IGNORED

Lee's team v Gary's team?

Jack Dawe

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

No, not the game this week. The 07/08 Wembley finalists, or this 16/17 team (assuming Kodjia stays) - which is better? (In theory. It's the summer, we have time to pointlessly dream about our auntie having testicles and being our uncle. It's either that or more fish puns and arguing about S82 and so on). Or, which ones of Lee's might have improved his dad's and maybe got us over the line?

I think Gary might've found room for Tomlin...and a 20 goal striker would've come in handy in 07/08......

We'll have to wait and see, LJ's team definatley more ability but the Championship is a much stronger league than it was back then, can't see us emulating GJ's team and coming in the top four.

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Can we oldies widen the discussion to include the last team to get us into the top division?

Cashley

Sweeney

Drysdale

Merrick

Rodgers

Tainton

Mann

Gow

Whitehead

Ritchie

Cheesley

I am getting shivers down my spine just thinking about that team :) 

Me too.

Now, the 07/08 team was an organised, well drilled team who had a never say die attitude, they almost definitely punched above their weight. We had flare from Noble and Trundle but they were not used as often as they could have been.

This current side is a much better team player by player, no way Johnson Snr would make room on the field for Tomlin, as he preferred a Dele Adebola type supporting Maynard or Byfield.

I would also say the standard of the Championship has improved 9 years on from that incredible season.

20 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

O'Donnell isn't fit to lace Basso's boots.

Orr is a million miles better than Ayling and Little. Carey and Flint would probably be my partnership at the back with Golbourne at left back.

Not doubting Orr with Little/Ayling, but think Matthews looks more assured and technically talented, who I was using as the comparison. Also agree that Basso would start, but I don't think O'Donnell is a bad keeper at all. I'd say ROD is safer, though less likely to make a world-class save.

I'm genuinely not sure there's much in it. Remember, you have to judge the players by how they were playing during that season - not what they may have become a couple of years later.

Marvin Elliott, for example, was every bit as influential in that team as Korey Smith has ever been in the current one. That's no slight on Smith - I appreciate Elliott was close to useless by the time he left us and couldn't trap a bag of cement - but during that single campaign he was one of the best performers in the league. The same goes for Bradley Orr, Jamie McCombe... Even Michael McIndoe, who was a really solid performer and one of our best players during that season.

It's funny how history changes your perspective on things, how different players get better or worse in people's memories over time. And, sure, we may well have capitalised on a weaker Championship season and some incredible team spirit in our first year back with Gary Johnson... But don't be fooled into thinking we didn't have a good side. We finished fourth!

The team Lee Johnson looks to have done a superb job assembling, while extremely exciting, has a fair bit to prove yet.

21 hours ago, mozo said:

How did Gary Johnson turn Elliott and Fontaine into near Premiership players for a brief time?!

Did we ever find out what caused Fonts to lose his confidence so dramatically?

That's conference managers for you!

I've got a lot of time for 07/08 City team - my first year as a season ticket holder, combined with travelling to more away games than I ever had previously, creates one heck of an affinity for a group of players.

I'd probably only add JK, Flint, and Tomlin to the 07/08 team.

22 hours ago, Kotsy said:

Basso
Orr
Carey
Fontaine
McAllister
Noble
Elliot
Carle
McIndoe
Adebola
Trundle

vs

ROD
Matthews
Flint
Magnusson
Golbourne
O'Dowda
O'Neil
Smith (K)
Bryan
Tomlin
Kodjia

Think the current team wins it by a country mile.

But we haven't seen that current team ever play together in a meaningful fixture yet, so how can you make a judgement?

23 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Can we oldies widen the discussion to include the last team to get us into the top division?

Cashley

Sweeney

Drysdale

Merrick

Rodgers

Tainton

Mann

Gow

Whitehead

Ritchie

Cheesley

I am getting shivers down my spine just thinking about that team :) 

Any chance a certain Gary Collier might have got a game in that team?

the Noble tomlin comparisons is so true. Very similar, Tomlin is better but as we didn't really see enough of trundle I'd say Noble was last 'flair' player we had before Tomlins arrival.

Selhurst Park, 10th May 2008 92 Mins on the clock... NOBLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE - absolute scenes

The 3 best city goals of the last 10 years, maybe ever that relied on shear genius and technique..

1, Noble at Selhurst

2, Tomlin vs Huddesfield

3, Trundles first vs scunny 07

30 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Any chance a certain Gary Collier might have got a game in that team?

You know, as I was writing David Rodgers in there I was thinking, I am sure he wasn't a regular starter... Collier it was indeed. I have a feeling that John Emmanuel played quite a few games that season as well? I seem to remember we only used 13 players, it was remarked upon because Liverpool had done the same to win the first division around that time.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

You know, as I was writing David Rodgers in there I was thinking, I am sure he wasn't a regular starter... Collier it was indeed. I have a feeling that John Emmanuel played quite a few games that season as well? I seem to remember we only used 13 players, it was remarked upon because Liverpool had done the same to win the first division around that time.

If I recall correctly,and it was a long time ago :shifty:, John Emmanuel (and his fellow loan signing at the time, whose name I forget - two of them arrived at the same time, one from Coventry{not Ernie Hunt}) were instrumental, along with Peter Cormack, in saving us from relegation.  

4 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

the Noble tomlin comparisons is so true. Very similar, Tomlin is better but as we didn't really see enough of trundle I'd say Noble was last 'flair' player we had before Tomlins arrival.

Selhurst Park, 10th May 2008 92 Mins on the clock... NOBLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE - absolute scenes

The 3 best city goals of the last 10 years, maybe ever that relied on shear genius and technique..

1, Noble at Selhurst

2, Tomlin vs Huddesfield

3, Trundles first vs scunny 07

Think Maynard vs. QPR has to be in that list somewhere, despite his reputation 

Archived