IGNORED

I think it's safe to say...

Redrobbin

• The title was changed to I think it's safe to say...

The attitude of Roy Hodgson summed it for me at the Iceland post match conference

'I don't know what i am doing here?'

He earns 3.5 million pounds per year, and provided the following:

Hodgson's overall qualifying record is fairly impressive:

Played 56, Won 33, Drawn 15, Lost 8, Goals For 109, Goals Against 44, Win Percentage 59%.

European Championships Qualifiers - Played 10, Won 10, Drawn 0, Lost 0, Goals For 31, Goals Against 3, Win Percentage 100%.

World Cup Qualifiers - Played 10, Won 6, Drawn 4, Lost 0, Goals For 31, Goals Against 4, Win Percentage 60%.

Friendlies - Played 25, Won 14, Drawn 6, Lost 5, Goals For 36, Goals Against 26, Win Percentage 56%.

However, in competition, I would argue, pathetic:

European Championships - Played 8, Won 3, Drawn 4, Lost 1, Goals For 9, Goals Against 7, Win Percentage 37%.

World Cup - Played 3, Won 0, Drawn 1, Lost 2, Goals For 2, Goals Against 4, Win Percentage 0%.

So where it counts in the tournaments he is had presided over 11 games and won 3. 

Cost per tournament win approx 1.3 million pounds.

You may argue that his qualifying record is good, and it is. But you have to bear in mind the opposition and the advantage of playing at home. I went to some of the qualifying games and we were average in most.

So Roy, back to your leaving speech, I agree with you wholeheartedly what were you doing there?

1 hour ago, shepton red said:

The attitude of Roy Hodgson summed it for me at the Iceland post match conference

Played 56, Won 33, Drawn 15, Lost 8, Goals For 109, Goals Against 44, Win Percentage 59%.

European Championships Qualifiers - Played 10, Won 10, Drawn 0, Lost 0, Goals For 31, Goals Against 3, Win Percentage 100%.

World Cup Qualifiers - Played 10, Won 6, Drawn 4, Lost 0, Goals For 31, Goals Against 4, Win Percentage 60%.

Friendlies - Played 25, Won 14, Drawn 6, Lost 5, Goals For 36, Goals Against 26, Win Percentage 56%.

European Championships - Played 8, Won 3, Drawn 4, Lost 1, Goals For 9, Goals Against 7, Win Percentage 37%.

World Cup - Played 3, Won 0, Drawn 1, Lost 2, Goals For 2, Goals Against 4, Win Percentage 0%.

So where it counts in the tournaments he is had presided over 11 games and won 3. 

You may argue that his qualifying record is good, and it is. But you have to bear in mind the opposition and the advantage of playing at home. I went to some of the qualifying games and we were average in most.

So Roy, back to your leaving speech, I agree with you wholeheartedly what were you doing there?

actually, given he has been on a £3.5 million contact for 4 years (£14m), it is approximately £4.6m per win

4 hours ago, shepton red said:

the same could be said about every single england manager since sir alf tho'

I may be alone in this but I don't think Hodgson is to blame for the entire team freezing in crunch games. It's been happening for 20 years. 

I disagreed with some of his selections but could at least understand the reasoning and I struggle to come up with a name for a replacement I think could do any better. 

The problems underpinning the national teams failure are systemic underinvestment in grass roots coaching and facilities, the cultural dark age our mentality all through the game is stuck in, and the greed of clubs. None of these can be fixed by a manager and none will be fixed by the FA. Learn to live with it. 

You are not alone Nibor. For football to improve in this country there needs to be a root and branch review with enforcement of the way it works from its grass roots up. It will not happen. There is too much vested interest and self interest from club to club and football governing body to body.

In regards to the FA I sometimes scratch my head as to what their national strategy is. Junior to club to junior club is different, we have no real cohesive plan, the FA has its four corners, but it is not monitored, or being universally followed = It is often ignored.

21 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I may be alone in this but I don't think Hodgson is to blame for the entire team freezing in crunch games. It's been happening for 20 years. 

I disagreed with some of his selections but could at least understand the reasoning and I struggle to come up with a name for a replacement I think could do any better. 

The problems underpinning the national teams failure are systemic underinvestment in grass roots coaching and facilities, the cultural dark age our mentality all through the game is stuck in, and the greed of clubs. None of these can be fixed by a manager and none will be fixed by the FA. Learn to live with it. 

How is grass roots football to blame when about a dozen Englishmen are through to the semi finals of a major tournament??

I am not the poster in question, but I will make a point about grass roots football in England.

There is no proper coaching structure in this Country. Often coaches have no qualifications, or have a level one badge which is not that meaningful. This would be unacceptable in Iceland, or Germany or Spain ...

As a nation from our grassroots clubs we are preparing from early ages to fail.

51 minutes ago, Big Red Rich said:

How is grass roots football to blame when about a dozen Englishmen are through to the semi finals of a major tournament??

It was one of three causes I mentioned. Compare the coaching in this country with Germany or Spain in particular the mental and philosophical side. Look at how young players are taught to approach the game and think and solve problems for themselves. Look at how much time they spend on the ball, and how much of an English players concentration budget is wasted doing simple things like control that should be second nature. 

