IGNORED

Opinions on players today

coxyboy

Just in my opinion

O Donnell.   Did nothing wrong today could do nothing about goal. Maybe could have been but quicker with distribution but solid

Ayling.  Did well, did not deal with goal along with Flint, supported well in attack  and solid

Maggers. Slow first half for me and was not pysical enough, second half half more fired up, won some great airiel challenges and distribution sound. A young player who should be pleased with debut

Flinty.  For me a little off today, got turned inside out for goal, distribution was poor but he kept going like the lion he is

Joe. Played well at left back , got forward well and also defended well, solid

Brownhill. Looked bright and wanted to ball, some nice touches. Think he could be a very useful player wide but also good going forward, good debut.

Pack. Thought he worked his socks off today and showed great desire on the pitch. Some nice touches supporting attack

O Neil. Quiet in first half but thought he was class in the second. Calm on the ball broke he play up and used the ball well, superb.

O Dowda. What a player this kid can be, pace , power, skill and desire. Superb debut

Tomlin. Quiet first half but more alive second half. Showed some nice link up play with Tammy

Kodg. Hard playing up front on your own but in general poor today , to me very greedy on the ball and needs to look to pass!!!

Reid. Bright when he came on and deserved his goal

Tammy. What a player he could be, pacey, skilful and hungry for the ball, will start Tuesday and took his goal well, will only get better 

Freezy. Did ok when came on and got involved

Thought we were poor first half and deserved to be a goal down. Second half different story and fully deserved the win and think this team will get bettter each week 

COYR

14 minutes ago, coxyboy said:

O Donnell.   Had nothing to do including the goal because he was never getting near they finish  

Ayling.  Good game with good attacking intent. Think he could have perhaps been more conservative. For those thinking the lad can't play RB though a performance to silence  

Maggers. Was it the same guy first half to the second? He was flawless second half. Long throw was interesting to see. Quite excited by this one. 

Flinty.  Thought he was somewhat dominant and no bad game. I think him and Magnusson could get exposed by pace though. Not convinced they're partners, unless we can get our full backs tucking in to support. 

Joe. Solid

Brownhill. Thought he was rather poor. But then it's a formation that requires our CAM to be both on form and have a deep understanding of his teammates' movement. Chalk this one off and on to the next. 

Pack. Good game. 

O Neil. Used the ball well, decent vision. Think he'll be what Hartley was to us. 

O Dowda. Fantastic debut. Only a goal could've topped it. Looks like we've found one here. 

Tomlin. Not good. Not helped by hugging the left. I don't think Brownhill helped him mind as there was no crossing of positions which we saw him do with Reid so dangerously. 

Kodg. It would be unfair to rate him given he was offered nothing in supports 

Reid. This lad makes me eat my words. Wrote him off last year, what a player he's becoming. I believe he should be one of the first on the team sheet. 

Tammy. Exciting

Freezy. Thought he was excellent. 

7 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

Why Agard, are the other forwards injured?

Personally think he would be a threat to Wycombe. Plus after Burton we've got a tough midweek game at Norwich and then two tough home games which for me the four games including Burton are important. 

2 hours ago, coxyboy said:

Just in my opinion

O Donnell.   Did nothing wrong today could do nothing about goal. Maybe could have been but quicker with distribution but solid

Ayling.  Did well, did not deal with goal along with Flint, supported well in attack  and solid

Maggers. Slow first half for me and was not pysical enough, second half half more fired up, won some great airiel challenges and distribution sound. A young player who should be pleased with debut

Flinty.  For me a little off today, got turned inside out for goal, distribution was poor but he kept going like the lion he is

Joe. Played well at left back , got forward well and also defended well, solid

Brownhill. Looked bright and wanted to ball, some nice touches. Think he could be a very useful player wide but also good going forward, good debut.

Pack. Thought he worked his socks off today and showed great desire on the pitch. Some nice touches supporting attack

O Neil. Quiet in first half but thought he was class in the second. Calm on the ball broke he play up and used the ball well, superb.

O Dowda. What a player this kid can be, pace , power, skill and desire. Superb debut

Tomlin. Quiet first half but more alive second half. Showed some nice link up play with Tammy

Kodg. Hard playing up front on your own but in general poor today , to me very greedy on the ball and needs to look to pass!!!

Reid. Bright when he came on and deserved his goal

Tammy. What a player he could be, pacey, skilful and hungry for the ball, will start Tuesday and took his goal well, will only get better 

Freezy. Did ok when came on and got involved

Thought we were poor first half and deserved to be a goal down. Second half different story and fully deserved the win and think this team will get bettter each week 

COYR

Agree everything you say bar Flint & Ayling. Thought Flint was solid at the back, had to carry Maggers in the first half. Yes some of his long balls were bad choices but definitely wasn't off. As for Ayling, not looking good enough for this division. Got caught out too many times and seemed off pace to the rest of the team. Hope Matthews starts next week.

