IGNORED

(Sweeping Statement) Bored of the Olympics

Markman

Well  - I love sport and watch it all the time and take part in what I can,  and I know the Olympics will produce some good moments - but since yesterday the totally gushing,over the top, enthused reporting and interviews is driving me nuts - I am bored of it already. Maybe it is the BBC's big sell but everyone involved (helpers and reporters) are so full of themselves it is making me switch right off.

Just me?

1 hour ago, Markman said:

Well  - I love sport and watch it all the time and take part in what I can,  and I know the Olympics will produce some good moments - but since yesterday the totally gushing,over the top, enthused reporting and interviews is driving me nuts - I am bored of it already. Maybe it is the BBC's big sell but everyone involved (helpers and reporters) are so full of themselves it is making me switch right off.

Just me?

Why don't you 'spoon whittle' for three weeks?

Uncle TFR 

• Admin

The olympics have never done it for me, running fast and throwing things........  Yawn.

I think the introduction of professionals like tennis and golf has destroyed the Olympic spirit, although the athletes are professional even if via lottery funding etc. whereas I always thought the games were for amateurs, are the boxers the only real amateurs left? All though no doubt they don't graft on a building site in between training and bouts.

I enjoy it. It's the one time every four years I bother to watch different sports I wouldn't normally even think about, like archery and fencing.  

Agree on the over the top coverage.

Did anyone see the gymnast break his leg? Me and the wife were saying how small their legs were - a good advert on why you shouldn't skip leg day.

Just now, Barrs Court Red said:

I enjoy it. It's the one time every four years I bother to watch different sports I wouldn't normally even think about, like archery and fencing.  

Agree on the over the top coverage.

Did anyone see the gymnast break his leg? Me and the wife were saying how small their legs were - a good advert on why you shouldn't skip leg day.

Nasty - and I trust all realise (as Barrs does) that most of my comments are meant more in jest and about the gushing broadcaster coverage than a critique of those sportspeople taking part - all credit to them

7 minutes ago, Markman said:

Nasty - and I trust all realise (as Barrs does) that most of my comments are meant more in jest and about the gushing broadcaster coverage than a critique of those sportspeople taking part - all credit to them

Gymnastics is brutal. When I was in school I watched someone "leap" one of the boxes (horse?) and landed badly, snapping his arm. Weird part was, he was laughing when he stood up...untill he looked down.

I just hope jousting gets on the list as put forward by English Heritage. If 10 meter BB gun shooting is an "Olympic" sport, jousting can be.

On 6 August 2016 at 08:02, Markman said:

Just me?

No it's not just you. I'm the same. The BBC coverage is below par and they keep repeating previous action from other sports.....it's tedious viewing.

Hopefully it'll improve once the athletics gets underway.

23 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I just hope jousting gets on the list as put forward by English Heritage. If 10 meter BB gun shooting is an "Olympic" sport, jousting can be.

Jousting would be brilliant. Somewhere in the Ethiopian mountains there's a young lad with nothing but a dream, a lance and a highly decorated horse. It's time he had his chance....

Enjoyed the womens 7 rugby, found the cycling boring (they need better captions, updates etc - we did not even see the leaders crash). Gymnastics was Ok but the camera angle and garish stadium decor makes it hard to focus on the gymnast, there should be less clutter so you can see the gymnast clearly against the background.. and straight on views for the routines ? I am not sure if the Olympics provides the feeds and BBC tap into what they want to show, or if these are BBC crews, but it has been a little underwhelming so far.. hopefully will pick up and improve over the coming days,

On 7 août 2016 at 10:17, Barrs Court Red said:

Gymnastics is brutal. When I was in school I watched someone "leap" one of the boxes (horse?) and landed badly, snapping his arm. Weird part was, he was laughing when he stood up...untill he looked down.

We should demand new sports like;

spudgun shooting ,

wedgies, with different weight catégories

throwing rolled up balls of paper into A waste paper basket,

100 M pissed as a fart running  for a taxi évent .

That's sport .

I watched a couple of boxing bouts and have to say I have seen pub fights with more skill, the one last night involving a scouser who was well beaten he was holding, turning his back and swinging wildly with eyes closed throughout the bout and at the end he claimed he won the first round which was a joke and that he was going to turn pro, I hope not he was awful.

To be honest I love sport but I am struggling to summon up any interest in this Olympics, I will watch the velodrome cycling and maybe some rowing but that's about it for me.

11 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I watched a couple of boxing bouts and have to say I have seen pub fights with more skill, the one last night involving a scouser who was well beaten he was holding, turning his back and swinging wildly with eyes closed throughout the bout and at the end he claimed he won the first round which was a joke and that he was going to turn pro, I hope not he was awful.

To be honest I love sport but I am struggling to summon up any interest in this Olympics, I will watch the velodrome cycling and maybe some rowing but that's about it for me.

Watched that boxer too. Terrible. The lad in the Welter class before was a bit better but still dropped his hands so much...

Got to be honest, I do watch a lot of it. Hubby used to be a Judoka so that's on constantly. I've personally got insomnia so I've just watched Siobhan O'Connor and the 4x200m relay male swim team get their respective silvers in the pool.

Pretty sure the IOC record all the sports and the Beeb select the feeds they want. Then they add their own interview/punditry. Just watched the bird off Blue Peter (Helen Skelton?) covering the pool event with Mark Foster and Rebecca Adlington. The last two I get but Helen Skelton? David Walliams would have been more of a relevant person - at least he's done something namely in the water!

3 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Watched that boxer too. Terrible. The lad in the Welter class before was a bit better but still dropped his hands so much...

Got to be honest, I do watch a lot of it. Hubby used to be a Judoka so that's on constantly. I've personally got insomnia so I've just watched Siobhan O'Connor and the 4x200m relay male swim team get their respective silvers in the pool.

Pretty sure the IOC record all the sports and the Beeb select the feeds they want. Then they add their own interview/punditry. Just watched the bird off Blue Peter (Helen Skelton?) covering the pool event with Mark Foster and Rebecca Adlington. The last two I get but Helen Skelton? David Walliams would have been more of a relevant person - at least he's done something namely in the water!

Helen Skelton has much better legs than Walliams!

not enjoying the coverage very much - the footage is poor, results, current positions, times and scores are lacking or pop up so late your watching something else and it relates to something that happened minutes ago. It all feels so disjointed and makes it harder to get into and enjoy. The thing with team events especially is following the scores and team points board as they move on routine by routine, it adds tot he events - instead we have no idea what is really happening, or why results and scores seem to be so late coming through. Watching crowd reactions and not the action they are responding to is also starting to annoy me.

The archery has been good, been watching the iplayer coverage generally as BBC have a tendency to replace it when on the blue button options. Best part about Olympic archery being after qualification the knockouts are done on head to head set play where its anyone's game as it can be over in 9 arrows. Kim Woojin set a new world record becoming the first person to score 700 (out of 720) in qualifying shooting 52 10's and 20 9's however was knocked out in the second round (by the 33rd seed) having shot a few 8's and a 7 in his match. 

There is also British representation with Naomi Folkard through to the last 16 after winning her first two matches and Patrick Huston is on in a couple of hours. 

Archived