IGNORED

Big Sam gets the England Job

Nomad

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not ignoring your point at all. I think chewing gum whilst being filmed is disgusting. Those managers that chew gum do it because it helps calm them during a stressful game and if helps then so be it but if the England manager does it's even more disgusting. It makes them look like thugs.

Who pissed on your Wrigleys RR? It's only a bit of gum! 

Would sucking on a boiled sweet be acceptable?

Werther's anyone?

3 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Who pissed on your Wrigleys RR? It's only a bit of gum! 

Would sucking on a boiled sweet be acceptable?

Werther's anyone?

As long as there is no sucking on a fisherman's friend.

On 7/21/2016 at 19:09, redfred said:

Allardyce chewing gum will result in absolutely zero comment from the rest of the world. 

Chewing gum is perfectly normal and it is not spitting or shitting in the technical area. 

This is left for the Second Division in China where it is quite regular for gaffer's to squat and crap during a match. The good thing is that it does get scooped up quickly by the prowl of Turkey's parading the touchline. Later the odd one turns up in a slap up meal for the winning team.

On 7/21/2016 at 20:32, Moor2Sea said:

You don't work for the FA do you?

Suppose you had the same view on Clough. He wasn't an FA image fit either. 

Bravo the FA. Belatedly, Sam's appointment indicates that even they now accept a man of 'substance not froth' is required for the national coach role.

I'd rather all the players to chew gum rather than rolling up with headphones and Sasson handbags... the bunch of wasters. 

Not much to disagree with there. 

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

Bet he doesn't think that now...........

He probably does or the autobiography was just made up nonsense to sell in the first place... perhaps his thoughts have toned down a little..

Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 22.06.47.png

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Not ignoring your point at all. I think chewing gum whilst being filmed is disgusting. Those managers that chew gum do it because it helps calm them during a stressful game and if helps then so be it but if the England manager does it's even more disgusting. It makes them look like thugs.

If I was you I wouldn't watch masterchef then! Chewing gum makes you look like a thug? Zzzzzzz.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Allardyce looks like a thug anyway, before he's put any gum in his mouth. Would you be okay if he kept his mouth shut whilst chewing his gum (as he would do, if he had been brought up properly)?

9 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Allardyce looks like a thug anyway, before he's put any gum in his mouth. Would you be okay if he kept his mouth shut whilst chewing his gum (as he would do, if he had been brought up properly)?

If he'd been brought up properly he wouldn't chew gum.....

13 hours ago, Robbored said:

Youre off your head. Chewing gum who gives a ******* shite? 

7 hours ago, Iron Man said:

A manager who won't take no nonsense from over privileged pre Madonna's, won't be a typical "yes" man and might give England an identity we've lacked for a good part of five decades.

I think Blondie was pre Madonna .

Could you mean Prima donna or First ( leading )  Lady , if you prefer ? 

These precious stars are known for their capricious behaviour as well .

;)

While I like to see England do well, I'm hopefully more of an impartial view on this appointment since Portugal is my team (did I mention that ever? ;) ).

We were discussing Sam Allardyce during the tournament (with City/England mates) and I will say now what I said then about him as England manager. 

I reckon he will do a fantastically good job and is exactly what England need. I've always been surprised by the obsession with becoming more foreign*.

It's been a succession of foreign coaches (Sven, Capello) or foreign-influenced coaches (Schteeve, Woy) trying to change England's footballing identity.

To my mind England's best success in the modern era has been under English bosses playing authentically English football: Sir Bobby Robson or El Tel.

Robson had yet to go overseas at the time (picked the wrong clubs in Portugal mind) while Venables even at Barcelona played resolutely English 4-4-2.

Nowadays I always find England at tournaments a pale imitation of what England should be. Gutless, low tempo, showing opponents too much respect.

It feels like an attempt to play suffocating, continental possession football by people who technically aren't up to it and would be better getting stuck in.

When I think back to Portugal-England games I was always far more scared of Shearer or Rooney (or Sol at corners) battering defenders for 90 minutes.

This 15 year obsession with foreign influences means England are now far more likely to build patiently outside the box than crosses in to bruisers in it.

The whole no-nonsense kick-up-the-arse view of Allardyce is a bit of a cliche, but it seems to me he'll be perfect at playing aggressive English football.

As has been said a million times by any halfway literate journalist this summer, after years of expressive football, Portugal won a tournament being ugly.

I sincerely hope Allardyce does not modify his wholly English experiences to fit in with international football. I don't think he will. I think he'll revel in ugly.

*My theory, by the way, with the disastrous foreign obsession, is all down to one man - Kevin Keegan. He was a **** manager full stop as since proved.

But England, and the FA, became convinced he represented the failures of English tactics. Not just that he was **** in an era of few world class players.

I cannot believe the soul searching that led England down this path of trying to adapt your game to fit in with opponents or somehow mimic foreigners.

Even when you think about the highlights under Sven, it is the flashes of authentically English football - Beckham crosses, target men - that stand out.

Every single one of the managers since has given England little or no identity, and tried to adapt England into foreign football, not the other way round.

The great thing now is there's a lot of talented top class players coming through. They don't need to play other peoples games, they can stamp yours.

