IGNORED

Team for Wycombe

samo II

After a decent result this weekend, was interested in who people think LJ will put out to face Wycombe.

Considering our utterly abysmal record against lower league oppositon in the early stages of this cup, I'd be tempted to play several who didn't make the pitch/bench this weekend, and hope a few players look to try and win first team chances.  Don't think Burton will be an easy game, so more chance to rest the better.

My thinking we might go 442 with the diamond (Pack at the base, Freeman behind the strikes), and keep Flint/Hodur together to build that partnership (or swap them for Vyner and Williams, if not).  So, as below;

Max O'Leary

Adam Matthews, Aden Flint, Hordur Magnússon, Scott Golbourne

Marlon Pack, Josh Brownhill, Jonny Smith, Luke Freeman

Aaron Wilbraham, Tammy Abraham

Could throw in one or two of the U21s instead of perhaps Brownhill or Pack, and Agard if we're not having him head off soon (if he's not involved Tuesday, he's likely off for me).

1 minute ago, Super said:

Let's be honest the priority is Burton, wouldn't have a problem to see a weakened team.

I'm not so sure, SL will want to see a full Ashton Gate to showcase it. A draw vs a big prem club, on tv, sell out, under the lights - a great opportunity to show off the new stadium. I think we'll be competing hard on all fronts. We have an abysmal record in the league cup, hope we can be less embarrassing this year.

O'Donnell

Matthews     Flint   Magnusson    Golbourne 

Pack 

Brownhill          Reid

Freeman

Wilbraham       Abraham 

2 minutes ago, Strawberry2157. said:

Vyner had a protective boot on yesterday so he won't be playing anytime soon

That's not good; hope the lad heals us soon.  Perhaps another reason we need another centre back in the squad.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I can't see us playing such a second string side, Wycombe aren't bad and could easily turn us over.

I'd like to see..

Lucic

Matthews, Magnusson, Flint, Bryan

O'Dowda, Pack, Reid, Freeman

Abraham, Kodjia

Depends on what the aim is, and how LJ plans to use the squad.

For me; aiming for a win at Burton is vital - after them we've got three sides where I personally would be delighted with a draw each game, so heading into that run with maximum points to allow that is really important.

I'd also think it is harsh on Golbourne to miss out, and it's a great match for him to get minutes under his belt.

And with Burton likely another game were we hope to be on the front foot a fair bit (hopefully), I'd give Bryan a rest.

If there is anything in the knock O'Dowda received, I'd not even make him travel; he's such a talent I'd be really cautious with him.  In the highlights of the Burton game, Forest got in behind them repeatedly from the wings, so O'Dowda could make hay against that. 

Give Freeman or Jonny Smith (or Brownhill or even Arnie or De Girolamo or all of them) a shot; if we're going to have this 'pathway' we need to commit to it, and there are few 'live fire' games better for it than the likes of this.

As for set piece games; we've got two of them in Newcastle and Villa coming up, and a good chance at FA Cup 3rd round time -odds are beating Wycombe might just net us yet another game against Gillingham, so worth the risk of a rotating the squad. 

The manager is likely wanting to give players playing time and an opportunity. 

Golbourne I suspect will play Also possible Starts for the three subs yesterday likely with Mathews in as well  

Agard is an interesting one. If he's subject to an offer or extended interest I can see him on the bench and the same may apply to Mark Little 

i agree that the Flint Hodor partnership is important and needs settling time and would play both but Williams is an excellent player.

with The knocks to Tomlin and the new lad I suspect they will not start but if fit be on the bench at best which will allow Bryan to be pushed further forward and Freeman behind the forwards

Great position to be in, with very decent competition throughout the first team. Would anybody reasonably argue Mathews and Golbourne would weaken the team and Korey Smith will be back soon!

29 minutes ago, Jp91 said:

O'Donnell

Pack 

Brownhill          Reid

Freeman

Wilbraham       Abraham 

Don't think that side will be far away at all.

Real value in giving our first choice CB pairing a second chance to gel, otherwise it is a good opportunity to give some fringe players a start.

Doubt either O'Dowda or Tomlin will start after taking knocks, and ideally not play at all.

