations.

Like I said let's just leave it at that, I've got my opinion and you've got yours, only one of us is right and we both know who that is. I'm happy with that and my stance on this one. Anyway it's only a small issue, I wasn't questioning your whole integrity so sorry for any offence caused. I'll give you a wide berth next time I see you telling porkies.

2 minutes ago, The dastardly red said:

Like I said let's just leave it at that, I've got my opinion and you've got yours, only one of us is right and we both know who that is. I'm happy with that and my stance on this one. Anyway it's only a small issue, I wasn't questioning your whole integrity so sorry for any offence caused. I'll give you a wide berth next time I see you telling porkies.

You won't accept that you have got this wrong will you?

I'm not telling "porkies" by any stretch, that's not something I do, I'm an honest person. As I said before, I am always happy to admit a mistake- it's seems trying to defend myself from this character assassination you're attempting is one of them.

11 minutes ago, City169 said:

You won't accept that you have got this wrong will you?

I'm not telling "porkies" by any stretch, that's not something I do, I'm an honest person. As I said before, I am always happy to admit a mistake- it's seems trying to defend myself from this character assassination you're attempting is one of them.

Ok, sorry perhaps I went a bit ott there. Looking back I can see your point and genuinely believe you. Been a long day and I got a bit carried away rather than checking properly. Sorry mate.

6 minutes ago, The dastardly red said:

Ok, sorry perhaps I went a bit ott there. Looking back I can see your point and genuinely believe you. Been a long day and I got a bit carried away rather than checking properly. Sorry mate.

No worries, done similar myself before.

Archived