IGNORED

Light Weight Attack

i_am_red

I was just speaking to a friend at work and we were discussing our attack. Ok we may have 6 stikers but there all light weight.

Leroy-Exellent Player as we all know, But he is pretty short and not the man to hold the ball up.

Robbo- Fast as we know, prefers to run at defences.

Gilespe-Only saw pictures but he's is still only a young lad so may not have the strength of a more mature player. From what i have read he's a quality goal scocer.

Miller- Same sort of player as peacock but lacking a bit of upper body strength-I am no way doubting his work rate or effort. Exellent in the air for flick on but maybe not to hold the ball up.

Heff- The mans 11st and 5'10-Sounds to be just what were looking for in a out and out striker. But he aint no tower of strenght to be fair.

McClean (If he signs)- He's 6 ft and seems to have the same build as miller-to be honest he sounds alot like miller but with a exellent scoring record even though its at a lower level.

(Miller had a good strike rate at a lower level remeber)

Then the midfield......

Goodfellow could possibly been the smallest weakest player ever-good at his job (sometimes) Good strike rate from starts.

Aussie-I am not sure what lukes purpose in the city squad is yet-he's also very light weight and cant tackle.

Super Scotty- Everyone knows how good he is but he aint no man mountain.

I know theres Tommy to protect these sort of players but I still think we need a strong forward player.

I hate to bring this up but remeber how we player at cardiff with out any peacock!

We need a proper old fashion target man.

Because otherwise the heafty center backs and centre midfields are going to kick the Cr@p out of our smaller players-Bournmouth with kill us they got alot of beast. At this level of football you dont always need pretty players as we found out last year.

On a plus we may get some penalty's :city:

I also think robbo will go because i dont think mo manager can keep 6 strikers happy. Robbo is the only one tinman aint said alot about.

Any Views??????? :o

Would you be happier if we signed a bunch of rugby players? They're not lightweight.

Our players have skill and pace, and that's far more dangerous than being big and strong.

Also, everyone keeps saying that Miller is too lightweight. I don't think I've ever seen him fail to win a header. He does it without fouling the defender too, which makes him a massive improvement over peacock.

I'd take a team of talented little fast lads over a bunch of 6ft cloggers any day.

I dont want a team of rugby players -Just a strong front man like a peacock but better.

The brighton game in cardiff is a perfect example. We were ok til we got to our front men where the attack just broke down.

We need a Shearer/Dublin/Sutton type player.

Remember last season Maclean was playing with torpey so he had some one to feed off.

Guest Rikku
I also think robbo will go because i dont think mo manager can keep 6 strikers happy. Robbo is the only one tinman aint said alot about.

I think that it would be unwise to let Roberts go. If you look at our current strikers: Roberts, Heffernan, Lita, Gillespie, Miller - Roberts is the only player that has proved that he can score goals for BCFC. I'm sure that Heffernan will and admittedly the others haven't had that much of a chance (I know Miller has featured frequently but I don't think that partnering him with Peacock gave him the best opportunity), but it would be a shame to exclude the player who had the best scoring ratio for us last season.

Having said that, it wouldn't be fair to make him stick around if he's on the bench week in week out and I can't see him getting much of a look in with Heffernan in the squad! :city:

Or maybe we need a midfield that can push on and support the strikers?

If the midfielders created more options then the defenders wouldn't need to hoof it to the strikers and we wouldn't need a targetman.

I can appreciate your concerns, but I'd much rather see our players passing it along the floor and moving to create space, than hoofing it to a big lad. If we need to go route one, then Miller should win a fair few anyway.

I don't think Roberts will be forced out, but he will be in a position where he will have to work hard on improving his game to stand a chance.

Guest yajrellim

Brazil continually win things without big targetman lads upfront like romario and ronaldo for example.

they win things by playing a skillfull passing game, which by the sounds of it, this is what tinnion wants the team to play.

so hopefully with the group of strikers at tinnions disposal, all young and hungry with something to prove, they will beat teams by playing good attacking football.

I agree, we should play passing football-and i really wanna see it but i was just thinking how many time matt hill or butts launched a ball 2wards our front men-completly by-passing our midfield.

So it pointless having good passers in th emidfield because generally last season we didnt use them.

This isnt a dig at matty or tony but 8 of 10 times it was whooshhhh up field.

And if were going to whooshh it again we need someone to win the ball. Miller will win alot but i still think we need someone stronger to hold the ball up. Miller wins it but just flicks it on.

I agree yajrellim i think next season is going to be an exciting experience and Tinman is going to introduce a new style of play and CREATIVITY that we need, we dont necasseraly need huge built players all we need is skill which is what we have! and we have loads of it to!!!

The defenders had to bypass the midfield because the midfield weren't creating options or moving into space.

Tins needs to get the midfield to move about a bit and create passes for the defenders to play. Hopefully the addition of the extra man and a bit more encouragement for Luke Wilkshire will enable this to happen.

