IGNORED

What are your expectations for the coming season?

ChippenhamRed

Being honest, I expect top half. Yes the top teams are strong so top 6 will be difficult. Derby, Norwich, Newcastle, Villa, and Brighton I do expect to be in that top 6 range. Yes even Villa. It's still a talented squad and should compete with new ownership and management. After that though we are there with anyone. I think Fulham will come back a bit and Brentford seem to have pushed on this summer as well. Preston are organised well. We should be in that 7-12 range at least. Lower than that and I'd be a little underwhelmed but I don't think we'll be relegated so that is an improvement. 

An upper mid-table finish should be a realistic aim and would show good progress from last season. As many have said, it's going to be a competitive division but in Tomlin and O'Neil especially we have added both quality and experience.

I hope we get some good results from our tough opening set of games to help build confidence and momentum.

Difficult to say, mid table would be good. We have signed two proven players, and three gambles imo. I would have more confidence if we can somehow get Matthews and another striker in, at the moment we are one injury away from losing all of our goals.

I think the key here is that we now have a championship quality team, and with one or two more additions, a championship squad.

Look at it this way - at base level, how many "teams"/"squads" would you trade ours for? If say it's 10 first xi's but 15 squads then at base level 12 is realistic.

This, however, ignores two factors - it's all about a) the spirit and b) the manager.

At this level, at base skill, there isn't much between a Bristol City player, a Derby player or a Wigan player. It's how they're used, and how consistent they are - together with how much they want it.

For me, the players are together. The manager knows how to win games and has evidenced that, and the "DNA" of all concerned is right (sorry).

So, as we stand, at "base" we are worse on paper than a few teams, but I think the above is worth 3-5 places if not more on that. So my base is about 8-12, my hope is 3-7. Add a few more to the squad, and that may improve.

We shouldn't be in a relegation battle at all.  There's never much separating the middle dozen teams, somewhere in that mix is realistic, and I'd like to enjoy some attacking football at least at home.

I am pleased with the business done so far but I think there's still more to do in the market, take away the development squad and we have about 17 pros.

IMO we need another striker, a centre half, a right back and a left sided player almost irrespective of what shape we're playing.  Maybe loans for one or two of those, although I'm hoping Matthews signs permanently.

I'd move on players like Agard, Little, Williams & Fielding if an offer arrives because I don't think we'd have too much trouble finding replacements who can push on a bit.  it isn't urgent as they can all do a job.

The very minimum requirement though is the first one:  not in a relegation battle at any point.

I would be happy to improve on last season. Anything better than last season is progress in my eyes. Hopefully with LJ we will continue to move further away from the style we were playing at the start of last season. 

Improvements have been made off the pitch. Hopefully we will see even more on it

• Admin
1 hour ago, Nibor said:

We shouldn't be in a relegation battle at all.  There's never much separating the middle dozen teams, somewhere in that mix is realistic, and I'd like to enjoy some attacking football at least at home.

I am pleased with the business done so far but I think there's still more to do in the market, take away the development squad and we have about 17 pros.

IMO we need another striker, a centre half, a right back and a left sided player almost irrespective of what shape we're playing.  Maybe loans for one or two of those, although I'm hoping Matthews signs permanently.

I'd move on players like Agard, Little, Williams & Fielding if an offer arrives because I don't think we'd have too much trouble finding replacements who can push on a bit.  it isn't urgent as they can all do a job.

The very minimum requirement though is the first one:  not in a relegation battle at any point.

20 pros (see "The Squad" thread) & 5 U21s that can consider themselves on the edge of the first team squad.

I still expect us to sign another ST, RB & CB though taking us to a squad of 23 (ignoring the development squad) plus a goalie on loan until January.

Expectations for the season?

Optimism, reality, frustration, anxiety, occasional anger, disappointment, hope, nail biting, hopefully followed by relief.

And that's just the first match.

I'd like to think that the season will bring anticipation, excitement, anticipation, disbelief and euphoria.

Oh, I also expect quite a lot "have they scored yet?"

8 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

After another good signing today, we've now added what appear to be five good players to the squad, with hopefully more to follow. We've also tied one of our best players into a new contract and not yet lost any players of great significance. All very promising.

So, here's my question - at this point in time, what are you expectations for the coming season? What would you consider "par"? What would leave you disappointed?

Personally I expect a top 10 finish and would be disappointed with anything less than top half.

Just thought it would be interesting to gauge the expectation levels off the back of a much better summer (so far)!

If you expect top ten prepare for dissapointment.. I would expect an improvement on last seasons finish,say 15th.....without too many worry's about the dreaded drop!...we will be fine in a division that looks stronger than last year.

I still think we're lacking in some position (RB, RW and S) so of we fill those then I'd say top 10/8 if we can keep the momentum at the end of last season going. If we don't fill those positions and cannot recreate that form, then my expectations are bottom half somewhere. No one knows yet how these new signings will gel yet.

One thing is 100% certain, after the first game finishes, OTIB will be full of criticism and doom and gloom as I fear some peoples expectations are off the scale.

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

If you expect top ten prepare for dissapointment.. I would expect an improvement on last seasons finish,say 15th.....without too many worry's about the dreaded drop!...we will be fine in a division that looks stronger than last year.

