IGNORED

What are your expectations for the coming season?

ChippenhamRed

After another good signing today, we've now added what appear to be five good players to the squad, with hopefully more to follow. We've also tied one of our best players into a new contract and not yet lost any players of great significance. All very promising.

So, here's my question - at this point in time, what are you expectations for the coming season? What would you consider "par"? What would leave you disappointed?

Personally I expect a top 10 finish and would be disappointed with anything less than top half.

Just thought it would be interesting to gauge the expectation levels off the back of a much better summer (so far)!

I think that people are forgetting that other teams have strengthened aswell and the league looks even tougher than last season. 

I'm impressed with our transfer business but we have only really replaced what we lost come the end of last season plus a couple of additions.

As always, staying up has to be the prime objective. 

I would like to think that the teams in the top half will be needing to concern themselves with us in the coming season. Any higher than 10-12th place will show genuine progression and that we are going in the right direction. 

We usually get a pass for optimism pre-season, but this is such an unforgiving division, how can anyone tell? 

The three that came down should be in the top six, also Derby, Brighton, Wednesday???

Burton, Barnsley near the bottom?

you just don't know..

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think that people are forgetting that other teams have strengthened aswell and the league looks even tougher than last season. 

I'm impressed with our transfer business but we have only really replaced what we lost come the end of last season plus a couple of additions.

As always, staying up has to be the prime objective. 

I would like to think that the teams in the top half will be needing to concern themselves with us in the coming season. Any higher than 10-12th place will show genuine progression and that we are going in the right direction. 

I agree that we have mainly replaced what we lost at the end of last season - but let's also remember that the squad that finished the season (including Tomlin most notably) was showing top 8 form.

There was a thread asking about whether or not we should push for the top 6 back before the transfer window opened, which threw up some interesting opinions.

Even now with the benefit of knowing a few signings, my expectations are pretty much the same as before the window...

You'd think that Newcastle, Norwich, Sheff Wed, Brighton, Derby will all be stronger over the course of the season than us.

You'd think that we'd be stronger over the course of the season than Brentford, Preston, Forest, Blackburn, Rotherham, Fulham, Burton and Barnsley.

So, assuming that was the case, you'd place us outside the top 5, above the bottom 8, and competing anywhere in between with QPR, Cardiff, Ipswich, Birmingham, Leeds and Wolves. 

For me, Reading, Huddersfield, Wigan and Villa will be unknown quantities based on their transfer activity thus far, so we could perhaps compete a bit higher up, but if those teams turn out to be strong, it could be a tougher season all round.

It's such a tough league it's way too hard to predict; no doubt Burton will surprise us all and get promoted at a canter....:P

If we hold on to the players we have, basically with Korey's new contract we all mean Flint and Kodj, and add a couple more, then who knows. I think the next couple of signings (assuming there will be a couple more) will really shape our expectations.

A lot may depend on how lucky we are with injuries.

If Kodjia, Tomlin and Flint play most of our games I expect we can be top 10. Serious injuries to one or two of them resulting in missing a lot of matches and we may struggle.

Given we can't just bring in loans like last season, I'm not sure we have the cover to cope in those key areas. Probably why LJ said he needs three windows to get the squad right.

With luck though we could do quite well with what we already have.

3 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

If Kodjia, Tomlin and Flint play most of our games I expect we can be top 10. Serious injuries to one or two of them resulting in missing a lot of matches and we may struggle.

Given we can't just bring in loans like last season, I'm not sure we have the cover to cope in those key areas. Probably why LJ said he needs three windows to get the squad right.

A good start and we may have some momentum behind us, following on from our form towards the end of last season. I suspect mid table, but with luck and no injuries we may push towards the top six.

We do a striker, for two reasons JK is likely to be at African Cup of Nations and he did have a long spell last year without scoring. 

Certainly optimistic going to the new season, and confident we won't be in a battle at the bottom this year 

6 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Plenty of time till 1st September too with all this early business done. I do believe as well that we are looking for genuine quality for the U21s for that very reason, in case one or more have to step up.

Archived