IGNORED

0-0 draws - pointless

Red Skin

3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Surely the biggest flaw with this idea is that you would get the same number of points for drawing 0-0 as you would for losing 0-5. Which is just barmy.

I'd rather watch a 5-0 game than a 0-0 game.  And we'll be the ones winning 5-0. :clapping::clapping::clapping:

3 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Wouldn't it be far far better to just leave the game as it is.

What would we spend the long summer talking about?  I suppose I should be careful.  One slow summer somebody came up with a hair brained suggestion about leaving Europe and see where that got us? :shifty::shifty::shifty:

15 hours ago, Red Army Faction said:

Apologiies if this has been done before, but a thought occurred to watching the Euros.

Every game starts nil-nil and both teams effectively start with a point and each team has the choice whether to try to hold onto it or go for three.  Why?

How about changing the rules so that a 0-0 draws means neither side gets a point if the game ends that way.  This means teams have to do something positive to get any points.  Only score draws mean you get a point. The longer a game stays at 0-0 the more attacking the play would become as both side look to get something rather than the more defensive the game becomes under the current rules.

Sure, teams could get to 1-1 and then park the bus, but at least they would have earned their point.

There could be something in this. I think the problem for the current tournament is the number of 3rd place teams able to go through. If they can snatch one win, for the other two games they don't even need to consider scoring, just pack the defence don't concede too many.

I hope it opens up in the knockout stages, I haven't been impressed so far.

0-0 draws are not always because of unwillingness to try and score goals I have seen some really good 0-0 draws, often only because the goalkeeper(s) have excelled. It seems a bit rough to undermine their efforts by removing the benefit of them winning their side a point.

Archived