As others have said perhaps not a bad chance for Flint and Magnusson to gel but wouldn't be surprised to see Williams start over Magnusson. Expect to see Matthews and Golbourne start for fitness and a run out, as well as Reid, Freeman and Wilbs. Would like to see Lucic but expect RO'D to start.

37 minutes ago, Jp91 said:

O'Donnell

Pack 

Brownhill          Reid

Freeman

Wilbraham       Abraham 

This isn't a bad shout

Want Flint and Mag's to get some time together, rest Bryan after his weekend stint. I think Matthews will be first choice next league game so Ayling at RB. Brownhill looked like he needs some time on the pitch. I am not sure about Smith's situation, so Pack in the middle with Reid and Freeman (they looked sharp and only played 20ish minutes on Saturday). Would not risk Kod's or Tammy, and think it's a perfect chance to get Agard and Wilbs out to show what they can offer.

Looking to gel a little, give players a chance to show their stuff, but also a decent team because at the end of the day want to win.

ScreenShot_20160807144224.png

11 minutes ago, Selred said:

O'Donnell

Matthews (needs match fitness), Flint, Mags (to help their paring), Golbourne

Pack and Smith (again match fitness) 

Tomlin Freeman

Wilbs, Agard (don't want to burn Abraham out after a long summer).

I doubt Smith will be ready

22 minutes ago, Selred said:

O'Donnell

Matthews (needs match fitness), Flint, Mags (to help their paring), Golbourne

Pack and Smith (again match fitness) 

Tomlin Freeman

Wilbs, Agard (don't want to burn Abraham out after a long summer).

I'm thinking that with Abraham arriving, Agard may never play for us again.  Could be proved wrong, but looks like he's 4th choice now, and think after being used sparsely last campaign, it might be best for him to get games elsewhere.

10 minutes ago, Kodjia said:

I doubt Smith will be ready

Agreed; unless the club are putting out serious misinformation )including Smith saying in his own interview he's not ready) then it'll be weeks before he's back in the side.

Good aim would be the Newcastle game or Villa; don't want such an important player getting rushed back and knackering himself for longer.

14 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

Forgive me for being blasé, but I couldn't care less if we we lost. I would much rather we beat burton and crack on in the league! 

We go out in the first round every year and wins bring confidence. No doubt burton is more important but we are better equipped squad wise to cope now.

For me, I would want to give Abraham game time and try to form a partnership with kodjia to see if this is an option when opportunities warrant the more gung-ho approach of the second half yesterday. I would also not risk any knocks and give game time to a couple who started on the bench. So:-

ROD

Matthews-Flint-Magnusson-Bryan

O'Neil

Freeman-Pack-Reid

Abraham-Kodjia

I'd like to see us progress....and therefore play a strong side.  I would be playing those likely to seriously in line for first team football to play,.  So pick any of the 18 from Saturday plus Golbourne, and go out and win it.  Winning breeds confidence, although not saying it's a given.  Don't mind the odd player like Jonny Smith being on the bench, but there are more deserving starters, just take subs Reid and Freeman for example. 

Games cone thick and fast, but also pushing 80-90 minutes now builds stamina fir the long season, plus, it's the reason we now have what I'd call a 'first team squad', so we shouldn't be massively weakened playing any of those players.

2 hours ago, ollywhyte said:

O,Donnell, Matthews, Ayling, Williams, Golbourne, Pack, Brownhill, Freeman, Reid, Agard and Wilbs. 

Something like this makes the most sense. 

Would anyone really be bothered if we don't win this game? Of course a big draw in the next round would be nice, but giving players game time in these "lesser" games will be better for us, IMO. 

21 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Would anyone really be bothered if we don't win this game? Of course a big draw in the next round would be nice, but giving players game time in these "lesser" games will be better for us, IMO. 

Do we get a Europa league place if we win it?

32 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

We have enough in depth (as well as U21's) to put a run together - I think a winning mentality where we go into the season expecting to progress though cup stages as well as do well in the league is important. 

Just to add, us knocking Liverpool out of the FA Cup in 1994 is still a big thing amongst supporters, cemented our purple/green kit into peoples minds etc... those sort of moments are important for clubs as well.

Archived