IGNORED

When did it all end?

ukneil

The recent ‘pop your cherry’ thread inspired me to come out from behind my screen and post this contrasting topic.

Thread started and written with tongue planted in cheek as I have to take the pee out of myself with this admission – it has been 10 years since my last City game.  10 years in November in fact – vs. Leyton Orient on Nov 1 2006 in the Johnstones Paint Trophy or whatever it was called then.  3-1 after going a goal down, great contingent of City fans and anybody who was there remember the gobby cockney giving it all down the front of the one open stand?   Visiting from Canada at that time but couldn’t get to the home game on preceding Saturday due to mate’s stag do and had to turn down ticket to Yeovil on following Sat due to same mate’s wedding!  At least this inconsiderate person lived in Leytonstone at the time otherwise I probably would not have gone to that game either.

Countless other times since where I just have not been able to get my timing right for games or one circumstance or another has stopped me going and now it has been 3 years since I have even been back to the UK due to work and family.  BUT – I still consider myself a die-hard loyal fan!!!  Hey I have done my fair share of ‘3rd division’ games and Freight Rover / Football League Trophy games, not to mention those glamourous Anglo-Italian Cup ties!  Obviously it’s never the same as being there but I can assure you my weekends (and occasional Tuesdays or Wednesdays) rise and fall with the fortunes of our beloved BCFC.

Hopefully I’ll get back down the Gate very soon as I promised my son I would get him to his first game before he turns 12 (I have 18 months), so he’ll be younger than me when I first attended – 1984 vs. Crewe, 2-1 in our promotion season back from the dark depths.  I suppose I better get a move on as it will be more difficult to get tickets next season in the Prem?

So my question to you – if not when did it all end but has it been a REALLY long time since your last game?  When was it and why have you not been since?  Far be it for me to lay down rules for posting but perhaps the cut-off should be in years rather than months, weeks or ‘last Saturday’!

Neil

1 minute ago, reddogkev said:

Not surprised it's been ten years for you, must cost a small fortune to get back to Bristol from Canada to watch a City game.

Not as much as it's cost me from Bristol over the last 10 years..! 

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

Not as much as it's cost me from Bristol over the last 10 years..! 

Blimey that's a good point, how much does a decade of watching City regular over the course of a season cost?  If you go home and away as often as possible, I shudder to think...

Just now, reddogkev said:

Blimey that's a good point, how much does a decade of watching City regular over the course of a season cost?  If you go home and away as often as possible, I shudder to think...

Even just home games cost me £35-40 return in a taxi from Henbury. 

Living in Peterborough I was aware my visits to AG have diminished over the years. I had to go and look at my programme collection though to confirm my worst suspiscion. My last visit to the Gate was August 2008 (eight years ago) when I drove a minibus of PUFC fans down for the League Cup tie.

Since then I've seen City at quite a few away games, just haven't made it to the Gate.

Last game was Barnsley (when LJ was in charge there) during the promotion season. As a mother of a young child, I can't justify buying a season ticket until he's a bit older for the night games. 

Hubby is an egg chaser predominantly so he won't come with either. :dunno:

10 hours ago, Red Army Faction said:

Can you get a taxi season ticket?  Got to be cheaper than POTD.

If you can't get a bus surely there's someone on here that'd share a cab?

9 hours ago, Scrumpy said:

That's rather jaw-dropping.

9 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Jeez. It would cost me less than that for a round trip from Swadlincote.

In all seriousness, the transport links are rubbish. 

No bus service from Henbury area to AG, without it taking forever. 

I find myself driving to half the matches now and picking my games to get a taxi and make the most of in and have a good drink. 

The new matchday bus service from Portway park & ride still means either driving to there or probably a tenner each way in a taxi to there, so could reduce in a bit by doing it that way but it's a big faff just to save a tenner. 

It certainly makes me appreciate how nice it was to live on the doorstep of the ground, when I did.! 

15 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

In all seriousness, the transport links are rubbish. 

No bus service from Henbury area to AG, without it taking forever. 

I find myself driving to half the matches now and picking my games to get a taxi and make the most of in and have a good drink. 

The new matchday bus service from Portway park & ride still means either driving to there or probably a tenner each way in a taxi to there, so could reduce in a bit by doing it that way but it's a big faff just to save a tenner. 

It certainly makes me appreciate how nice it was to live on the doorstep of the ground, when I did.! 

Maybe you should move back!

Archived