IGNORED

West Stand capacity -Villa and Newcastle

Marlborough Red

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

So you would ask the Contractor to pay a penalty for completing the project early ?  That's a new one

Sorry Tone, I thought the inverted commas would highlight the 'double entendre'.  (Or it may have just been a rubbish joke).

Either way I'm 'easy'. ;)

2 hours ago, B1ackbird said:

I'm not sitting with them, they call Wigan, Wigin, eat potato pies and love Wigan rugby League..

Also nicked Jos....

Nor me, I've paid for a seat in the new stand.

I think all this is a storm in a tea cup. There will have been several meetings so far with the safety advice group, covering everything apart from the access areas into and out of the stand. The seats are in, the rails are in, the gangways are in. So it's a question of whether the safety systems are working and the tarmac is dry enough to walk on without getting stuck during an emergency exit.

As for penalties for late completion, someone will no doubt correct me but, I believe I read on the main contractors site that this contract was valued at £39m, the overall cost is I believe £45m. So as with the south stand, the internals are being carried out by others and the main contractor would appear to be finished, it's now down to the other contractors to do the internal works just as was done with the south stand.

9 hours ago, RumRed said:

Sorry Tone, I thought the inverted commas would highlight the 'double entendre'.  (Or it may have just been a rubbish joke).

Either way I'm 'easy'. ;)

Apologies, I misunderstood.  And if you don't mind rubbish jokes are my domain !

So we now have a reduced capacity for the Wigan game in the lower deck and zero in the upper deck. Same as last year with a "sell out" with thousands of  empty seats around the ground.

Given we still need a safety certificate  for the upper deck  and none of the facilities in the West stand seem to open, I refer back to my original post. What capacity will be available in the upper deck for the Villa and Newcastle games >These are the two games this season where we could confidently have expected to fill the whole ground. Will there be POTD for these games or ticket only?

Hopefully all work finished and safety certificate granted so the West Stand can be packed to the rafters for the Newcastle game at least.

On 1 August 2016 at 23:01, Rich said:

I think all this is a storm in a tea cup. There will have been several meetings so far with the safety advice group, covering everything apart from the access areas into and out of the stand. The seats are in, the rails are in, the gangways are in. So it's a question of whether the safety systems are working and the tarmac is dry enough to walk on without getting stuck during an emergency exit.

As for penalties for late completion, someone will no doubt correct me but, I believe I read on the main contractors site that this contract was valued at £39m, the overall cost is I believe £45m. So as with the south stand, the internals are being carried out by others and the main contractor would appear to be finished, it's now down to the other contractors to do the internal works just as was done with the south stand.

Perhaps they should lay down sticky tarmac on the Dolman steps/gangways.

That would halt the early leavers in their tracks!

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Perhaps they should lay down sticky tarmac on the Dolman steps/gangways.

That would halt the early leavers in their tracks!

The one thing that is extremely annoying about the forum is groups of fans complaining about other groups of fans, just because they do something different. 

6 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The one thing that is extremely annoying about the forum is groups of fans complaining about other groups of fans, just because they do something different. 

Even more annoying is the suggestion that 'early leavers' only happens in the Dolman

On 31 July 2016 at 20:50, Marlborough Red said:

I had a  large extension to my home ,75 K and created my own contract with the builders which had a completion date with a bonus for early completion and a penalty for late completion. Needless to say it was completed ahead of time. Surely  not beyond Bristol Sport to set up such a contract.

How do you know they didn't say get it finished before first home game for a bonus, finish after September you get a penalty etc

47 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Even more annoying is the suggestion that 'early leavers' only happens in the Dolman

It's considerably more prevalent in the Dolman than any other stand. Seems like a hangover/force of habit from when there were only two exits. 

Though unless they've improved access out of the south stand it'll only get worse there too. The bottlenecks at full time are ridiculous in a brand new stand designed from the ground up. The Atyeo is empty ten mins before the people at the back of the south stand can get out. 

43 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It's considerably more prevalent in the Dolman than any other stand. Seems like a hangover/force of habit from when there were only two exits. 

Though unless they've improved access out of the south stand it'll only get worse there too. The bottlenecks at full time are ridiculous in a brand new stand designed from the ground up. The Atyeo is empty ten mins before the people at the back of the south stand can get out. 