9 hours ago, Olé said:

While I like to see England do well, I'm hopefully more of an impartial view on this appointment since Portugal is my team (did I mention that ever? ;) ).

We were discussing Sam Allardyce during the tournament (with City/England mates) and I will say now what I said then about him as England manager. 

I reckon he will do a fantastically good job and is exactly what England need. I've always been surprised by the obsession with becoming more foreign*.

It's been a succession of foreign coaches (Sven, Capello) or foreign-influenced coaches (Schteeve, Woy) trying to change England's footballing identity.

To my mind England's best success in the modern era has been under English bosses playing authentically English football: Sir Bobby Robson or El Tel.

Robson had yet to go overseas at the time (picked the wrong clubs in Portugal mind) while Venables even at Barcelona played resolutely English 4-4-2.

Nowadays I always find England at tournaments a pale imitation of what England should be. Gutless, low tempo, showing opponents too much respect.

It feels like an attempt to play suffocating, continental possession football by people who technically aren't up to it and would be better getting stuck in.

When I think back to Portugal-England games I was always far more scared of Shearer or Rooney (or Sol at corners) battering defenders for 90 minutes.

This 15 year obsession with foreign influences means England are now far more likely to build patiently outside the box than crosses in to bruisers in it.

The whole no-nonsense kick-up-the-arse view of Allardyce is a bit of a cliche, but it seems to me he'll be perfect at playing aggressive English football.

As has been said a million times by any halfway literate journalist this summer, after years of expressive football, Portugal won a tournament being ugly.

I sincerely hope Allardyce does not modify his wholly English experiences to fit in with international football. I don't think he will. I think he'll revel in ugly.

*My theory, by the way, with the disastrous foreign obsession, is all down to one man - Kevin Keegan. He was a **** manager full stop as since proved.

But England, and the FA, became convinced he represented the failures of English tactics. Not just that he was **** in an era of few world class players.

I cannot believe the soul searching that led England down this path of trying to adapt your game to fit in with opponents or somehow mimic foreigners.

Even when you think about the highlights under Sven, it is the flashes of authentically English football - Beckham crosses, target men - that stand out.

Every single one of the managers since has given England little or no identity, and tried to adapt England into foreign football, not the other way round.

The great thing now is there's a lot of talented top class players coming through. They don't need to play other peoples games, they can stamp yours.

I agree, England only semi-final since 1966 came playing that good old, English, 3-5-2 at Italia 90.  We need to get back to what we know best.

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Decent interviews today for the big man, love the fact that he wore a suit minus the tie.  Really looking forward to seeing who he'll select for his first squad.

Here's a clue:

GK: Kevin Nolan

Def: Nolan, K; Kevin Nolan; Nolan, Kevin; K Nolan

Mid: K Nolan x 4

ST: Nolan, K and K Nolan

On 22 July 2016 at 16:55, Robbored said:

If he'd been brought up properly he wouldn't chew gum.....

Ridiculous statement, recent article in the Telegraph gave evidence as to how chewing gum improves brain function and apparently there are other benefits including improved memory:

http://www.chewinggumfacts.com/chewing-gum-benefits/health-benefits-of-gum-chewing/

3 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

His first mistake is the assumption that the PL is the best League in the world.... nope not even third at the moment. 

Don't really agree with that, I reckon more of our teams are capable of winning the league in our country than those in Spain, Germany and Italy...

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Don't really agree with that, I reckon more of our teams are capable of winning the league in our country than those in Spain, Germany and Italy...

Yes, OK but how well do those teams who do win it do against those same teams from Spain, Germany or Italy?  I agree 60% of the Spanish La Liga is week but it does not mean Barcelona are weak, maybe a little fresher and honed from smashing the little teams 8-0, 6-0 every other week.

20 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Seems strange. Apparently the England Training camp St Georges Park does not even have a England flag flying outside it, it has the Union flag and a few others, but no English St.George - why on earth would that be the case ?

Cobblers, the England flag and The Three lions is incorporated into everything there, next time you see the BBC do an interview take a look, the Hilton has the Three Lions and the England flag outside it. 

8 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Cobblers, the England flag and The Three lions is incorporated into everything there, next time you see the BBC do an interview take a look, the Hilton has the Three Lions and the England flag outside it. 

It was mentioned on the news earlier where they were talking about the appointment.....  watched the video you linked and it did not show any flags that I could see.

11 hours ago, Fiale said:

It was mentioned on the news earlier where they were talking about the appointment.....  watched the video you linked and it did not show any flags that I could see.

They only have flag poles outside the Hilton they are not in the Birmingham video, but if you cant see the England flag and Three Lions incorporated into just about everything in that video you're clearly trying to look for something that isn't a problem.  Olympic athletes are using St Georges at the moment......

23 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

They only have flag poles outside the Hilton they are not in the Birmingham video, but if you cant see the England flag and Three Lions incorporated into just about everything in that video you're clearly trying to look for something that isn't a problem.  Olympic athletes are using St Georges at the moment......

I said they were flying various flags including the Union flag but not the England flag of St.George, you know Englands flag, the country that the national team represents, the country they are based in. You seem to be talking about the centres logo and England badge.

Archived