What you're seeing with Wales is massive team spirit, absence of fear (the culture around the England team and support won't help there) and let's be honest, being underestimated and lucky.  Or do you think Chris Coleman is a genius? 

Personally, I think the reason England choke at big tournaments is because the Premier League has overinflated their worth. We big-up our Premier League heroes when in reality, they don't do well because they're not as good as we seem to think they are.

I'd argue that the home grown player rule is what has killed the national team. This rule adds a premium to English players, and ultimately means that English players are only capable of playing for a finite number of teams in a single league. I'd also argue that nearly every English player in the England squad could be replaced by a better foreign player if no home-grown rule existed. We chuck stupid values on players like Raheem Sterling when in reality no one outside of England would ever dream of spending that kind of money on him.

If I were the FA, I'd get rid of the home-grown rule, and tell prospective players that if they want to play at the highest level they need to either:

• Be better than anyone else, regardless of nationality
  • Work their way up from the lower leagues (e.g. Vardy)
  • Consider playing outside of the United Kingdom

It'd be carnage for the first few years, and I imagine a lot of player we'd initially see in the Premier League will play in the Championship because no Premier League teams want them, but eventually we'll see English players make the push upwards, or even see them making the move abroad when positions to play in the Championship become limited. Finally, it'll give European clubs a good reason to scout this country for talent, and we'll see young English lads given the opportunity to experience life in a different culture, and maybe even bring some of their footballing education back to this country. You only need to see how Eric Dier getting into the England squad has benefited this. He came from Portugal, which doesn't have an amazing league system, and is considered one of the better technical talents in the England squad. This could become the norm if England take the somewhat backwards step in removing all home-grown limitations.

21 minutes ago, Nibor said:

It was one of three causes I mentioned. Compare the coaching in this country with Germany or Spain in particular the mental and philosophical side. Look at how young players are taught to approach the game and think and solve problems for themselves. Look at how much time they spend on the ball, and how much of an English players concentration budget is wasted doing simple things like control that should be second nature. 

What you're seeing with Wales is massive team spirit, absence of fear (the culture around the England team and support won't help there) and let's be honest, being underestimated and lucky.  Or do you think Chris Coleman is a genius

he is a very good coach and manager, gets teams working hard for each other which more often then not produces results, it also helps to have a genuine world class player in the squad (something england doesn't have)

4 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Hodgson's tactical know-how is simply out of date.  Simples

more to do with the strikers he picked weren't up to task, his tactics weren't that bad, we dominated every game we played but were powderpuff upfront,  

Agree with this but he changed tactics in the final run up to euros and then during euros.  Very poor to change 6'players, so poor selection in first place, poor tactics, AND poor performances.  Seen all this in our time at Ashton Gate!!

14 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Agree with this but he changed tactics in the final run up to euros and then during euros.  Very poor to change 6'players, so poor selection in first place, poor tactics, AND poor performances.  Seen all this in our time at Ashton Gate!!

I was livid with this, if we'd won the first 2 games then you can justify it, but we hadn't even qualified and in the end it cost us momentum a chance of topping the group and we would of avoided that tough draw against the powerhouses of football Iceland 

England have always picked the best individuals available but rarely the best team .

Manager after manager has chopped and changed to incorporate the form players of the moment and there has never been a policy of continuity . 

Maybe the player pool is too big and good players don't get the chance to be very good players in the England team .

5 hours ago, Cowshed said:

There is no proper coaching structure in this Country. Often coaches have no qualifications, or have a level one badge which is not that meaningful.

I have heard it sad that youth team coaches have so much good work undone by parents.

If a lad wins possession deep in his own half and tries controlling the ball and dribbling forwards, all the blokes on the touch line will yell and scream "Boot it upfield". The young players will comply and end up gifting the ball to the oppos.

Just watching Kyrgios self destruct against Andy Murray and listening to John McEnroe. When Andrew Castle asked him whether there were days for all playes where you think you just can't be bothered today", Mac answered by saying. Players need to be reminded how lucky they are to be professional sportsmen. I thought this could be applied to many of or footballers, not just the current generation but some of the players in the past too. Was it Clough or Ferguson who was known to take his players to the local pit to show them what the average Joe does for a living? I think they need more of that in their lives.

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Just watching Kyrgios self destruct against Andy Murray and listening to John McEnroe. When Andrew Castle asked him whether there were days for all playes where you think you just can't be bothered today", Mac answered by saying. Players need to be reminded how lucky they are to be professional sportsmen. I thought this could be applied to many of or footballers, not just the current generation but some of the players in the past too. Was it Clough or Ferguson who was known to take his players to the local pit to show them what the average Joe does for a living? I think they need more of that in their lives.

Remember Botswana and our players` reactions to going to the home for blind kids? It never hurts for them to get out of their comfort zone every once in a while. Having said that, I think City are way ahead of a lot of other clubs when it comes to the community stuff - they always look happy to be wherever they are at the children`s hospice or whatever - so fair play to the club for that. Our boys seem pretty well grounded compared to a lot.

38 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Fergie took them to Aberdeen docks or something

Archived