What do you suggest they do re: South Stand?  There are as many vomitories as you would expect to see in a stand of that size - no fewer than an equivalent stand at other stadiums - and multiple large exits out the back of the concourse.  What more can they do?  There comes a point where you have to accept that when 1000s of people gather together in one place and then all want to leave at the same time, a certain amount of queuing and bottlenecking is inevitable and unavoidable.

18 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

What do you suggest they do re: South Stand?  There are as many vomitories as you would expect to see in a stand of that size - no fewer than an equivalent stand at other stadiums - and multiple large exits out the back of the concourse.  What more can they do?  There comes a point where you have to accept that when 1000s of people gather together in one place and then all want to leave at the same time, a certain amount of queuing and bottlenecking is inevitable and unavoidable.

It's never taken me ten minutes to leave a modern football stand until I moved from the Atyeo to the SS. Ten minutes stood on the stairs to vacate a brand new modern stand is poor, not sure what the cause and solution is but it seems to take a disproportionate amount of time to get out compared with similar facilities at other stadiums. 

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It's never taken me ten minutes to leave a modern football stand until I moved from the Atyeo to the SS. Ten minutes stood on the stairs to vacate a brand new modern stand is poor, not sure what the cause and solution is but it seems to take a disproportionate amount of time to get out compared with similar facilities at other stadiums. 

Personally I don't consider 10 minutes to be particularly bad.  If there is a difference compared with other stadiums, I suspect it is due to people in the Dolman heading towards the South Stand exits, so those exits are dealing with a disproportionately large number of people and not just those from the South Stand itself.  Again this is a limitation of the stadium footprint - they can't add any more exits to the Dolman - so this is not a fault of the club or the stadium, and is just something we have to accept.

55 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

So, anyone seen any clues regarding a date for Newcastle tickets being released?

Presumably we know now that the lower tier will definitely be open, so there is nothing to stop them starting to sell the lower bowl?  Only 16 days to go until the game.

After the sag review at the Wigan game

5 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Not complaining Pongo. More a light hearted comment based on the "reputation" that Dolmanites have acquired over the years

5 hours ago, RedRaw said:

Does everyone take every post so seriously?

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

After the sag review at the Wigan game

That should be an easy enough review.

Chairman: They are a shite bunch of cloggers that play in a shoebox and have a tent for a main stand. Any objections? *

*silence*

Chairman: Perfect. Newcastle tickets go on sale first thing monday morning.

7 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The biggest problem with exiting the SS is that the people in the bottom rows have to come back up to an exit to then go back down to the concourse and this is what causes the bottleneck. This could be solved by a walkway along the front of the stand with exits at each end under the SS/Dolman and SS/West Stand corners although I have no idea what is in those locations at present and whether it would be feasible.

23 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

The biggest problem with exiting the SS is that the people in the bottom rows have to come back up to an exit to then go back down to the concourse and this is what causes the bottleneck. This could be solved by a walkway along the front of the stand with exits at each end under the SS/Dolman and SS/West Stand corners although I have no idea what is in those locations at present and whether it would be feasible.

I bet the people in the front two rows of the ss will love your idea

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Ah. Hadn`t thought of that. It could end up like it used to in the Dolman!

Just being selfish really since I`m right at the back but it does seem daft to have to come up to go back down.

Agreed, but not the bit about you being selfish.

Me and my sons are in the Dolman B block and every now and again you have to leave before the end just because you get cheesed off, but not after Leeds at home when we got fed up after 85 mins!

The rest as they say is history

13 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Ah. Hadn`t thought of that. It could end up like it used to in the Dolman!

Just being selfish really since I`m right at the back but it does seem daft to have to come up to go back down.

I sit about half way down the SS and it takes me a similar amount of time to get out which is  annoying,  one few faults of The SS. I used to sit in the ateyo front row of the top tier ppl leaving early never bothered me but I suppose would be a lot worse at the bottom. 

8 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It took me longer to get out of the new Wembley

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Whether you have to go back up a bit or not is not particularly a factor in my opinion. If the exit was right at the bottom, that would just mean the people at the very top would have to go down a bit further and the net improvement would be zero. Having vomitories midway up the stand is hardly a unique feature so doesn't explain why the South Stand would be slower to exit than a similar stand in another stadium.

As I said further up, I think the main reason is the relative lack of exits from the Dolman, which has a knock-on effect on those exiting the SS because the concourse exits are shared, slowing exit from the concourse and causing queues to back up.

Archived