IGNORED

u21s boss (merged)

devoncider

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

Friend of LJ? They played together didn't they. 

Wonder if he still plays...!

He played his last league game only 2 months ago.

At least he wouldn't have far to go home to collect his boots..

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He played his last league game only 2 months ago.

At least he wouldn't have far to go home to collect his boots..

Of course he did, remember seeing him on tv :facepalm:

5 minutes ago, Sargent Pepper said:

I like Jamie Mac but getting rid of Wade to bring in JM is pretty poor. I realise we were probably hoping for Tommy Wright but I think Elliott has been shat on here

I agree in that none of us know what JM can do that Wade couldn't do but it happens. Managers want their own men. I don't think it's anything personal against Wade.

16 minutes ago, Libertine1 said:

I agree in that none of us know what JM can do that Wade couldn't do but it happens. Managers want their own men. I don't think it's anything personal against Wade.

The Sales Pitch when Lee Johnson was brought it said that he was brought in to work with the existing setup, they didn't want a manager who would rip apart and rebuild the coaching setup

Which was why we went for the cheap option instead of the established Championship alternatives such as Pearson.

Now however......not that I'm accusing Mark Ashton of being a gloried car sales me with his Business DNA BS

18 minutes ago, Bowie said:

The Sales Pitch when Lee Johnson was brought it said that he was brought in to work with the existing setup, they didn't want a manager who would rip apart and rebuild the coaching setup

Which was why we went for the cheap option instead of the established Championship alternatives such as Pearson.

Now however......not that I'm accusing Mark Ashton of being a gloried car sales me with his Business DNA BS

So 1 change is ripping apart the set up?

Elliott himself had said he wasn't sure if coaching was for him, for all we know he decided it wasn't for him and had a word with the relevant people.

No idea whether this will work or not but U21's is pretty important bearing in mind the club wants to develop young players so I would have ideally liked someone with a track record of handling players of that age. Having said that if he is in tune with the first team boss then that should help and lets be fair who wouldn't want to see him do well ?

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

No idea whether this will work or not but U21's is pretty important bearing in mind the club wants to develop young players so I would have ideally liked someone with a track record of handling players of that age. Having said that if he is in tune with the first team boss then that should help and lets be fair who wouldn't want to see him do well ?

Some posters on here who come out of the woodwork every time they think the club needs slagging off for no good reason. It`s usually in conjunction with calling LJ the `cheap option`.

6 hours ago, City169 said:

So 1 change is ripping apart the set up?

Elliott himself had said he wasn't sure if coaching was for him, for all we know he decided it wasn't for him and had a word with the relevant people.

Days before Elliotts departure was announced the club were running a story and video where he was saying how much he was enjoying the role and looking forward to next season. Its clear that LJ or the board had other ideas. I'm disappointed with this appointment not because I dislike Mcallister, he was a great player for us but we needed someone with a wealth of previous experience. Wasn't he playing at Exeter city last season? I don't like to sit on here and keyboard bash but come on Ashton surely we could have done better on this one!? 

1 hour ago, cynic said:

He's been with the academy for some time coaching the u-16s with the relevant coaching accreditations.

If you have a listen to what LJ has to say about it, it is clear what he thought Wade Elliott lacked in the role and what JM can bring to the table.

I liked Wade as a player and as a person - very nice bloke, but maybe the role came a bit soon for him as he was fast tracked into the u-21s role by Cotterill with virtually no experience.

Under 16's to under 21's is a big leap. I don't doubt that he has coaching experience or necessary qualifications required or that he has a good relationship with LJ but the under 21's is in effect a filter for players to break into the first team and I'm  not aware that JM has experience at this level. Tommy Wright would have been a fantastic option but I guess the club just weren't willing to pay for this level of coach. Cotterill no doubt saw potential in wade but maybe should have offered him another years playing contract instead!? 

I've always had a lot of time for Jamie Mac, rated him as a player and you could clearly tell he cared about City, and gave everything he had in each match.

Wish him all the best for his new role here.

Advanced development for our younger players is crucial for us now, with such a low number of players in the 1st team squad.

There really is a chance to push for a spot in the main team.

Bit harsh that!

Jamie never had all the skills in the world but he was a very steady championship left back that always gave 100% for city.

Why don't all the fans get behind new players and management, surely this will benefit Bristol City not the other way round....................sheeeesh!

• The title was changed to u21s boss (merged)
19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Just watched his Player interview with Adam Baker. Nowhere near as articulate as Wade Elliot.

I just hop he's a better coach than he was a player......

Great. Thanks for that. How articulate he is and how good a player you deemed him to be are irrelevant in measure of his coaching abilities. You're long enough in the tooth to know that though.

Not really sure why you started a whole new thread on it either.

I thought McAllister was a good solid player for us. Met him a few times, he's a good man. I think he'll make a very good coach.

On 01/07/2016 at 15:18, frenchred said:

Jobs for the boys!

Agreed.

Once again Lansdown, when was the last time you employed someone at BCFC who you did not know previously?

If he ran a business like this, the board would start asking a lot of questions.

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not really sure why you started a whole new thread on it either.

I thought McAllister was a good solid player for us. Met him a few times, he's a good man. I think he'll make a very good coach.

I didn't see the original u21 thread - hence me starting another......

As for Jamie Mac, I've met him several times as well and he's a perfectly decent bloke. My issue was his ability as a footballer........solid is one way to describe him and so is very average and predictable. 

He doesn't come close to likes of Mickey Bell, Martin Scott, Darren Barnard.....

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 17:11, Bowie said:

The next person who says that LJ was a ' cheap option ' is going straight to bed with no tea .

Does anyone really believe that when BCFC came knocking on Barnsley's front door they said " Oh yes ,of course you can have our manager , who has got us to Wembley and on target for a play off place,  for absolutely nothing ;Take him with our blessing ".

The 'cheap ' option ' would have been an out of work manager,  and there were plenty of those at the time,  not an up and coming young coach who would have commanded a significant compensation fee for his services .

The model we're working to  is the continental one and makes a lot of sense. The time has gone when a ' manager ' guts a club when he leaves,  taking the staff and the tealady with him .

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I didn't see the original u21 thread - hence me starting another......

As for Jamie Mac, I've met him several times as well and he's a perfectly decent bloke. My issue was his ability as a footballer........solid is one way to describe him and so is very average and predictable. 

He doesn't come close to likes of Mickey Bell, Martin Scott, Darren Barnard.....

But what's that got to do with him as a coach? He was a key part of our playoff final and promotion sides. Left back isn't the most glamorous position, and he wasn't that most glamorous player, but he was tough as nails and did a good job for many years in two of our most successful sides of the last decade.

Archived