IGNORED

0-0 draws - pointless

Red Skin

Apologiies if this has been done before, but a thought occurred to watching the Euros.

Every game starts nil-nil and both teams effectively start with a point and each team has the choice whether to try to hold onto it or go for three.  Why?

How about changing the rules so that a 0-0 draws means neither side gets a point if the game ends that way.  This means teams have to do something positive to get any points.  Only score draws mean you get a point. The longer a game stays at 0-0 the more attacking the play would become as both side look to get something rather than the more defensive the game becomes under the current rules.

Sure, teams could get to 1-1 and then park the bus, but at least they would have earned their point.

36 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

Apologiies if this has been done before, but a thought occurred to watching the Euros.

Every game starts nil-nil and both teams effectively start with a point and each team has the choice whether to try to hold onto it or go for three.  Why?

How about changing the rules so that a 0-0 draws means neither side gets a point if the game ends that way.  This means teams have to do something positive to get any points.  Only score draws mean you get a point. The longer a game stays at 0-0 the more attacking the play would become as both side look to get something rather than the more defensive the game becomes under the current rules.

Sure, teams could get to 1-1 and then park the bus, but at least they would have earned their point.

That is what 3 points for a win was supposed to do. 

Better off giving bonus points for scoring x number of goals more than the opposition to encourage scoring imo

17 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Wouldn't it just further widen the gap between the haves and have nots? Weak teams will be forced to go all out to get anything from the game and will get thrashed consistently!

Maybe, or challenge them to find a way to win.  We are post-Leicester now.

"How about changing the rules so that a 0-0 draws means neither side gets a point if the game ends that way".

Logically ten, the next step sees a point deduction for a defeat. I've checked that with last season's table.

Bolton's 30 points would become 4, Mk 39 = 14, Charlton 40 = 16, Rotherham 49 = 26, Fulham 51 = 32, Huddersfield 51 = 30, City & Reading 52 = 32.

Huddersfield would have finished one place lower.

I`ve often wondered what would be the effect of the season being calculated `on aggregate` i.e. based on both games v another team. for instance, if you win the first match 1-0 and then lose 2-0 in the return one you `lose` the tie and get no points and the opposition get six. It would make teams in the second half of the season go for it if they knew by winning say 3-0 they would win the tie even if they`d lost the first match 2-0. The counter argument of course is that if you won the first match 1-0, the temptation would be to park the bus in the second one.  

5 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`ve often wondered what would be the effect of the season being calculated `on aggregate` i.e. based on both games v another team. for instance, if you win the first match 1-0 and then lose 2-0 in the return one you `lose` the tie and get no points and the opposition get six. It would make teams in the second half of the season go for it if they knew by winning say 3-0 they would win the tie even if they`d lost the first match 2-0. The counter argument of course is that if you won the first match 1-0, the temptation would be to park the bus in the second one.  

Like it.  Would still have chance to win the tie though.  

48 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Are you American @Red Army Faction?

6 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

13 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Why would that matter? 

Why such an emphatic no? 

Are you American?

57 minutes ago, TRL said:

That is what 3 points for a win was supposed to do. 

Better off giving bonus points for scoring x number of goals more than the opposition to encourage scoring imo

How about 4 points for an away win, or a bonus point based over home & away games or even a bonus point if you score 4 goals or more 

1 hour ago, Red Army Faction said:

20\20 football.....not for me,I'm a purist!

1 hour ago, Red Army Faction said:

Wouldn't it be far far better to just leave the game as it is.

39 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

Are you American?

Yes

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It was just a little joke - thinking a goalless draw needs to be avoided struck me as quite an American sort of attitude to sport!

Just giving you guys are hard time. Joke away boys. It is true we don't like draws. Why the nfl changed overtime rules a few years ago but you can still draw in that. There was a draw in a baseball all star game about 10 years ago and it was so hotly contested that they changed rules just for that game every year. Plus I think nhl cannot have draws anymore either but not completely sure. Can't say you don't have a point about that though. I'd take a draw for our football team tonight though(Argentina in Copa America SF so would mean pens). 

46 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

?

No need to worry about losing points for 0-0 draws. Newcastle and Villa home and away = 12 points :thumbsup:

44 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I'm guessing he means we'll sit back and try and poach something but the likely outcome is we'll scramble as soon as the heat's turned up!

Quite.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

I believe Speedway tried something similar a few years back. Normal points for wins & draws, but the aggregate winner received an extra point. That would sure make the last day of the season more exciting. "It's no use us getting a win as our nearest rivals might get four points from their last game".

Archived