IGNORED

Kodjia

Spike

Watching Kodjia yesterday I wonder if he may be a better winger than a striker. His finishing was not up to scratch and he seems to be one of those create 3-4, score one type of strikers but his ability to wrong foot a defender or beat him with pace and turns makes me wonder if we should try him out wide so he can cut in and supply Abraham or Tomlin? I know when I say this we have to look at the fact he scored plenty of goals last season but I do wonder if he could actually score just as many as well as creating a lot by putting him wider? 

It's just a thought but I wondered if anyone else has thought the same?

He scored 19 goals last season as a striker? Not sure why you'd want to move him from there. He didn't really have any guilt edge chances yesterday did he? One that you'd think he should have scored? He is very frustrating though, top player but needs to release the ball sometimes alot earlier. One instance being a simple pass that would have put Abraham through on goal.

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

Watching Kodjia yesterday I wonder if he may be a better winger than a striker. His finishing was not up to scratch and he seems to be one of those create 3-4, score one type of strikers but his ability to wrong foot a defender or beat him with pace and turns makes me wonder if we should try him out wide so he can cut in and supply Abraham or Tomlin? I know when I say this we have to look at the fact he scored plenty of goals last season but I do wonder if he could actually score just as many as well as creating a lot by putting him wider? 

He was greedy yesterday and as a striker that's understandable up to point but there's a difference between selfishness and playing for the team. Yesterday he had at least two opportunities to play in a team mate but dithered on the ball and got dispossessed......:facepalm:

LJ said last season that Kodjia needs to learn the ways of the English game and based on yesterday he's still has lot more to learn.

He's better off wherever he's going to get more chances. 1 goal in every 3-4 chances is actually a decent ratio.

Also, he isn't really the type to 'supply' players is he..

But, Abraham showed real promise and it'll be interesting to see how LJ thinks he and Kodjia can play together more.

27 minutes ago, Spike said:

Bizarre, laughable, odd, crazy. 

Not at the game myself, but a little harsh to be judging him too much in one game.

Watching the extended highlights it looks like, yes; he held the ball too long, but also had their defence on their heels more often than not - it was his run and attempted pass that won us the corner Ambraham scored from.

Had his (excellent) run and shot at the end gone in, it would likely soothe a fair few concerns, but think he'll be back to go best soon.

Was effective even when the rest of the team was off colour first half of last season, and did that with a partner more often than not, so fancy him and Abraham to cause all sorts of problems for teams if we have them up top together.

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He was greedy yesterday and as a striker that's understandable up to point but there's a difference between selfishness and playing for the team. Yesterday he had at least two opportunities to play in a team mate but dithered on the ball and got dispossessed......:facepalm:

Yeah i was fuming when he had the chance to play in Abrahams, he had 3 or 4 seconds to play him in as well and took it on his own. I can understand being a striker you always go for the goal but when we were losing and in an attack where it was very difficult for him to go alone. Abrahams was pretty annoyed as well.

Frustrating yesterday, probably wasn't helped by Tomlin not being able to fill that left side. As a result he went wide more often as there was no outlet.

That's what he is though - he's a bit of an enigma. His decision making, like not playing Abraham through, is why he's not quite prem level yet in my eyes.

He came to the game late and it shows sometimes. Still a big threat though, if we can somehow get him, Abraham, Tomlin, O'Dowda and even maybe a (hopefully) rejuvenated Freeman to work well together, it's a very potent attack.

I hope we experiment with a front 2 against Wycombe - Kodjia and Abraham - to get them to gel. Wouldn't be surprised to see Garita on the bench.

35 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ said last season that Kodjia needs to learn the ways of the English game and based on yesterday he's still has lot more to learn.

Good points, I think another good lesson is Andy Cole learnt very early on he was more deadly when he didn't hesitate, he just took the shot on early, Kodjia looks better when he does that IMO.

I would like to add that however he played yesterday, he does keep defences fully occupied during games, take your eye off of him at your peril.

Maybe he has played as striker in his early development and has retained some of those aspects in his game.  I'd still keep him as striker though he does have plenty to work on.  

Yes, he can be selfish and make the wrong choices but he does create a good few chances out of nothing with his trickery.

Dear OP, I have just noticed this following post from yesterday's match thread, I'm very confused. You have not only posted something ludicrous but you also seem to have based the whole thing on your first few words... 'Watching Kodjia yesterday'. Umm? 

22 hours ago, Spike said:

How are we playing? I saw the line up and wasn't sure about it, I've seen we're one down, is this a game we look like we can turn around or are heads down?

1 hour ago, Super said:

He was very isolated at times and didn't show anything until the subs came on. His finishing was hopeless yesetrday.

Isolated first half when as a whole we didn't play well against a well organised and incredibly hardworking Wigan.  As we improved, so did Kodjia.  Does a lot of unselfish running, un-noticed by many.  Some of those runs resorted in Wigan getting deeper, and us getting into the game.

...and fantastic save by Bogdan to tip it onto the post.  The couple of left foot swingers are typical Kodjia finishing when it comes on his wrong side.  On his right foot it's a different story, albeit sone of those go horribly wrong.

I love him.

2 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

Dear OP, I have just noticed this following post from yesterday's match thread, I'm very confused. You have not only posted something ludicrous but you also seem to have based the whole thing on your first few words... 'Watching Kodjia yesterday'. Umm? 

Brilliant! 

Talk about someone making themselves a little bit daft..! 

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Isolated first half when as a whole we didn't play well against a well organised and incredibly hardworking Wigan.  As we improved, so did Kodjia.  Does a lot of unselfish running, un-noticed by many.  Some of those runs resorted in Wigan getting deeper, and us getting into the game.

...and fantastic save by Bogdan to tip it onto the post.  The couple of left foot swingers are typical Kodjia finishing when it comes on his wrong side.  On his right foot it's a different story, albeit sone of those go horribly wrong.

I love him.

I did laugh at LJ who was raging at Kodjia when he hit the post, wanted him to go to the corner I presume.

Archived