I will respectfully disagree. I think the squad is now more than a match for the one that finished last season, and far superior to the one that started it. On that basis I would expect an improvement of more than 3 places.

As I said earlier, the team within Tomlin in it was showing top 8 form. Since then Baker has been replaced with Magnusson, we've signed Tomlin permanently, and also added what looks like quality in O'Neil, Brownhill and O'Dowda. Yes, we still need a striker, but overall we already look stronger and there is still time to further strengthen. So 15th would be disappointing in my book.

We have to be realistic of course, we have new players that haven't played in the Championship before and we know how long it took some of our players last season to bed in. A few on here have said mid table, in this league that could mean almost anything, 4 more wins last season would have seen us finish 10th instead of 18th. The main thing will be to try and see the season as a whole and not to panic if we have a few slip ups along the way.

I would over the moon with 10th now, but am as excited as everyone else, the signings suggest we will be entertaining along the way.

To be between 8th and 16th all season without any danger of getting dragged into a relegation battle.

While it would be exciting to flirt with a play off spot, I consider that our Club needs a season of stability because we have a a young and developing squad of players who will benefit from this much more than the stress of fighting relegation or promotion. 

We also must make our home form and results, the bedrock of our season, thus encouraging more supporters to come to games and to get behind the team making Ashton Gate the "Fortress" that it must be if we are to mount any realistic challenge at the top in the following seasons.

10 hours ago, Pezo said:

Below 14th would be poor, 8th or above would great, anywhere in between would be hitting my expectations.

This is how I see it at the minute. However, I really think a couple more quality signings, particularly a good goal scorer to help Kodjia out will see an above 10th finish more likely. Last season we had to rely on Wilbs and Agard to back him up and we need to have better options to really push on, in my opinion.

• Admin

I look at how we did after Cotts left last season and over that (not inconsiderable) spell, we were the 6th best side in this division and then look at the way we have bought this Summer (& early too to allow them to gel) and think why not? I then look at the likes of Newcastle, Villa, Norwich, Derby, Brighton and answer my question.

However, I do think we are one of 12-14 teams who have some right to view themselves as challengers for that top 6. I posted elsewhere about Kodjia's improvement with Tomlin in the side (not to mention the fact that LJ seemed to have fixed his "often offside" trait in the last 4 or 5 games) and if continued this season, he would get us 25+ goals. Tomlin was  scoring at a rate of 15 goals a season. IF we can go through this season with 40 goals from that pair, we will be up there amongst those clubs.

Unfortunately though, if we don't go up and Kodjia does get over 20 goals I fear we will be shopping for his replacement next Summer. 

Expect an entertaining, competitive season with some sublime moments from Mr Tomlin, and at some stage we will flirt with the bottom half of the table, and at some other stage we will look like a team that could surge for the play-offs.

This season will be a thrill-ride, and don't forget, LJ is still learning the job at this level.  There will be unexpected moments to test his mettle, and it will be fascinating to watch how he deals with these curve balls.

I'd fancy us to finish within 10 points of the top six.

Hmmm...

interesting question. 

My thoughts on it are this; we have the component parts to finish anywhere Between 16th and 3rd - I would suspect that 1st and 2nd will be very hard to prise from Newcastle (top) and Norwich (2nd). 

The real question is how well can LJ bring together these component parts to form a team (a la Leicester or Iceland). This will have the largest bearing on where we finish up. 

I think will hand out the occasional mauling but probably suffer the same occasionally but you can guarantee it'll be a rollercoaster ride. 

My ambition is that we win more than we lose, beat Forest twice and get to the 5th round of the cup. 

Whatever happens, we'll all be here, falling out, being super fans (or not as the case may be), and thinking we all know better than LJ. 

I wouldn't want it any other way. 

As a rider to my earlier post, looking at what we expect from a different viewpoint.

We do not want any more 0-4 maulings at home; ideally we will not lose at home and will win 75% of them. Realistically, if we can get draws at home against the top half dozen big clubs, then that would be a big achievement.

Away if we get the same points as last season, we will be doing well.

And being able to close out a game whether leading or drawing without conceding in the last few minutes will also herald a new found steel in the squad.

Lots to look forward to. 

Being optimistic: 9th -11th

Pessimistic: 22nd - 18th

Realistic: 12th - 15th.

I think we should revisit this thread in early September when we know for sure what our squad will be and once a tricky opening month of fixtures is out of the way. We will also know a good deal more about the new lads than most of us know now.

30 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

I think we should revisit this thread in early September when we know for sure what our squad will be and once a tricky opening month of fixtures is out of the way. We will also know a good deal more about the new lads than most of us know now.

I'd say October rather then sept to be fair Jack

37 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

My expectations are shifting, moment by moment, post by post, rumour by rumour. Here's an update:

Deluded: 2nd - 4th.

Wildly Optimistic: 5th - 8th.

Optimistic: 9th - 11th.

Realistic: 12th - 15th.

Pessimistic: 18th - 22nd.

Thatch-tistic: 23rd.

I have no words or states-of-mind for "1st" or "24th"

Archived