IGNORED

Guardian piece

Ivorguy

Great read.  Thanks for posting.  I like everything i hear from Lee especially the emotional intelligence stuff.  He really does have a great affinity with the club and I for one am very pleased he's ours and represent the club so well.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I'm guessing he doesn't eat out much...Jamie Oliver...Michelin star...haha...no chance...no pressure in his kitchens, allegedly lots of it are brought in ready made off site. ;-)

Other than that... great read :-)

Ha - that was my thought too, Spud!!

Great read though, he keeps impressing, doesn't he? Obviously what happens on the pitch is what ultimately counts, but it sounds like we're a lot more polished behind the scenes nowadays

I'm guessing he doesn't eat out much...Jamie Oliver...Michelin star...haha...no chance...no pressure in his kitchens, allegedly lots of it are brought in ready made off site. ;-)

24 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Great read though, he keeps impressing, doesn't he? Obviously what happens on the pitch is what ultimately counts, but it sounds like we're a lot more polished behind the scenes nowadays

Wonder if Pete at Casamia would have him in? He's not :gasmask: is he?

26 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Indeed mate...hopefully it's transferred onto the pitch. I really do hope fans give the guy a chance...he's new school, something we've been needing for years.

Respected throughout football...even though he's been in management a short time.

I realise managers are judged on results...I just hope we give him time.

4 minutes ago, RedSA said:

Wonder if Pete at Casamia would have him in? He's not :gasmask: is he?

I came away from there starving...looked pretty and tasted great...and I realise you pay for techniques and quality and the 'experience'...however...I was starving afterwards :laugh:

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

Indeed mate...hopefully it's transferred onto the pitch. I really do hope fans give the guy a chance...he's new school, something we've been needing for years.

Respected throughout football...even though he's been in management a short time.

I came away from there starving...looked pretty and tasted great...and I realise you pay for techniques and quality and the 'experience'...however...I was starving afterwards :laugh:

Maybe we could get Tomlin eating there? 

Jamie Oliver .... Michelin Star - two phrases never to be used together.... like "Rovers" and "Top flight football".

Not too keen on emotional intelligence, either. I'd settle for a bit of Rooneyesque footballing intelligence out on the pitch. But LJ is doing his PR stuff well - beats interviews with Stockhausen in the Evening Post.

(Though according to the Grauniad, there's only one Karlheinz Stockhausen......)

28 minutes ago, spudski said:

Agree 100% Spud. There is something about the bloke, and he and Ashton seem to have hit it off, which is massive. SL seems to be backing them both, give them 3 years minimum....dare we dream?

Is it not truly fair to say everyone a BCFC has done/is doing their bit?

From the signing of Tomlin to the transfer dealings with Juventus and Bayern. A stadium which would not look out of place in the Premiership with an owner who just keeps investing and following his own dream which as far as most of us can see isn't about profit or ego. And certainly not because he wants a market in China.

We need to do our bit too which is to be the twelfth man, to support the team and Manager even when we have the inevitable sticky patch.

And for those who feel the 'need to boo' or only see what's going wrong not what's going right then why not just stay at home and save your money for something you actually like?

Meant to read this yesterday and totally forgot. Excellent read. Lee is an impressive, assured and erudite man. And a little precocious for someone so new into management. I mean that in a good way. 

How he handles the egos will be interesting. I imagine Tomlin will be a bit of a handful when things aren't going right. Get him off Twitter! 

All very encouraging stuff. 

7 minutes ago, MetzRed said:

In fairness to stockhausen though, I think he had already covered pretty much all of it. Nothing new to see here. In fact, the headline was almost lifted straight from one of his pieces!

Nothing in the Post ever comes close to this. 

43 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

We need to do our bit too which is to be the twelfth man, to support the team and Manager even when we have the inevitable sticky patch.

And for those who feel the 'need to boo' or only see what's going wrong not what's going right then why not just stay at home and save your money for something you actually like?

Very true. I have a dual ST and have said roughly the same on the Bristol Rugby forum.

Both clubs will need all the fans to be behind them for all of the time. Bris as they will be fighting to stay up in their Premiership and City to become an established Championship side that is looking up at the top rather than casting anxious glances below to those involved in the relegation scrap.

It looks like it's going to be an exciting next nine months so stifle the moans, stop screaming abuse at our own and start clapping, shouting and singing support for whichever of the two teams you are watching.

2 hours ago, SecretSam said:

I work in healthcare consulting and it's interesting to see his perspective on how the NHS can help football learn lessons.  Seems a smart boy.

I'm a regular patient with the NHS and if he relies on the way the NHS is managed we are all doomed.