I was just speaking to a friend at work and we were discussing our attack. Ok we may have 6 stikers but there all light weight.

Leroy-Exellent Player as we all know, But he is pretty short and not the man to hold the ball up.

Robbo- Fast as we know, prefers to run at defences.

Gilespe-Only saw pictures but he's is still only a young lad so may not have the strength of a more mature player. From what i have read he's a quality goal scocer.

Miller- Same sort of player as peacock but lacking a bit of upper body strength-I am no way doubting his work rate or effort. Exellent in the air for flick on but maybe not to hold the ball up.

Heff- The mans 11st and 5'10-Sounds to be just what were looking for in a out and out striker. But he aint no tower of strenght to be fair.

McClean (If he signs)- He's 6 ft and seems to have the same build as miller-to be honest he sounds alot like miller but with a exellent scoring record even though its at a lower level.

(Miller had a good strike rate at a lower level remeber)

Then the midfield......

Goodfellow could possibly been the smallest weakest player ever-good at his job (sometimes) Good strike rate from starts.

Aussie-I am not sure what lukes purpose in the city squad is yet-he's also very light weight and cant tackle.

Super Scotty- Everyone knows how good he is but he aint no man mountain.

I know theres Tommy to protect these sort of players but I still think we need a strong forward player.

I hate to bring this up but remeber how we player at cardiff with out any peacock!

We need a proper old fashion target man.

Because otherwise the heafty center backs and centre midfields are going to kick the Cr@p out of our smaller players-Bournmouth with kill us they got alot of beast. At this level of football you dont always need pretty players as we found out last year.

On a plus we may get some penalty's :city:

Any Views??????? :o

Six strikers - your 'avin' a laugh

Leroy - totally unproven and likely to end up with Forest Green or similar

Robbo - the only proven goalscorer

Gillespie - only done it at lower level or reserves

Miller - may progress but not worth the money on showing to date

Heff - unproven at our level

McLean - not with us - yet!

Midfield

Goodfellow - bl##dy useless so far

Ausie - hope he stays away - hasn't had a good game yet

Scotty - no player should ever "come back" - always was my favourite though

Tommy - might yet be a decent player but probably not with us

Tins - had a lousy season, past it and no experience or knowledge as a manager

Got my season ticket - of course

Hopeful of a good season - have to be

Realistic chance of promotion - NOT

Chance of being proved wrong - live in hope

Guest bristolbred

Dear Grannyjoy, :o

My mate, who follows Notts County would like to know why Lee is so lean??. :o

Have you not heard of IRN BRU!!, DEEP FRIED MARS BARS!!, HAGGIS WITH TATTIES AND NEEPS??.

He should of been the same build of Rougier, to go running Rhino like at the defenses of our opponents!!. :city:

:o

Lita will not end up at forest green.

The "Heff" scored 21 goals for a awful team who went down-In the same leauge as us-So to me thats a proven scorer at our level.

And with those neggative comments about nearly all our players-They aint helping no-one.

So I think we should just get behind the team and hope the tinman gets the midfield more involved and we play some nice passing football.

I'm afraid ENGLAND youve let yourself down here. Usually post quite well, but that was just poor. I disagree with the majority of what u have said, for example Miller hasnt shown his worth because Wilson never played a gameplan that suits him and didnt play him enough. Lita will be with us IN DIVISION ONE (bugger coca cola thats what its called) Heffernan has more than prooved himself at this level. Wilkshire has had good games, he was our top assister last year, has his confidence undermined a huge amount by people who dont want to give him a chance, he didnt play in a huge amount of games because of dogmatic danny and international's. And i cant see how goodfellow can be described as bl**dy useless so far, he scored some vital goals which we wouldnt have come one point behind QPR without, he was played out of position for the beggining of his time with us. And without him we wouldnt have got to the millenium stadium. So that is TOSH.

Guest City, we are Bristol

I was just speaking to a work colleague from Scotland who hates football, strange lad, but reckons 8lb of Scottish slice a day will soon beef up Miller.

Seriously though, I reckon we are yet to see the best of Miller and given a decent run in the side he will more than account for the goals lost from the team by the departure of Peacock. As for Leroy, on numerous occasions when coming on as a substitute he managed to win more headers than Peacock did all game without giving away needless fouls. Plus Lita has the ability to regularly find the back of the net! Gillespie is a bit of an unknown but sounds promising and Hefferman has proved he can get 20+ goals in this league.

Roberts is the only one i have doubts about, granted he had an excellent finish to the season but until March had only scored two goals all season. His continual need to try and trap the ball and hit at at goal in around 0.2 milliseconds can be frustrating!

The season before last, City were playing by far the most attractive attacking football i have ever seen at the gate using the 3-5-2 formation so hopefully Tins can get us back to that without losing to much of the solidity displayed at the back last season. So, all in all i'm reasonably optimistic.

