IGNORED

Time wasting...

spudski

... I noticed how much time wasting Wigan did yesterday, after going a goal up.

It occurred to me how easy it was to do, because of a lack of ball boys. No body throwing the ball back quickly, enabled the Wigan players to just stroll and get the ball at their own pace.

Think I counted two ball boys under the Lansdown stand.

Any reason for so few?

Also...was shocked to see electronic advertising hoardings.

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

It occurred to me how easy it was to do, because of a lack of ball boys. No body throwing the ball back quickly, enabled the Wigan players to just stroll and get the ball at their own pace.

Any reason for so few?

I didn't think Bogdan was too bad....he could've easily taken his goal kicks from the furthest corner each time.

However Burn and Warnock (what is it about that name!) took the pi$$, Burn rightly booked.

Thought ref was fairly anonymous- in a good way, yesterday.

I have an intense dislike of the electronic advertising boards and I hope they blow a fuse!

The time wasting was ridiculous by Wigan and more ball boys might have helped - and is it just my imagination, but aren't they also very small these days?

It was wonderful when we started wasting time in the last few minutes and to see how quickly the Wigan goalkeeper managed to move once they were behind! 

9 minutes ago, Between heaven and hell said:

Blame the SAG for this mate its all they would allow!

I've seen a few mentions of 'blame the SAG' today...it's a complete woosh moment for me...must have missed something. Don't get to read all the threads these days.

25 minutes ago, spudski said:

Any reason for so few?

Maybe a lack of available ballboys with summer holidays?

Interesting to see LJ talk with one of them in front of the Lansdown Stand to speed things up when we were building the pressure.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I didn't think Bogdan was too bad....he could've easily taken his goal kicks from the furthest corner each time.

However Burn and Warnock (what is it about that name!) took the pi$$, Burn rightly booked.

I thought the ref was pretty poor for both teams. Wigan should of had two blatant free kicks in the first half (O'Neil handball and Flint rugby tackling a guy who was nowhere near the ball), however Pack should of had a free kick for being obstructed and Kodjia got bundled over a few times.

16 minutes ago, lenred said:

Once they went 2-1 down Bogdan was like a hamster on a wheel, he couldn't move fast enough! It was hilarious after the way they took the proverbial for most the game. Made the victory even more sweeter than it already was! 

Yeah. I was laughing my head off - serves them right. Just for time wasting from the 1st minute of the second half they deserved nothing from the game.

Having said that we were just as guilty of slowing the game down when we went ahead, but I think its pretty much accepted practice to do this in the last few minutes to see the game out (and the ref can intervene or add more time on as he sees fit).

Amazing the time wasting yesterday as Wigan wasted as much time as they could which lets be honest the referee assisted them with by not managing the situation but then to add insult to injury reclaimed all the time they wasted back in time added on to try and get the equaliser.

Luckily Wigan got what they deserved but the FA need to clamp down on blatant time wasting because it annoys every one of us paying customers.

9 minutes ago, Super said:

I have no idea why they sat back second half. They were a threat in the first half and did not threaten at all second half. 

Because they used up the majority of there energy in the 1st half closing us down brilliantly. There was no way they could have kept that up for 90 mins at this stage of the season. Their game plan was to get a goal and then see out the game.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Bogdan was dreadful for it, at one point he slowly walked to,get the ball, then walked to the far corner, then when he got there decided to take it from the middle. 10 minutes later he was sprinting for it

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Any reason for so few?

Strangely in commentary yesterday, it was suggested that at about the 20 minute mark in the first half (before their goal) that they were in no hurry to get on with the game.

What I don't understand is was the time added on was due to time wasting....Wigan did the time wasting yet they get an advantage through the time added on.

surely the time added on should have been no more than 1 minute....punish the team that was causing the delay in the first place....ultimately they benefited through their own negative unspkrting behaviour.

It will never happen but I would love see a scenario where should a team time waste while being in a winning position but then subsequently concede enough goals to be in a losing position the referee remove the extra minutes he would have added on for time wasting as a punishment for the time wasting in the first place. 

Will never happen but just a thought

I'm guessing ball boys can't sit in front of the advertising and because of the height can't really sit behind. Therefore guessing it's likely were only going to get then in the area where's the LED board run out

21 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I'm guessing ball boys can't sit in front of the advertising and because of the height can't really sit behind. Therefore guessing it's likely were only going to get then in the area where's the LED board run out

Why can't they sit in front of the advertising on a small stool fella? Always did before. Isn't the LED going to go all the way around the pitch? I should imagine so.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I hope we do the same when we go 1-0 up away.  It's part of the game and up to the ref to spot it.

Can't agree with you here Dave.

As someone else has said its the worst part of the game now, and yes we do it and I wish we didn't.

The game has moved on in many areas, but control of the time is still done by the referee, with a watch or watches and we have no idea what time he will add until he does it.

If we can have extra officials who seem to do very little it's about time we had a timekeeper who stops the clock when the ball goes out, and restarts it when the ball is back in play, easily done, transparent and fair to both sides. No need then to raise a board with a notional time to be added on.

Equally the gaining of ground at throw ins drives me mad, again easily remedied by awarding not a throw in, but a free kick to the other side, it would soon stop.

Most supporters pay to be entertained not watch players on both sides waste time.

1 hour ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Because they used up the majority of there energy in the 1st half closing us down brilliantly. There was no way they could have kept that up for 90 mins at this stage of the season. Their game plan was to get a goal and then see out the game.

Exactly.  Our player's fitness, fresh legs in attack etc proved to be Wigan's undoing.

49 minutes ago, Londoner said:

What I don't understand is was the time added on was due to time wasting....Wigan did the time wasting yet they get an advantage through the time added on.

surely the time added on should have been no more than 1 minute....punish the team that was causing the delay in the first place....ultimately they benefited through their own negative unspkrting behaviour.

Isn't the rule, 30 seconds for each goal and each sub, plus whatever injury time the ref deems acceptable.  Not sure if a double sub is 30 or 60nseconds though

Archived