IGNORED

Is Freeman finished?

NVMal

It's a shame as he was so good in League 1 and one of the players I thought would make the grade at Championship level. Seeing his saved penalty (was a terrible attempt!) at Bath City earlier this week just sums up the last year for him.

So, is he finished or is there hope that he can be the player we all thought he would be when he signed? And should we cash in on him now? I'm sure there would be interest from League 1.

4 minutes ago, NVMal said:

It's a shame as he was so good in League 1 and one of the players I thought would make the grade at Championship level. Seeing his saved penalty (was a terrible attempt!) at Bath City earlier this week just sums up the last year for him.

So, is he finished or is there hope that he can be the player we all thought he would be when he signed? And should we cash in on him now? I'm sure there would be interest from League 1.

Why would we cash in? We need a squad and he's a good back up.

I'm pretty sure if we did make him available, there'd be interest from the Championship.

Hopefully he's given at least until January. We all know he didn't hit the heights expected last season but I still think he has a part to play.

One penalty miss doesn't make a bad pre-season and he'd done okay until then (in pre season)  from what I'd seen and read.

Not yet but maybe in the January window. We've all had our say about him and there is little value in prolonged repetition. He deserves a while longer to see if he can make it in the Championship and while we still have a potentially fragile squad compared with many clubs, it may be sensible to keep him here.

The real question is that if a change or changes in personnel have to occur for injury or disciplinary reasons, will it be more beneficial in the longer term to the club for Dowling, Jonny Smith or Freeman to be the replacement?     

51 minutes ago, NVMal said:

Oh come on. Really. Give the guy a chance. With respect he is too good for league one. Time to stop this Freeman out crap.

Is he finished doing what?

The lad has had a good preseason and hopefully is full of confidence (hope that penalty miss doesn't effect that). I don't expect him to start the season in the team, but he's more than capable of being an asset in the formations we look like we are going to play. 

He had a stop/start beginning of the season and came back into the squad with the team struggling and as it turned out a manager who was treading water. Now he has better and creative players around him and he already showed signs of improvement under LJ. If he's given a chance and not automatically singled out as this seasons scapegoat by some of the fans i think he'l make a decent contribution to the team this term.

No, I would expect LJ to do his utmost to restore Freeman's confidence, not discard him while his stock is comparatively low.

Even last season, when he was visibly far from his best for large parts, Freeman was still picked out by commentators in televised games as one of City's key players.

It's for the manager, and other backroom staff, to get to the root cause of whatever it was that led to a very talented player visibly wilting at times last season.

We know there's a very capable player underneath, and potentially a very valuable one to BCFC both in terms of ability and future transfer value, and it's important we give him every opportunity to find his confidence and form.

Of course he isn't finished, he's got a lot of talent but adapting to the Championship was tougher for him.  That's not surprising for a player who spends a lot of time on the ball and was shouldering most of the creative burden.  Give him a chance to build some confidence up with more intelligent movement around him and I think he will come good.  

Freeman is an interesting one. A lot of away fans highlight him but I can't see why myself personally. A couple of step overs and 1 cracking cross every 5 doesn't cut it for me.

For me he is now our third choice left mid; Bryan and O'Dowda should be ahead of him.

Should he be on the right? No. He takes far too long on his natural left foot, let alone his right. However we have no natural right mids apart from the kiddie from Sheff Utd, so would I play him there above everyone? Yes but due to lack of resources.

He was good in our promotion year but not as good as everyone makes out in my opinion. I wouldn't be upset if he left as long as we replaced him with a natural right mid in all honesty.

1 hour ago, NVMal said:

Give it a rest! Are you for real ? A missed penalty in a pre season friendly and you right him off?? 

He certainly struggled at times last season but I'm sure LJ will do his best to get LF confidence back and try and find him a role in the team. We will need a big squad this year and LF is more than capable of making a impact from the bench and pushing for a starting role. 

Just wish fans would support the players rather than writing them off over a penalty miss and then comparing that to his form from last season???!!! Awful post

6 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Give it a rest! Are you for real ? A missed penalty in a pre season friendly and you right him off?? 

He certainly struggled at times last season but I'm sure LJ will do his best to get LF confidence back and try and find him a role in the team. We will need a big squad this year and LF is more than capable of making a impact from the bench and pushing for a starting role. 

Just wish fans would support the players rather than writing them off over a penalty miss and then comparing that to his form from last season???!!! Awful post

Calm down! He was asking the question, not writing him off. And I don't think he suggested he wouldn't support him.

It was a stupid question waiting for people to get on the let's slag Luke freeman band wagon as I can't slag little or Derek Williams off because I've used all my insults up!! 

Its is boring to see 'fans?' Questioning if a player is a write off in pre season when really what he meant is luke freemans rubbish etc. OP is trying to get other people to say what he thinks as he won't just say it himself. 

3 minutes ago, Spoons said:

It was a stupid question waiting for people to get on the let's slag Luke freeman band wagon as I can't slag little or Derek Williams off because I've used all my insults up!! 

Its is boring to see 'fans?' Questioning if a player is a write off in pre season when really what he meant is luke freemans rubbish etc. OP is trying to get other people to say what he thinks as he won't just say it himself. 

You don't know any of that because you don't know him. And questioning the merits of a player and/or whether they are good enough for a place in the team doesn't make anyone less of a fan. It's a forum for debate.

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You don't know any of that because you don't know him. And questioning the merits of a player and/or whether they are good enough for a place in the team doesn't make anyone less of a fan. It's a forum for debate.

Disagree this isn't debate this is mugging one of your own of Players off and then justifying it by calling it debate? Poor. Any way bed time, now I've had my rant!

4 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Disagree this isn't debate this is mugging one of your own of Players off and then justifying it by calling it debate? Poor. Any way bed time, now I've had my rant!

Mugging off?

He said he was good in League One - true.

He said he thought he would make the grade at Championship level - I think most of us thought the same.

He said he's had a difficult year - I think most of us would agree.

Then he asked whether he could still become the player we thought he would become - a fair question.

I think you've seen the word "finished" and thrown all your toys out of the pram.

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Mugging off?

He said he was good in League One - true.

He said he thought he would make the grade at Championship level - I think most of us thought the same.

He said he's had a difficult year - I think most of us would agree.

Then he asked whether he could still become the player we thought he would become - a fair question.

I think you've seen the word "finished" and thrown all your toys out of the pram.

You know he wasn't asking is freeman finished he was saying freeman is finished and just waiting for everyone to agree with him. 

Im just waiting for people to say he's fat next !  

Too many computer game fans these days. You need more than a first 11. I think he can slot into any of the three positions behind the striker without weakening the team too much. Crucial for a 46 game league campaign that is often Saturday - Tuesday - Saturday - Tuesday . . . 

7 hours ago, Kibs said:

I'm pretty sure if we did make him available, there'd be interest from the Championship.

Hopefully he's given at least until January. We all know he didn't hit the heights expected last season but I still think he has a part to play.

One penalty miss doesn't make a bad pre-season and he'd done okay until then (in pre season)  from what I'd seen and read.

Talk about hounding the poor bloke out he needs a bit of confidence back that's all eighteen months ago we were worried whether he would stay I agree with you give the bloke a break

Archived