Guest Champagne Football
Six strikers - your 'avin' a laugh

Robbo - the only proven goalscorer

Gillespie - only done it at lower level or reserves

Miller - may progress but not worth the money on showing to date

Heff - unproven at our level

McLean - not with us - yet!

Midfield

Goodfellow - bl##dy useless so far

Ausie - hope he stays away - hasn't had a good game yet

Scotty - no player should ever "come back" - always was my favourite though

Tommy - might yet be a decent player but probably not with us

Tins - had a lousy season, past it and no experience or knowledge as a manager

Got my season ticket - of course

Hopeful of a good season - have to be

Realistic chance of promotion - NOT

Chance of being proved wrong - live in hope

I have to say, apart from Heffernan not being proven at our level, 21 goals last season, England has got it spot on.

Leroy - overated, he runs around like a headless chicken and gets lucky breaks when defenders can no longer catch up with him because they are so tired or make mistakes. He isn't a good shooter I have witnessed him miss a lot of sitters and one on ones.

Robbo - best bet at the moment, does score goals but can blow hot and cold.

Gillespie - has yet to even face a second division defender.

Miller - People say he will be up for it next season and what have you, but come off it, can it really be that hard to adjust to the pace of our division? I think not, I think we have seen the best of him last season and maybe that isn't quite good enough.

Heffernan - We await to see what kind of player he is, but I doubt he will be able to partner Roberts up front because of their similarities. This means we can only play one of a possible 2 proven goal scorers.

Maclean - Hasn't signed.

Midfield.

Goodfellow - Scores goals, but would be hopeless as a winger in a 3-5-2 formation, can't support either the midfield or defence. Apart from find himself in the penalty area now and again, he may as well dig a hole in the turf and sit in it.

Wilkshire - I have yet to see anything from him. Not even one real telling pass. We need a replacment from him, won't work hard enough in a 3-5-2 system.

Murray - Disagree - I think he was always overated, has no skill but used to posess some pace, so could knock it past the defender and run for 30 metres after it. He has now lost that pace, won't beat many defenders next year and so it would seem that he will be pretty useless out on the right. No real crossing ability.

Tommy - Class player.

Tinnion - looked past it last season, replacement needed.

All in all, I think it is pretty grim reading, we still have a young unproven squad who struggle to get goals. The players who did score goals, Murray, have lost their pace and won't be so effective. Lets hope Heffernan and the new signing, if we get one, can put the ball in the net and hope that Gillespie turns out to be just as exciting as some people suggest.

I wouldn't mind seeing some youngsters from the academy coming through to play in midfield, because bar Tommy and Aaron (if he stays), that is the place where we lack quality and skill. With 5 men supposedly playing there next season we need some urgent reshuffling in our first team. Harley and Anyinsah are all apparently quick and skillful and that is the injection we will certainly need against crummy little 10 men behind the ball teams.

"Plus Lita has the ability to regularly find the back of the net! Gillespie is a bit of an unknown but sounds promising and Hefferman has proved he can get 20+ goals in this league.

Roberts is the only one i have doubts about, granted he had an excellent finish to the season but until March had only scored two goals all season. His continual need to try and trap the ball and hit at at goal in around 0.2 milliseconds can be frustrating"

Lita has the ability to regularly find the back of the net???????

Roberts, is the only one I have doubts about????

You are joking aint you...Leroy is developing, and I would suggest along with Gillespie the weakest strikers on the team. Miller and Robbo both got half what Leapy managed to acheive in a season, in less than half the appearances. Putting those two on this season will kibosh it...both unproven to say the least..play Heff, & Robbo up-front, with Miller in the hole behind. Those three should be first choice, as they have pace, experience and proven ability at this level. Half Miller & Robbos problems last season were the limited oppurtunities that they had, and both took any chance going, not always wisely, especially knowing that they would only play for 90 minutes in VERY rare occasions.

Leroy & Gillespie should be used on the bench, and in LDV games and the like to get them the experience both direly need..getting goals against the stiffs in any team aint hard, cos the best players in the lower leagues unless injured will always be in the 1st team. Besides why would you play those two when you have internationals playing in the Squad...Mark Hughes picked Robbo, and I think he has a better eye for a player than you do, Miller, Scottish U21, and Heff, Irish U21/Full?..er Leroy & Gillespie? Besides just why would Liverpool release their top scorer, as I understand it?

Guest City, we are Bristol

bucksred, where exactly did i suggest to play Gillespie and Lita up front? I was replying to the original post about the team being lightweight and expressing my views that i believe we have a decent set of strikers who can help us to promotion. Also, i was not doubting Roberts ability just whether or not he can display it on a regular basis as he seems to be either one of the best players on the pitch or the worst.

We obviously have differnt views on Lita, but i still believe that if he played week in week out he'd bag 20+ goals next season.

• Admin

Admittedly it's been a while since I visted Forest Green, but since when did they overtake us and build a 30k odd seater stadium?

Was I napping or something?

dunno.gif

Archived