IGNORED

Three potential stars already at City

Major Isewater

With all the understandable angst over a lack of marquée signings I think we overlook what we already have .

I am very excited to see if Wes Burns , Bobby Reid and Joe Bryan can kick on .

If we had signed any of the above youngsters we would be all be praising the board for their derring do and waiting in anticipation to see the players make their mark .

I really believe that this time next year there will be pages of posts from OTIB'ers worried that we will lose these lads.

They are exciting but it is Reid that really inspires me.

Bryan - Great season in league 1 and looked like world beater. Last year - not so sure - not helped by the fact I can't really work out if he is a left wing back or midfielder but lean towards he should be challenging Golborne and not in front of him. Needs a better season and rediscover the fear he caused but may only be able to do that with Golborne out the team.

Burns - I do not know how much longer we can wait for his "potential" to turn into the player we all believed he was going to be a few years back. Last chance saloon and if he does not hit ground running I would be OK with him gone.

Reid - outstanding in second half of last year and I think could kick on to be a leg-end at this club. More to give and really excited to see him push on further.

Agree with you. 

I really want to see all three kick on this season, Wes to get some decent game time, Bobby to develop his composure and strength and Joe to put last season behind him and show the promise and talent he clearly has. 

They all have the potential to be players we can build a squad around. 

I do wonder if young Mr Burns has been given an indication by LJ that he will be seeing more game time this season?

He seemed very optimistic/excited about the season ahead and let's face it he's not had a lot to be excited about here so far.

I wonder if he's been told he has a bigger part to play.

For Burns in 16/17, read Reid in 15/16, 14/15 imho.  I'd love to see Wes kick on and get regular action.  I think we should take our time with him, even if that means another loan.  Reid has proved you can breakthrough at a relatively old age.  Wes has value, and we shouldn't be too keen to offload.  No idea what wages he got in his one year extension, but it's not going to big in the grand scheme of things.  If he starts the season well, then expect a new deal, or else he'll go for compensation only.  He might get more involvement in Wales squad too, so we need to manage that too.

Reid for me is all about greater contribution.  Had a decent end to the season, and I'm sure Lee will be asking more of him.  Glad he got a two year deal, gives him a bit of a boost and faith from the boss.

For Joe, it's a case of more of the second half of the season.  His versatility will be a bonus, and where he plays may depend on incoming players.  Improved massively after a funny start to the season.

I feel that wes will play much more with us this year. Obvious suggestions that we should buy a striker but do we need one if we play wes?

agard and wilbs can still prove handy so so not so sure we need another striker for now.

back to wes, he is obviously rapid but great in the air too and physically is quite strong. Finishing has been his downfall but that can always improve. He has the core ingredients to be a very good striker and him and kodjia would really stretch defences 

5 hours ago, Neo said:

They are exciting but it is Reid that really inspires me.

Bryan - Great season in league 1 and looked like world beater. Last year - not so sure - not helped by the fact I can't really work out if he is a left wing back or midfielder but lean towards he should be challenging Golborne and not in front of him. Needs a better season and rediscover the fear he caused but may only be able to do that with Golborne out the team.

Burns - I do not know how much longer we can wait for his "potential" to turn into the player we all believed he was going to be a few years back. Last chance saloon and if he does not hit ground running I would be OK with him gone.

Reid - outstanding in second half of last year and I think could kick on to be a leg-end at this club. More to give and really excited to see him push on further.

You've got Reid and Burns around the wrong way, Burns is 21 and Reid is 23. It's Reid imo who has to establish himself this season. This time next year he will be 24 and you have to wonder how long we can wait for his potential to be realised.

35 minutes ago, Just Red said:

You've got Reid and Burns around the wrong way, Burns is 21 and Reid is 23. It's Reid imo who has to establish himself this season. This time next year he will be 24 and you have to wonder how long we can wait for his potential to be realised.

Disagree sorry. Reid has shown several glimpses of the talent he has and has pushed on in last year or so and was a stand out performer in second half of last season to the extent I am confident he can get better and become a regular at this level.

Burns has shown very little in his time here and has not impressed albeit chances have been limited.  Certainly not improving that I have seen and may not be good enough for this level IMO. I truly hope to be wrong by the way, I know family so have reasons for hoping he becomes a world beater beyond the fact he is at City.i

Age is not a barrier to fulfilling potential but improving year on year is. Look at Kodjia he is 26 but we talk about how he improved over last season and hope for him to kick more this season.  Age is deffo on Wes's side to improve but he seems to have stagnated thus far and I just feel if does not happen soon he will not be here to prove himself and will more likely go down a level or two.

Like I have said in other topics, Reid looked a lot better in the second half of the year but he got afforded a lot more space with Tomlin in the lineup(as did everyone). Have to give him his credit but it'll be important for him to be as good and consistent as he was in the second half with or without Tomlin in the team. 

With Joe, I agree with the poster that said he needs his position sorted. I really like him at LB but will he get the chance with SG? Good player that we can play at different spots but I don't think he'll thrive again until he's a full time LB.

Wes needs a go in my opinion. He made the most of his time at Fleetwood scoring goals for a struggling side. He needs a run of games at striker be it off the bench or partering JK. Ok with an odd game on the wing but he needs a lot of time at striker and if he doesn't succeed then we tried. Can't say he failed if he's being played out of position. 

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

With all the understandable angst over a lack of marquée signings I think we overlook what we already have .

I am very excited to see if Wes Burns , Bobby Reid and Joe Bryan can kick on .

If we had signed any of the above youngsters we would be all be praising the board for their derring do and waiting in anticipation to see the players make their mark .

I really believe that this time next year there will be pages of posts from OTIB'ers worried that we will lose these lads.

Sorry Major, you're wrong.

Angst is understandable because it is only acceptable if the club has signed at least 5 players before the end of June, each costing over £3-5m and earning at least £20,000 ( thereby proving that Steve Lansdowne has put his hand in his pocket for a change ( and not just for loose change!)

Suggesting that we have our own young talent already at the club and capable of kicking on is just the sort of excuse that is trotted out season after season by a club with no ambition and with an owner unwilling to use his vast wealth when they have failed to spend millions on new players.

I am just about to buy the latest version of Championship Manager for my Spectrum computer so that I can post more accurate advice about the players that Lee Johnson should be buying for the club. Perhaps SL should invest in Championship Manager ( but I doubt if he even owns a computer) so that he can keep up with developments in the proper football world, as I can't imagine what he hopes to achieve by watching live games at the European Championships in France - he probably only went so he could pick up some cheap French plonk to bring back on the ferry to Guernsey as Maggie always tells him to watch the pennies!

This post has been made with TIC.

10 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Sorry Major, you're wrong.

Angst is understandable because it is only acceptable if the club has signed at least 5 players before the end of June, each costing over £3-5m and earning at least £20,000 ( thereby proving that Steve Lansdowne has put his hand in his pocket for a change ( and not just for loose change!)

Suggesting that we have our own young talent already at the club and capable of kicking on is just the sort of excuse that is trotted out season after season by a club with no ambition and with an owner unwilling to use his vast wealth when they have failed to spend millions on new players.

I am just about to buy the latest version of Championship Manager for my Spectrum computer so that I can post more accurate advice about the players that Lee Johnson should be buying for the club. Perhaps SL should invest in Championship Manager ( but I doubt if he even owns a computer) so that he can keep up with developments in the proper football world, as I can't imagine what he hopes to achieve by watching live games at the European Championships in France - he probably only went so he could pick up some cheap French plonk to bring back on the ferry to Guernsey as Maggie always tells him to watch the pennies!

This post has been made with TIC.

You sir, are drunk .

Archived