IGNORED

Guardian piece

Ivorguy

4 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Is it not truly fair to say everyone a BCFC has done/is doing their bit?

From the signing of Tomlin to the transfer dealings with Juventus and Bayern. A stadium which would not look out of place in the Premiership with an owner who just keeps investing and following his own dream which as far as most of us can see isn't about profit or ego. And certainly not because he wants a market in China.

We need to do our bit too which is to be the twelfth man, to support the team and Manager even when we have the inevitable sticky patch.

And for those who feel the 'need to boo' or only see what's going wrong not what's going right then why not just stay at home and save your money for something you actually like?

Mission accomplished already if you're talking about the Rugby. It would look rather splendid hosting Premier League football as well. 

5 hours ago, Chivs said:

Well, I'm new to this emotional intelligence but something tells me that a rocket up the proverbial is what some of our footballers need.  Not just the cuddly, cutesy approach above.  I guess the emotional athlete will recognise when and where for each approach.  I liked Johnson's account where he was desperate to contact Zak Vyner's parents before Zak got his debut at MK Dons.  That's the sort of emotional intelligence that really breeds loyalty.

Personally, I'm a stiff upper lip, it's just a flesh wound, go for a 5 mile cross country run, sort of emotional chap.

I listened to an interview with Terry Butcher on Saturday where he basically said you`re not allowed to shout at players any more. it was in the context of England at the Euros and he was basically saying that our under performing players had never had anyone tell them in no uncertain terms what they were doing wrong.

He should have a chat with Dave Brailsford of Sky Cycling about all the small incremental improvements they do and the level of detail they go into in just living their lives to stay in peak condition.

For instance if they are travelling with a non-cycling person, that person picks the luggage off the bag carousel to avoid back strains.  I have implemented this with Mrs Peacock.

19 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I listened to an interview with Terry Butcher on Saturday where he basically said you`re not allowed to shout at players any more. it was in the context of England at the Euros and he was basically saying that our under performing players had never had anyone tell them in no uncertain terms what they were doing wrong.

Terry Butcher was an excellent player, but nothing of note as a manager. I wonder why? If only a good bollocking was all that stood between this England team and success at the Euros. I'm sure we could rustle up a spittle flecked, foul mouthed "gaffer" with the requisite passion to rival any of Europe's finest....

One thing I've learnt is LJ does use some very odd and obscure phraseology.

The very last quote stood out for me: 'Will we achieve the promised land? Who knows, but we'll certainly die in a ditch for that honour.'

Not a phrase I'm familiar with, in fact a quick search on google seems to credit it to Nick Clegg in 2013, and it seems nobody had a clue what he meant either.

Yes, OK, I get the gist  (just about) that he'd give everything, even give up everything and apparently happily become a hopeless tramp to get City into the PL, but it seems to me it's no more than a silly American - probably - phrase he's memorised from some training course, motivational speaking instruction, or whatever - perhaps, strangely, even from his short time spent with the SAS.

It's basically a load of rubbish.

Either way, I'm hoping such gibberish is a one off and he'll be keeping to plain English when publicising himself (and particularly BCFC) to the media in future.

If it's the sort of phrase he blurts out earnestly to motivate the players in the dressing room - i.e. 'Boys, think of it this way, you should all be willing to die in a ditch to beat Wigan' - I'm afraid if I was a 23 year old City player I'd be desperately trying to stop giggling in the corner at the absurdity of it, rather than being impressed or motivated.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The very last quote stood out for me: 'Will we achieve the promised land? Who knows, but we'll certainly die in a ditch for that honour.'

Not a phrase I'm familiar with, in fact a quick search on google seems to credit it to Nick Clegg in 2013, and it seems nobody had a clue what he meant either.

Yes, OK, I get the gist  (just about) that he'd give everything, even give up everything and apparently happily become a hopeless tramp to get City into the PL, but it seems to me it's no more than a silly American - probably - phrase he's memorised from some training course, motivational speaking instruction, or whatever - perhaps, strangely, even from his short time spent with the SAS.

Either way, I'm hoping such gibberish is a one off and he'll be keeping to plain English when publicising himself (and particularly BCFC) to the media in future.

If it's the sort of phrase he blurts out earnestly to motivate the players in the dressing room - i.e. 'Boys, think of it this way, you should all be willing to die in a ditch to beat Wigan' - I'm afraid if I was a 23 year old City player I'd be desperately trying to stop giggling in the corner at the absurdity of it, rather than being impressed or motivated.

If this is your biggest complaint about LJ so far then he must be doing an awful lot right, Noggers. What a strange thing to pick up on.

I've used the phrase in work fairly recently actually during a negotiation ie we will agree to A, B and C but we're not going to die in a ditch to secure D. I've had the phrase used in meetings previously which is probably where I picked up on it.

OK,  maybe unusual to use it when trying to explain something positive but still hardly worth shitting a brick over.

One thing is for sure, LJ is a very impressive speaker and particularly engaging and honest for a football manager. Thankfully we no longer have to listen to the breeze spoken by his predecessor.

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If I were one it would completely pass me by and I'd stay listening to the rest of his message personally, but each to their own.

19 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Or perhaps, in 2016, i.e. 100 years after the battles of the Somme in the 'Great War', he was referring casually, even insouciantly, to the forsaken soldiers who gave up their lives lying in a sodden, waterlogged ditch.

21 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I had a quick look in Google and there are a lot citations for William lll having used it during the American War of Indepence.

I would have thought it was fairly clear what it meant.

21 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Did you have the same problem when Lee's dad used to talk about "mother in the goal"?

Lots of people use weird or mangled phrases, football people especially, and it seldom detracts massively from the message.

Archived