O'Donnell: little to do, looked comfortable

Ayling: thought he played well, supported a limited attack quite well in the first half. Got caught a bit for the goal, as did a few others
Flint: one of the ones lagging a little when it came to their goal (along with Ayling, Magners, O'Neil and Pack imo) but generally very solid and dealt with most things well
Magnusson: already looks to be building a solid partnership with Flint. Positioning was good and looked like he'd played at this level for a while
Bryan: solid defensively first half, great going forward in the second. Unlucky not to have one of his driving efforts go in but for several blocks from Wigan defenders

O'Neil: struggled to get back quick enough to stop Gilbey getting the opener but generally broke up play well when he could and looked assured in possession. Set pieces were decent too with us going close on numerous occasions
Pack: similar to O'Neil. A little unfortunate to get taken off but needed a more attacking threat
Brownhill: unable to effect the game enough first half but didn't shy away

O'Dowda: looked very lively early on but faded a bit (and also took a whack)before being replaced. I do love an exciting winger that runs at defenders and causes problems
Kodjia: isolated a lot in the first 45 but did stretch the Wigan back 3 a few times. Looked better when Abraham came on to support and unfortunate not to score when cutting in a few times
Tomlin: the dead leg explains a lot as he struggled to make much of an impact. A few good long passes showed his vision and he linked up well with Abraham when he came on

All 3 subs showed desire to get on the ball and be positive with it.  Abraham looks a cracking player, and Reid and Freeman complimented the attack very well as we continued to dominate the 2nd half.

25 minutes ago, #roe said:

O'Donnell: little to do, looked comfortable

Ayling: thought he played well, supported a limited attack quite well in the first half. Got caught a bit for the goal, as did a few others
Flint: one of the ones lagging a little when it came to their goal (along with Ayling, Magners, O'Neil and Pack imo) but generally very solid and dealt with most things well
Magnusson: already looks to be building a solid partnership with Flint. Positioning was good and looked like he'd played at this level for a while
Bryan: solid defensively first half, great going forward in the second. Unlucky not to have one of his driving efforts go in but for several blocks from Wigan defenders

O'Neil: struggled to get back quick enough to stop Gilbey getting the opener but generally broke up play well when he could and looked assured in possession. Set pieces were decent too with us going close on numerous occasions
Pack: similar to O'Neil. A little unfortunate to get taken off but needed a more attacking threat
Brownhill: unable to effect the game enough first half but didn't shy away

O'Dowda: looked very lively early on but faded a bit (and also took a whack)before being replaced. I do love an exciting winger that runs at defenders and causes problems
Kodjia: isolated a lot in the first 45 but did stretch the Wigan back 3 a few times. Looked better when Abraham came on to support and unfortunate not to score when cutting in a few times
Tomlin: the dead leg explains a lot as he struggled to make much of an impact. A few good long passes showed his vision and he linked up well with Abraham when he came on

All 3 subs showed desire to get on the ball and be positive with it.  Abraham looks a cracking player, and Reid and Freeman complimented the attack very well as we continued to dominate the 2nd half.

Agree with this pretty much 100%

28 minutes ago, daored said:

Personally think he would be a threat to Wycombe. Plus after Burton we've got a tough midweek game at Norwich and then two tough home games which for me the four games including Burton are important. 

I think we'll make a fair few changes.

Nice to be able to do that after a victory, but also because with the players who've been involved today staking claims, will hopefully motivate any coming in to try and do similar.

Fancy same starting system from today, but with Wilbraham starting over Kodjia , and any with knocks rested (so Tomlin and O'Dowda, possibly O'Neil).

See Freeman, Reid, Williams and Matthews all coming in; maybe Golborne if he's fit.

Imagine one or two of the under 21s with also get a shot too.

O'Donnell - not a lot to do...and perhaps a few people should see that it wasn't all Fielding's fault if you keep trying to punt it to Joe Bryan on the touch line.

Ayling - steady enough, supported attack, and in last 15/20 showed great desire to win balls that he shouldn't have got.  Was in WS so couldn't see the their break down our right for their goal.  Will watch on telly later.

Bryan - my MOTM.  I take it all back re wanting the steady Golbourne....well, for home games at least.

Flint - had a very good game.  Bailed out Magnússon three times in opening half hour with blocks.  

Magnússon - bit outwitted by Grigg and Wildschut (especially) in opening 30 minutes, but worked out when to get tight and when to sit off, and dominated in second half. Thought Wildschut was a really handful.

Pack - steady game, worked hard in first half when we didn't click

O'Neil - got better and better as game went on, very clever touches and takes a very good corner / set-piece.  GONna be a huge influence this season

O'Dowda - along with JB, our best player in first half.  Warnock very lucky with a couple of lunges in on him...assume that is where he got the knock.  Very decent debut.

Brownhill - did some good things in tight spaces but let himself down a little when he had time.

Tomlin - quiet, frustrated for 75 minutes, then got himself into the game.  Thought our fitness and last season's experience was telling in second half.

Kodjia - lacked service until the double sub.  Having said that would have scored had those two left foot 'draggers' been on his right foot.

Subs:

Abraham - very, very, very impressive....seems to have it all.  We are lucky to have in on this performance.

Reid - buzzed around, hope this is what squad competition does.  Looking forward to seeing the goal.  Photos of slide below.

Freeman - did well, got a couple of step-overs in, and moved it quickly, and closed down well.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, daored said:

Personally think he would be a threat to Stronger. Plus after Burton we've got a tough midweek game at Norwich and then two tough home games which for me the four games including Burton are important. 

He wasn't a threat to Bath.

Just now, Nube Rojo said:

anyone else notice how dejected Kodjia looked at the end? - hopefully just pissed off at not scoring

He's always like that when he doesn't score.  He didn't get much service, but still worked hard and got more involved in the last 25 mins.

Looks happy enough for Bobby here:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Archived