IGNORED

Lansdown on City

XtraTime

" “The last time we were in the Championship we were hanging on by our fingernails, spending money in ways that didn’t work and on certain players that didn’t benefit us". Read Stephen Lansdown on City past, present and future in XtraTime http://www.xtratimewest.co.uk/football-other-sports-rugby/bristol-sport-steve-lansdown-explains-his-vision-revamped-ashton-gate

Copies of the summer issue of XtraTime can be picked up for free at the South entrance after tomorrows match.

“Yet I have no regrets with any of it and I still want to push it on. My focus in the future has to be about succession, so that the sports can sustain themselves. It’s a hell of a challenge and I am sure we will trip up on the way but I am confident we have the right focus.”

Music to my ears! Can't believe how fortunate we are to have the stadium platform that we now have. Really pleased that we are still at Ashton Gate, huge credit to Steve Lansdown for redeveloping the stadium after investing so much time and money into Ashton Vale.  The future does feel reasonably secure, very few Championship teams' supporters would say that about their clubs.

I've never understood the criticism of the man. He has made mistakes, and I guarantee in his position all of us would have thrown money at City and bollixed it up even worse than him. Every decision, every mistake and all the money  wasted (and lets not forget it's his money to waste) has been done with the right intention and with the good of the club at heart. As has been said above we are lucky to have him at the club, these are exciting times.

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I've never understood the criticism of the man. He has made mistakes, and I guarantee in his position all of us would have thrown money at City and bollixed it up even worse than him. Every decision, every mistake and all the money  wasted (and lets not forget it's his money to waste) has been done with the right intention and with the good of the club at heart. As has been said above we are lucky to have him at the club, these are exciting times.

Couldn't agree more. 

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

This is one of the things I think I like most. He has made mistakes. We all do and he accepts his and has tried to learn from them. Like you said all done with good intentions which makes it easier to forgive.

15 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Spot on, mate.

22 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

You are so right 1960.

With all the mistakes and disappointments he ( and we) have suffered and the criticism he has endured from fans over the last few years in particular, the easiest thing in the world would have been for Steve to have said " Sod it. Why do I need all this aggravation" and then sell up and enjoy a comfortable and stress free retirement in Guernsey.

I think it says a lot about the man that he refuses to be beaten or give up - the phoenix of the new Ashton Gate has risen from the apparent failure of Ashton Vale, and how good a consolation prize is that? Even though he has plenty of money that he can afford to "lose", he seems determined to make things work by the club becoming financially self supporting and doing things the right way and has obviously learned from previous mistakes but getting us into the best shape the club has been for years.

Ultimately the main thing to me is that he wants to give all of us a club to be proud of and a legacy for the long term. 

Young Jon has very big shoes to fill  and a lot to live up to when he eventually takes over from Dad.

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Very good read . But I hope he never lets rovers get involved. Don't think that would go down well . Not for me anyway 

He might be thinking they would be useful for developing our younger players via loans etc., could be some mileage in it. If this was to work he would have to ensure they stayed in the lower leagues (not difficult!).

Interesting interview. Thanks for the link.

Personally I've always been amazed at how little criticism the Lansdowns have faced over the years! Steve has been running a football club through thick and thin for well over a decade, a decade which has seen some extravagant promises and some bitter disappointment. By the standards of football he's got off very lightly!

It's finally all coming together and I'm delighted for the club, and for Steve, who has, in the end, proved as good as his word.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

100% agree.  I regularly heard last season from a guy next to me in the Dolman, sarcastic shouts aimed at SL for apparently refusing to bankroll the players we should have had and instead putting all his money into the stadium just to satisfy his ego.  He was not alone in this blinkered and misguided view and in infuriates me how people fail to see what he has done and will still continue to do for the Club.   His heart is for the club and maybe that is why it has sometimes ruled his head.  But for me that is that is the most important thing, he's not here to use the club as a play thing he's here as one of us - a true and wholly committed Bristol City supporter. 

11 hours ago, XtraTime said:

" “The last time we were in the Championship we were hanging on by our fingernails, spending money in ways that didn’t work and on certain players that didn’t benefit us". Read Stephen Lansdown on City past, present and future in XtraTime http://www.xtratimewest.co.uk/football-other-sports-rugby/bristol-sport-steve-lansdown-explains-his-vision-revamped-ashton-gate

Copies of the summer issue of XtraTime can be picked up for free at the South entrance after tomorrows match.

A good read. Top man.

21 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Wonder which local league team Steve played for? 

I once had a brief chat with him at a friend's party about that. It was a long time ago, but he played for either Alveston or Olveston, in South Glos. (I'm afraid I always get those two villages mixed up.) He and I are about the same age and I remember us saying we might unknowingly have played against each other in the distant past. Forget which league we were in at that time - District, maybe?   

2 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

I once had a brief chat with him at a friend's party about that. It was a long time ago, but he played for either Alveston or Olveston, in South Glos. (I'm afraid I always get those two villages mixed up.) He and I are about the same age and I remember us saying we might unknowingly have played against each other in the distant past. Forget which league we were in at that time - District, maybe?   

When I was a child I used to live in Alveston and get the 2 confused, bizarre having villages 2 miles apart that are the same bar one letter and pronounced almost the same.

Mind you David Moyes used to coach in Alveston when he played for City and was doing his badges.

36 minutes ago, City169 said:

When I was a child I used to live in Alveston and get the 2 confused, bizarre having villages 2 miles apart that are the same bar one letter and pronounced almost the same.

Mind you David Moyes used to coach in Alveston when he played for City and was doing his badges.

A big hit for Glenn Campbell

Alveston, oh, Alveston
I still hear your seawinds blowing
I still see her dark eyes glowing
She was twenty one, when I left Alveston

:)

5 hours ago, Red Exile said:

Interesting interview. Thanks for the link.

Personally I've always been amazed at how little criticism the Lansdowns have faced over the years! Steve has been running a football club through thick and thin for well over a decade, a decade which has seen some extravagant promises and some bitter disappointment. By the standards of football he's got off very lightly!

It's finally all coming together and I'm delighted for the club, and for Steve, who has, in the end, proved as good as his word.

I think that does us credit TBF. I believe we`ve always known that Steve has the club`s best interests at heart and have readily been prepared to forgive him his errors of judgement as those decisions have been made with the best of intentions. We have always known he`s not an asset stripper or just in it for the kudos of owning a football club. There will always be a few `Sort it out Lansdown` types but I think they are a minority.

I am just so glad for him (and us) that it is all finally coming together and he will be able to leave a terrific legacy for the club and South Bristol generally.

If I had the money that Steve Lansdown has spent on Bristol City, I would have made much bigger mistakes.

Everyone should count themselves lucky I'm not the multi-millionaire owner.  My poor decision making would have really made the headlines.

Genuinely, you don't know how lucky you all are :yes:

7 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

You Sir win post of the day. Spot on, we are extremely lucky to have him and long may it continue.

Archived