IGNORED

England's worst ever manager

AshtonGreat

100% Woy. 

McClaren - well we embarassingly didnt qualify for euro 2008 but at least Croatia and Russia who beat us were not bad sides shall I say. He was shocking.

Graham Taylor - As bad as McClaren.

As for Woy though he takes that crown. 2014 was a shambles and somehow ut was worse this time. From not knowing his best side to accomodating Wayne Rooney. Where do you begin? He had no character whatsoever and played very negative slow football. Dont think we have had s manager quite like him.

5 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

100% Woy. 

McClaren - well we embarassingly didnt qualify for euro 2008 but at least Croatia and Russia who beat us were not bad sides shall I say. He was shocking.

Graham Taylor - As bad as McClaren.

As for Woy though he takes that crown. 2014 was a shambles and somehow ut was worse this time. From not knowing his best side to accomodating Wayne Rooney. Where do you begin? He had no character whatsoever and played very negative slow football. Dont think we have had s manager quite like him.

You have to question why on earth he wasn't sacked after the last world cup when we again stunk the place out.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

You have to question why on earth he wasn't sacked after the last world cup when we again stunk the place out.

People also forget we were shocking in world cup qualifying. We drew with Montenegro and Woy came out and said great point. Said a lot really. 

Euro 2012  may I add we had a 33 year old Pirlo just allowed to stroll through our midfield.

At least Taylor had a top division full of English players to choose from at the time...

Even though that was I believe the worst performance by an England team in my lifetime (which predates 1966) Hodgson, even though he made terrible mistakes during the tournament, has brought on a team of young players (the youngest squad in the tournament) who still have a future.  Taylor cobbled together a team of journeymen (with a few decent exceptions) and simply wasn't up to the job; McLaren however failed to deliver with players from 'the Golden Generation'. Overall then I'd say McLaren, followed by Taylor, but worst performance as a manager at a single tournament?  I'm afraid that now belongs to Hodgson.

Incidentally, for the same reasons I still rank Danny Wilson as possibly our worst manager, for his failure to deliver with such a wealth of resources available to him.

Clearly that result last night was a disgrace, but the key problem is too many crap foreigners clogging up our top league. Hodgson has no charisma but at least it was young players he picked representing us, not gerrard lampard terry et al who would never win us anything.

The fact it was iceland is galling but wd were never going to win it anyway, and it just saved us getting humbled 5 nil by someone half decent.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

At least Taylor had a top division full of English players to choose from at the time...

Even though that was I believe the worst performance by an England team in my lifetime (which predates 1966) Hodgson, even though he made terrible mistakes during the tournament, has brought on a team of young players (the youngest squad in the tournament) who still have a future.  Taylor cobbled together a team of journeymen (with a few decent exceptions) and simply wasn't up to the job; McLaren however failed to deliver with players from 'the Golden Generation'. Overall then I'd say McLaren, followed by Taylor, but worst performance as a manager at a single tournament?  I'm afraid that now belongs to Hodgson.

Incidentally, for the same reasons I still rank Danny Wilson as possibly our worst manager, for his failure to deliver with such a wealth of resources available to him.

I agree with all of that. Although I think it's generous to give Hodgson credit for bringing young players through. It was the only option open to him, as all the older players retired.

No, Roy isn't the worst ever, you can't give that to a man who led England to a 100% qualifying record (despite the deficiencies of the teams we played) and also ensured we qualified for the 2014 World Cup.

His tournament management is shocking, but he is still not the worst ever.

Graham Taylor is the worst.

Steve McLaren is number 2.

41 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Clearly that result last night was a disgrace, but the key problem is too many crap foreigners clogging up our top league. Hodgson has no charisma but at least it was young players he picked representing us, not gerrard lampard terry et al who would never win us anything.

The fact it was iceland is galling but wd were never going to win it anyway, and it just saved us getting humbled 5 nil by someone half decent.

I do recall a time when for example, English goalkeepers were the best in the world. Yes, the likes of Yashin were there to rival Banks but they were the exception rather than the rule. Shilton, Clemence et al followed on and they fought off a lot of competition from fine English goalkeepers in the top English league teams. Today we probably see in the England squad the only three English keepers playing regularly in the Premier League. It's not good enough. We are improving players from other nationalities at the expense of our national team. I blame Sky, the Premier League, agents, player greed and us supporters - for allowing it to happen. It's time to fight back.

German football underwent a root and branch overhaul of its national setup following a poor performance in the 2000 Euros when they were knocked out in the group stage. We need to do likewise one, not just appoint Gareth ******g Southgate and repeat the same cycle.

The next one.

The pool of top division talent to pick from has massively shrunk since Graham Taylor's time.  Then he could pick an England striker out of the twenty or thirty that were playing every week in the top division.  Now Sky money means the best players in the world come here and the English players don't get much of a look in.

That was a poor and threadbare squad.  But short of doing something radical like picking every fit English player in the Leicester team and then filling the gaps, basically playing Leicester in the tournament, there wasn't much other option.

6 minutes ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

Does worst ever result = worst ever manager?

In that case, Roy Hodgson.

.......... the arrogance of not apologising properly for the performance confirms his place in history if shit-ness.

Uncle TFR

Of course he wouldnt apologise he was too arrogant to listen to the fans wishes on team selection and when it didnt work he bottled it. Worst ever England Manager I am afraid. And his subs vs Wales were desperation not tactical nous.

4 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Of course he wouldnt apologise he was too arrogant to listen to the fans wishes on team selection and when it didnt work he bottled it. Worst ever England Manager I am afraid. And his subs vs Wales were desperation not tactical nous.

Why don't you just agree and like my post?

He's a knob - and we all agree.

:hug:

Uncle TFR

3 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

100% Woy. 

Based on what?

In terms of win % he's got a better record than Bobby Robson, Kevin Keegan, Steve McClaren, Terry Venables & Graham Taylor - now I don't particularly think he's been brill for us but you say he's 100% the worst England manager ever - so what does that make the rest of the list?

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Based on what?

In terms of win % he's got a better record than Bobby Robson, Kevin Keegan, Steve McClaren, Terry Venables & Graham Taylor - now I don't particularly think he's been brill for us but you say he's 100% the worst England manager ever - so what does that make the rest of the list?

Does that matter? Surely it's all down to how well you do in major tournaments.

55 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

And bear in mind he's been paid over 9 grand a DAY for that garbage!

Best job in the world by a mile. 

Don't forget Don Revie, who was crooked as well as being useless.  

Never could stand Taylor's whining voice, plus he substituted Lineker and bought on Alan Smith in that vital Euro game in Swdden, possibly the most ridiculous decision in English football history.

Keegan was a useless manager but IMO is forgiven because as a player along with Brooking he carried the England through dismal times.

My vote goes to Sven, an overpaid clown, who ruined a team of talented players who should have done much better.

Archived