[Note: Although, I've never been awake in an operating theatre where I guess the high pressure stuff happens]

Edit: Meant to say it is a good read.  I don't know what "emotional intelligence" is but that might be a reflection of my emotional intelligence.

2 hours ago, MetzRed said:

In fairness to stockhausen though, I think he had already covered pretty much all of it. Nothing new to see here. In fact, the headline was almost lifted straight from one of his pieces!

Well point out Andy,

To be fair to cockhausen through the tripe and bile he writes you do get the odd good article 

41 minutes ago, Chivs said:

I'm a regular patient with the NHS and if he relies on the way the NHS is managed we are all doomed.

[Note: Although, I've never been awake in an operating theatre where I guess the high pressure stuff happens]

Edit: Meant to say it is a good read.  I don't know what "emotional intelligence" is but that might be a reflection of my emotional intelligence.

Could be, Chivs! Emotional intelligence is what women are good at (broadly speaking) and men are not. It's having an awareness of your own, and others, thoughts and feelings, and how this impacts on behaviour. 

Emotional intelligence, in this instance, refers to how the coach (LJ) treats the players, how he communicates with them (ie no hairdryer, no humiliation, no cold-shouldering dropped or injured players, no treating them like adolesent boys) and how he, the boss, thinks about what the player is experiencing (fear, pressure, injuries, loss of confidence, stick from crowd etc) and then tailors his "man-management" to produce the desired result for player and team. Instead of barking orders and being a sargeant major type, as in the old days. 

It's a 21st century approach, replacing the 19th century one that lasted at least until Gazza's Tears 1990, that will be too touchy-feely for many on here but mirrors what is increasingly commonplace in the wider workplace nowadays (although not everywhere of course. Ask Fordy!)

Think Eddie Howe, replacing the explosive style of say, Lee's dad that came unstuck at Plymouth. 

10 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Could be, Chivs! Emotional intelligence is what women are good at (broadly speaking) and men are not. It's having an awareness of your own, and others, thoughts and feelings, and how this impacts on behaviour. 

Emotional intelligence, in this instance, refers to how the coach (LJ) treats the players, how he communicates with them (ie no hairdryer, no humiliation, no cold-shouldering dropped or injured players, no treating them like adolesent boys) and how he, the boss, thinks about what the player is experiencing (fear, pressure, injuries, loss of confidence, stick from crowd etc) and then tailors his "man-management" to produce the desired result for player and team. Instead of barking orders and being a sargeant major type, as in the old days. 

It's a 21st century approach, replacing the 19th century one that lasted at least until Gazza's Tears 1990, that will be too touchy-feely for many on here but mirrors what is increasingly commonplace in the wider workplace nowadays (although not everywhere of course. Ask Fordy!)

Think Eddie Howe, replacing the explosive style of say, Lee's dad that came unstuck at Plymouth. 

It's a useful arrow in the managerial quiver but the Fergie approach is also quite effective at times. Worked wonders for him - and I imagine Moysie had more of the Emotional Intelligence approach. As someone has already pointed out, our newly re-recruited maverick may prove quite a challenging handful for LJ.

25 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Well, I'm new to this emotional intelligence but something tells me that a rocket up the proverbial is what some of our footballers need.  Not just the cuddly, cutesy approach above.  I guess the emotional athlete will recognise when and where for each approach.  I liked Johnson's account where he was desperate to contact Zak Vyner's parents before Zak got his debut at MK Dons.  That's the sort of emotional intelligence that really breeds loyalty.

Personally, I'm a stiff upper lip, it's just a flesh wound, go for a 5 mile cross country run, sort of emotional chap.

4 minutes ago, Chivs said:

Well, I'm new to this emotional intelligence but something tells me that a rocket up the proverbial is what some of our footballers need.  Not just the cuddly, cutesy approach above.  I guess the emotional athlete will recognise when and where for each approach.  I liked Johnson's account where he was desperate to contact Zak Vyner's parents before Zak got his debut at MK Dons.  That's the sort of emotional intelligence that really breeds loyalty.

Personally, I'm a stiff upper lip, it's just a flesh wound, go for a 5 mile cross country run, sort of emotional chap.

The Zak Vyner example is a good one but it's exactly the sort of thing Fergie would've done. He was an expert in EQ - or basic human psychology, what makes people tick - long before the term was dreamed up.  Fergie saved his "the rocket up the ..." harshest psychological interventions for referees and opposing managers (think Keegan, Rafa) mostly. The fabled "hairdryer" is not the "Fergie Approach, " far from it. The Fergie Approach constantly evolved, adapted, and the one in 2013 was rather different to the one in 1983.

Archived