IGNORED

Fair play to city from a Swindon fan

Shaun Taylor

Like we all browse other teams forums I'm honest to say that I enjoy your intellect & banter most days and have to say that the otib is the best I've come across even when my team are taking some friendly stick.

im not on here to wind anybody up as I keep a keen interest on how you're doing and just wish we had a chairman like yours who spends his money and has delivered a superb redeveloped ground and I'm intrigued as to why most city fans are only expecting your average crowds to be around 18,000 with your catchment area so large 

29 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Like we all browse other teams forums I'm honest to say that I enjoy your intellect & banter most days and have to say that the otib is the best I've come across even when my team are taking some friendly stick.

im not on here to wind anybody up as I keep a keen interest on how you're doing and just wish we had a chairman like yours who spends his money and has delivered a superb redeveloped ground and I'm intrigued as to why most city fans are only expecting your average crowds to be around 18,000 with your catchment area so large 

18000 average I can imagine for 1 season with the novelty of the refurbished stadium, we'll only keep those gates if we do well in the league.

The low attendance compared to catchment area are down to two reasons that I can think of. We have the 2nd largest non league football scene outside of London meaning a lot of big football fans are playing on a Saturday. Secondly the Bristol public are generally apathetic to most things... And I say that as a Bristolian.  In my mind this adds up to attendances that are not bad but could be a whole lot better.

Welcome to otib.

Inbreds and roundabouts! ;)

In my opinion it's just year after year of underachieving that's the overriding factor. If I remember correctly the 4 years we spent in the top flight all those years ago saw City's average attendance being around the 6th highest in the old first division, could be wrong on that, if so some smart Otiber will put me straight. Good luck for the new season.

Many thanks and I can only confirm the roundabouts!!

i guess you have a huge student population who wouldn't have much interest in supporting city on a regular basis and like most things football has become an expensive pastime to watch these days especially as there is no cheaper standing option like there was thirty years ago

42 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Should be an interesting season for you guys next season; especially with the 15ers and Oxford joining you in League 1.

9 minutes ago, Red Rag said:

In my opinion it's just year after year of underachieving that's the overriding factor. If I remember correctly the 4 years we spent in the top flight all those years ago saw City's average attendance being around the 6th highest in the old first division, could be wrong on that, if so some smart Otiber will put me straight. Good luck for the new season.

I'm afraid you are wrong on that, we averaged about 21-22K when I watched them in the top flight. It would go down to 17K for the less interesting games but we'd get 37K capacity against the likes of Man U and Liverpool. However I wouldn't be surprised if we average over 20K next season if we're in the top half, the new stadium makes the whole matchday experience a lot more attractive and people will be able to 'pay on the day' in general which hasn't been the case for the last couple of seasons.

14 minutes ago, Red Rag said:

According to a site I just looked at, in the 76/77 season (div 1) we had the 17th highest average in the country: 23,000

21 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Yes shoud be very interesting although I've always preferred the Bristol derbies compared to playing Oxford 

good luck to city as you could be the surprise package next season with all eyes on Villa, Newcastle and Derby 

Anyone who doesn`t have to ask who the 15rs are is welcome on here anytime!

1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

That's because the forum administrators make all potential posters take an entrance examination to judge intelligence before joining.

OTIB comprises all the ones who failed the exam! 

57 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

i guess you have a huge student population who wouldn't have much interest in supporting city on a regular basis and like most things football has become an expensive pastime to watch these days especially as there is no cheaper standing option like there was thirty years ago

They would if the club do things to attract them.....The main thing of course being ticket prices...but there are other things, many other clubs get the students in ........... There are a lot of fellow reds who became city fans because they had nothing to do one Saturday so popped down the gate so got to be worth it

40 minutes ago, TRL said:

18000 average I can imagine for 1 season with the novelty of the refurbished stadium, we'll only keep those gates if we do well in the league.

The low attendance compared to catchment area are down to two reasons that I can think of. We have the 2nd largest non league football scene outside of London meaning a lot of big football fans are playing on a Saturday. Secondly the Bristol public are generally apathetic to most things... And I say that as a Bristolian.  In my mind this adds up to attendances that are not bad but could be a whole lot better.

Welcome to otib.

