IGNORED

Lee's summer signings interview

Fiale

I was distracted by some other football this summer so I missed the detail behind some of the signings, that I've just heard LJ quote now:

• How much was O'Dowda if we paid a lot of money for him? (BTW, Sky Sports showed a caption tonight we're the 4th biggest spenders @ £7m)
  • Is it true Brownhill is only 19 and has won two promotions? I didn't realise he was that young nor that he played significant for Preston previously

Thanks for posting.  Excited again.  I`ve forgotten Saturday now!!

Hope we see O'Dowda on the left rather than right wing.  He's predominantly left-footed and judging by his Oxford highlights seems to have played most games that side.  (Bit concerned he has number 7 shirt though).  Maybe that's why he looked a bit lost on Saturday.

19 minutes ago, Olé said:

I was distracted by some other football this summer so I missed the detail behind some of the signings, that I've just heard LJ quote now:

• How much was O'Dowda if we paid a lot of money for him? (BTW, Sky Sports showed a caption tonight we're the 4th biggest spenders @ £7m)
  • Is it true Brownhill is only 19 and has won two promotions? I didn't realise he was that young nor that he played significant for Preston previously

O'Dowda cost £1.6m

Brownhill was promoted with Preston 14/15 and Barnsley (whilst on loan) 15/16

When you look at the whole collection of signings it's clear we've done light years better than last summer.  In terms of transfer fees we have probably laid out not much more than Cotterill tried to spend on one player, which when coupled with SL's recent interview makes it clear what went wrong last time.  I'd like a couple more - a striker and a left sided player - but there is still room for a couple of season long loans and we've brought in a good mix IMO.  Good start for Ashton and LJ in the market I think.

29 minutes ago, Touch_my_butter said:

O'Dowda cost £1.6m

Brownhill was promoted with Preston 14/15 and Barnsley (whilst on loan) 15/16

Do we know for sure the make-up of the deal?  I know £1.6m was quoted in the media, but I also saw lower plus add-ons.

20 minutes ago, Nibor said:

When you look at the whole collection of signings it's clear we've done light years better than last summer.  In terms of transfer fees we have probably laid out not much more than Cotterill tried to spend on one player, which when coupled with SL's recent interview makes it clear what went wrong last time.  I'd like a couple more - a striker and a left sided player - but there is still room for a couple of season long loans and we've brought in a good mix IMO.  Good start for Ashton and LJ in the market I think.

Agree.on striker but aren't we ok left sided Freeman, O'Dowda, Bryan) and need more right?  Is Brownhill left or right footed?

They all appear to be good signings and LJ seems to know what he needs to become a decent SBC squad. I'm also sure that he knows the squad is still lacking in certain areas namely the left side and up top. That said there are no clues yet that there are anymore signings.

Currently to my knowledge he has only three left sided players and one is a CB so that's a definite area that will need strengthening.

Should Flint or Hodor get suspended/injured the CB cupboard looks bare as well. No doubt that fact is not lost on LJ either.

I've seen a few posts saying we need left sided players. I respect the posters opinions but do we?

Left CB we've got Magnusson/Williams

Left Back Golbourne/Bryan

Left Wing O'dowda/Freeman 

We need CB cover for Flint not Magnusson. 

We need to bring another Striker and another Centre back. 

In all areas in midfield I feel were sorted with sufficient competition for places.

13 minutes ago, Cider-Head23 said:

I've seen a few posts saying we need left sided players. I respect the posters opinions but do we?

In all areas in midfield I feel were sorted with sufficient competition for places.

That's true. Would you trust Ayling at CB? Not sure I would.

I think LJ, and I trust his judgement, will give Zak Vyner a chance at CB if Flint is not available. Hearing good things about the lad.

6 minutes ago, Clevedon_Red said:

That's true. Would you trust Ayling at CB? Not sure I would.

I think LJ, and I trust his judgement, will give Zak Vyner a chance at CB if Flint is not available. Hearing good things about the lad.

We trusted him enough to help us break records season before last...Not saying that if we lose Flint for a couple of months that I think Ayling is a long term solution, but a stop gap for a couple of games...?  Don't see why not.  If Hordur is there to mop up the high balls, then I'd be happy enough.  But we possibly could do with a little more strength in depth at the back given the changes to the loan rules.  I thought we may see Pearce back to be honest.  Looked good when given a chance and would be very happy with him as back up.

24 minutes ago, Cider-Head23 said:

City need CB cover - end of. As I posted earlier I'm sure LJ is aware of that but the disappointing fact is that there's no indications that's are more incoming players.

Bryan is no way a left back. He can play there if needed but it's not his best position. He's far more effective further up the pitch,

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

City need CB cover - end of. As I posted earlier I'm sure LJ is aware of that but the disappointing fact is that there's no indications that's are more incoming players.

Bryan is no way a left back. He can play there if needed but it's not his best position. He's far more effective further up the pitch,

He's young enough, intelligent enough and adept enough to still make it his own. Who'd have thought he could sit in CM and look quite accomplished? 

I think he's one of those intelligent footballers with technique that he could make nearly any position his own with a decent run there and the benefit of gaining enough experience. 

8 minutes ago, 29AR said:

He's young enough, intelligent enough and adept enough to still make it his own. Who'd have thought he could sit in CM and look quite accomplished? 

I think he's one of those intelligent footballers with technique that he could make nearly any position his own with a decent run there and the benefit of gaining enough experience. 

I'm not critical of Bryan at all. As you say he's very versatile and could play a number of positions. My point is left back is imv not his best position. He's brings far more to the team when playing higher up. I'd be interested to hear what Bryan himself thinks is his best position.

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I'm not critical of Bryan at all. As you say he's very versatile and could play a number of positions. My point is left back is imv not his best position. He's brings far more to the team when playing higher up. I'd be interested to hear what Bryan himself thinks is his best position.

I completely agree, but with the caveat 'for now'. One season at LB and I would wager come the end that may seem to be where he's most effective. 

I think it was on another thread someone suggested he could maybe even do a striker's role. If we were chasing a game and needed to nick a goal I'd be tempted to give him a punt up there and see what happens. 

50 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Problem with this is LJ said last season he sees JB as a premier league LB in the making. I think he's going to be pushing Golbourne out of the team a few times this season. 

9 hours ago, Red Army Faction said:

Agree.on striker but aren't we ok left sided Freeman, O'Dowda, Bryan) and need more right?  Is Brownhill left or right footed?

2 hours ago, Cider-Head23 said:

IMO Freeman isn't left sided and prefers the right or centre and what I've read of O'Dowda he wants to play on the right too. 

I think only Bryan and Golbourne genuinely prefer the left side (Williams is a centre half).

On the right we have Ayling, Little, Matthews and the two wingers. 

I don't want to see Tomlin out wide either. 

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Bryan actually thinks he's a left back. I heard an interview last season. 

I think he could actually turn in a decent Lb bit like Danny Rose. I still can't believe he's turned into the player he is for Spurs based on what he was on loan with us.

Archived