IGNORED

Military coup in Turkey?

Charliesboots

20 minutes ago, The Bard said:

A coup is the takeover of a state, usually by force by an unelected group, most commonly within the military. 

It seems that elements of the Turkish Military are trying to seize control of the Turkish state.

Pretty much this, as a military is the only organisation within a nation to have the capabilities of doing such a thing properly. 

Seems to be a group of junior officers trying it on.   Could be far more Islamist than their senior officers.  The US gives an awful lot of money to the Turkish military.

Gaddafi was a junior officer before the Libyan coup.  So was Saddam Hussein before the Iraqi one in 1969.

5 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Even considering to allow Turkey membership to the EU made the situation worse, this has been accident waiting to happen ever since Erdogan took over.

Why did possible EU membership make the situation worse?

Please explain.

3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

This won't be an Islamist coup rather a secular one

The Army in Turkey strangely defends the secular democratic state established by Ataturk after First World War.

This is actually good news for The West

Historically it has done.  BUT there were a lot of reports of people detained en route to Syria to join ISIS being released by elements within the Turkish military and police.  Almost certainly not as a result of an order from Ankara or Istanbul.    The Turkish military is not homogenous.

3 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Why did possible EU membership make the situation worse?

Please explain.

Because Erdogan is as dodgy as many of the despots in that area, he ran with the hares and hunted with the foxes, he has run rings around the USA and the EU and we have been running scared and cow towing down to this country for far too long, he has basically held us to ransom and never properly kept his side of the bargain, he has jailed many of his opponents, closed down unfriendly media outlets the guy then tried to start WWIII with Russia, almost certainly he and his family have been profiteering from oil from Isis and yet we still consider them/him OK to be part of the EU, this could be the next Syria if it escalates.

As one of the guys said the president does not look in control of his country. 

I believe somethin simar happened in the 80's did it not?

Problem is you are going to have people breaking the curfew and approaching the military and on the other hand you will have those citizens wanting to support the military takeover. Its gonna get messy!

To think they wanted in the EU aswell!!

56 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

This won't be an Islamist coup rather a secular one

The Army in Turkey strangely defends the secular democratic state established by Ataturk after First World War.

This is actually good news for The West

That actually was my first thought.

However the fear now emerging is that these are followers of Fethullah Gulen, a US-based Muslim cleric accused of fomenting unrest, who would be less secular than the current administration. A lot of them got purged. Time will tell I guess.

46 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

As one of the guys said the president does not look in control of his country. 

I believe somethin simar happened in the 80's did it not?

Problem is you are going to have people breaking the curfew and approaching the military and on the other hand you will have those citizens wanting to support the military takeover. Its gonna get messy!

To think they wanted in the EU aswell!!

Croatia will shortly be in the EU.  20 years ago it had a pretty severe civil war..

16 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Croatia will shortly be in the EU.  20 years ago it had a pretty severe civil war..

Yes im well aware of that mate but thats twenty years ago turkey wont have a chance now surely. Not sure how this gonna play out but i fear the casualties will be high. 

I think that was a great advert for how powerful social media can be, military coup lasted only a few hours because Erdogan used a weapon of mass destruction, which was facetime. The people responded in their droves to confront the tanks and the soldiers.

As Citizen Smith once said, Power to the people.

21 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

indeed it did after 50 years of relative peace during the cold war era, whereas Turkey has been unstable since at least 1960 with countless military coup's during that time, the place is a powder keg.

is the west on another asrse kissing exercise and creating the next Saddam Hussein?, EU membership to boot?.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/17/us-turkey-coup-attempt-fethullah-gulen

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3693976/Narcissist-threatens-MARK-ALMOND-tells-Erdogan-seen-president-abuses-office-benefit-family-cronies.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3693729/Did-Erdogan-STAGE-coup-based-Turkish-cleric-facing-extradition-botched-rebellion-claims-president-orchestrated-plot-justify-clampdown-civil-rights.html

9 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

Turkey's Reichstag Fire? The start of an Islamist dictatorship?

Turkey coup attempt: Key military officers arrested - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36818401

It appears that Erdogan is using it as a reason to neutralise a lot of his enemies - 2,700 judges sacked, I can`t imagine they were manning the helicopter gunships.

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 23:09, TheCulturalBomb said:

Can anyone give me a time or date for the next ticket to the moon, preferably one-way? Thanks.

If and when you get there have a word with Alfie and ask him what it's all about....

(sorry ;) ignore that........ I'm just being Cilla .... a lot of people know that) 

15 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

It appears that Erdogan is using it as a reason to neutralise a lot of his enemies - 2,700 judges sacked, I can`t imagine they were manning the helicopter gunships.

At the risk of invoking Godwin's Law, I would point out that everything the Nazi state did between 1933 and 1941 was perfectly legal and constitutional under the emergency powers granted by the Reichstag in response to the fire, which may or may not have been provoked by them.

Watch this space...

Archived