Whilst I would agree with the two reasons given by TRL, there are a few others things that affect the gates at both City and Rovers, 'Shaun Taylor'. The vibrant city that is Bristol has so many other wonderful attractions vying for attendances on a Saturday afternoon. The fact that top class Rugby Union is also very prominent in the area,  takes spectators away ( to Bath and Gloucester, and next season to Bristol Rugby).       As for attendances at evening games, three of the guys that sit near me in the Dolman on a Saturday live in Bridgewater, so can't make evening games. I know City have a terrific following from deepest Somerset, so I'm fairly sure there are lots of others in the same boat. Some say that there are lots of other towns and cities, both larger and smaller than Bristol, that have higher attendances than those at AG, but who, in all honesty, wants to live in them, when you could live in or near Bristol?! COYR

Many thanks and I can only confirm the roundabouts!!

I not 100% certain but I think City have student concessions, similar to juvenile and OAP.

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I not 100% certain but I think City have student concessions, similar to juvenile and OAP.

Don't think we do, or I woul have been trying to use them last year.

our season tickets for anyone under 22 (so most students age) are fantastically priced though

8 minutes ago, Red Tel said:

Whilst I would agree with the two reasons given by TRL, there are a few others things that affect the gates at both City and Rovers, 'Shaun Taylor'. The vibrant city that is Bristol has so many other wonderful attractions vying for attendances on a Saturday afternoon. The fact that top class Rugby Union is also very prominent in the area,  takes spectators away ( to Bath and Gloucester, and next season to Bristol Rugby).       As for attendances at evening games, three of the guys that sit near me in the Dolman on a Saturday live in Bridgewater, so can't make evening games. I know City have a terrific following from deepest Somerset, so I'm fairly sure there are lots of others in the same boat. Some say that there are lots of other towns and cities, both larger and smaller than Bristol, that have higher attendances than those at AG, but who, in all honesty, wants to live in them, when you could live in or near Bristol?! COYR

I live south of Bridgwater so I cant see that they live in Bridgwater being the issue.

They probably just work late or cant be arsed :-). I bet they would make it for Villa or Newcastle next season if thats on a tuesday night.

13 minutes ago, City169 said:

Don't think we do, or I woul have been trying to use them last year.

our season tickets for anyone under 22 (so most students age) are fantastically priced though

My point is that students wouldn't be expected to pay full PoTY prices like yer run of mill punter...

2 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Don't be like that; rival wind ups are part of what football is about. I'm STILL texting every Welsh person I know. Try it, you'll like it :chant6ez:

One of my favourite posters is @Robbored and he's intent on winding up his own!!! 

1 hour ago, TRL said:

Welcome to otib.

And most people in Bristol are Gas ;)

2 hours ago, Red Rag said:

We were 16th and averaged 22,767 up until April 30th with Man u, Leeds (re-arranged) and Liverpool still to come.

our top att's until then were ......Leeds 31,400 (abandoned fog)..Tottenham 28,101...Villa 27,958...Man City 27,601 and Arsenal 26,282

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

And most people in Bristol are Gas ;)

Putting aside rivalry for the moment, there are also, I regret to say, two teams in Bristol, which cannot help.

The City should certainly be big enough anyway to support that anyway so the other factors come in to play of course, but there must be a little north of 20k fans turning up to watch lower league football in the City regularly. 

Swindon's crowds are baffling at times as the population is close to 220,000 nearly half of Bristols but only one team as supermarine don't really attract many. I think one of our problems is all the new houses built and being built on the outskirts attract new families from outside Wiltshire who aren't interested in adopting a club but if we ever get a new ground the potential is there just like Reading have proved 

We have the highest level of graduates who go on to settle in the area (outside of London) and have large Somalian and West Indian populations so thorough bred Bristolians are actually a minority.  

We have had a long history of undistinguishment.  Our glory years consist of four years in the lower half of the top flight in the late 70's and an equally short spell before any of us were born.  In comparison to a similar city like Nottingham and our footballing heritage is desperately poor.

Combine the two above points and I suspect there are comparatively few Bristol based City supporters from families where the club has been passed down from multiple generations such as you see in a city like Liverpool.  

An estimated hardcore of 6000 Bristolians are wasted on watching the gas.  Single club cities such as Leicester and Derby are bviously advantaged in that respect.

I've always had a theory that the great population belt spreads from the South East, through the East and West Midlands and up to the North West.  This is where all the most successful and best supported clubs are from.  We are outside  of this urban belt; we are not a footballing hot bed.  The North East is an exception to this as it seems to have football inherent in its culture.

Archived