IGNORED

So, who's stronger and Who's weaker than last season..?

Bar BS3

After a wide consensus of opinion of the "hopes for the season" thread, I thought it would be interesting to actually take a look at how teams might differ from last season. 

It's all very well saying "we can finish top 10" but it looks as though the likes of Huddersfield will be an entirely different proposition in coming season. Similar to Sheff Wednesday this time last year, perhaps..?

Rotherham look weaker, Blackburn probably a tad weaker. 

Will be interesting to see what Fulham do. 

the relegated Prem teams look stronger than those who went up. 

Burton are a complete unknown but Wigan could make an impact and look stronger than MKD and Charlton were. 

Forrest could struggle. 

Thoughts on teams that might be notably better or worse than last season..?

It is going to be a very tight season again, the league looks stronger this year and not many points will separate the 8 teams or so in the mid table.

Huddersfield I would have tipped to struggle, but they've held onto key players and recruited well.

Blackburn may struggle, especially if Hanley leaves. But they've done well to get an experience Danny Graham.

Reading for me could go either way, lots of foreign signings and a fairly inexperienced manager, will they gel quickly? Could go wrong.

Wigan and Barnsley won't be push overs. 

My bottom three are Burton, Rotherham and Fulham. 

God it's a tough league, i'd be very happy with mid table this year, with the last 10 games us having a late surge for the playoffs, but not quite making it.

Newcastle, Norwich and Brighton to go up for me. Derby & Sheff Weds will be there or thereabouts and there`s always one surprise package - Wigan perhaps? Rotherham, Burton and Fulham to go down unless they can hang on to McCormack - if not them, Barnsley. Huddersfield could go either way depending on how their signings settle. The mid table bunch should be us, Reading, Leeds, Wolves (although they may struggle due to finances), Forest (as Wolves), Blackburn, Cardiff, Brentford, Ipswich, Birmingham, Preston and QPR. I`d like to think we could finish somewhere towards the top end of that lot. The only side I really have no idea about are Villa.

I can't see past the PL relegation victims. All have parachute payments and Newcastle in particular have a top manager in Benitez.

Villa - again they're  another wealthy club and will be desperate to return to the PL as will Norwich.

4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I think Villa are a bit of an unknown at present as they haven't done much business in or out yet.

Yeah that`s what I was thinking, we have no idea yet what their starting 11 will look like on August 6th whereas we could take a reasonable shot at most sides if you looked at their squad now - like us for instance.

2 hours ago, cynic said:

FWIW at this stage;

Huddersfield, Leeds, and Brentford look to have made some good signings.

Sheffield, Brighton, and Derby were already strong and will be again.

Newcastle, Villa, and Norwich will be up there.

Wigan will be competitive.

QPR, Fulham, Woves, and Forest all underachieved last season and will not do so again imo.

QPR will overspend again no doubt. Fulhsm need to sell mccormack and reinvest the money IMO. Wolves and Forest not really doing anything to impress me at the moment i think these two may be lower than some think!

11 hours ago, RedDave said:

A basic target for this season is to end up with a positive goal difference.  Wherever that means we end up is probably fine.

And close out games better. If we`d done that effectively last season we would have had at least 5 points more that I can think of (MK & Charlton at home, Reading away) and there are probably a couple more as well.

Huddersfield fans at work seem very confident that they'll do well next season (and by 'do well' they mean 'flirt with the play offs and finish mid table'), but I think it could go two ways for them

The Barnsley fans seem quite confident that they'll take last seasons form into this and have a decent season. It's eerily remeniscent of most of our attitudes this time last year, but it could happen

Rotherham fans are fairly downbeat, Sheff Wed fans fairly upbeat

Sheff Utd fans still think they can catch us ;-)

As for us, I feel that if we can strengthen the defence some more we'll be a miles ahead of last year and a real danger to the play offs. Better keeper, O'Neil makes us better in midfield (plus I think Brownhill could force his way in- just a feeling), loads more attacking options. The squad needs rounding out though, I think we need at least one more centre half, a right back and some more help up front. Possibly a right footed winger too

Archived