IGNORED

LJ preparing to fail

Major Isewater

Down playing the importance of the Scunny tie .

League more important, don't want any injuries etc .

Ok he said He wants to win it but he has now given the players a perfect excuse not to ' bust a gut ' to win .

I like LJ and his honesty but surely he could have packaged this better ? 

I don't want my team going to a tough ground like Glanford Park in half hearted mode . They will get beaten and beaten up . 

How many supporters are going to go all that way to a midweek match   now knowing that the coach considers the game of secondary importance to the League ? 

I'm surprised neither Robin1988, nor Kid, who quickly seconded his comment, have accused the Major of 'veiled criticism/cynicism' towards LJ in the OP. 

I thought that was the trendy new forum phrase for any comment that could possibly be construed as less than 100% favourable about LJ - not reserved just for me surely!?!

I feel honoured....:yes:

23 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'm surprised neither Robin1988, nor Kid, who quickly seconded his comment, have accused the Major of 'veiled criticism/cynicism' towards LJ in the OP. 

I thought that was the trendy new forum phrase for any comment that could possibly be construed as less than 100% favourable about LJ - not reserved just for me surely!?!

I feel honoured....:yes:

Perhaps because my criticism is n't ' veiled ' .

We all know that staying / progressing in the Championship is more important than winning a League cup 2nd round tie but why feel the need to say it ? 

How about " we have a squad of quality players here and will give it everything to progress to the next round . I want every player who pulls on the Bristol City shirt to give their all and those that don't must know that there is someone chomping at the bit to take their place .

Scunthorpe will be a very hard match and we must fight for the right to impose our game . If we're not up for it we will get beaten and lose the possibility of playing , with all respects to Scunthorpe, a more glamorous  tie in the next round ."

LJ has planted a little grain in the heads of the  players that says ' it's ok if we hold back because we are in between two big matches .'

That is a recipe not only for a defeat but also injury as players make half hearted tackles.

I hope LJ and the lads prove me wrong .

11 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Perhaps because my criticism is n't ' veiled ' .

We all know that staying / progressing in the Championship is more important than winning a League cup 2nd round tie but why feel the need to say it ? 

How about " we have a squad of quality players here and will give it everything to progress to the next round . I want every player who pulls on the Bristol City shirt to give their all and those that don't must know that there is someone chomping at the bit to take their place .

Scunthorpe will be a very hard match and we must fight for the right to impose our game . If we're not up for it we will get beaten and lose the possibility of playing , with all respects to Scunthorpe, a more glamorous  tie in the next round ."

LJ has planted a little grain in the heads of the  players that says ' it's ok if we hold back because we are in between two big matches .'

That is a recipe not only for a defeat but also injury as players make half hearted tackles.

I hope LJ and the lads prove me wrong .

Honestly think you're just trying to stir the pot. 

I don't for one minute think LJ would have come out with a different message if we were playing Chelsea, in which case people would be praising him for telling the players not to let the occasion get to them and keeping them grounded.

23 minutes ago, City169 said:

Honestly think you're just trying to stir the pot. 

I don't for one minute think LJ would have come out with a different message if we were playing Chelsea, in which case people would be praising him for telling the players not to let the occasion get to them and keeping them grounded.

It's a bugbear of mine . I have travelled miles in the cold and night to see a team of City players going through the motions whilst losing to less talented but hungrier teams .

As for Chelsea , they would be a little bit more ' up ' for that one even if it would be sandwiched between the other important matches .

54 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It's a bugbear of mine . I have travelled miles in the cold and night to see a team of City players going through the motions whilst losing to less talented but hungrier teams .

As for Chelsea , they would be a little bit more ' up ' for that one even if it would be sandwiched between the other important matches .

You get a day out in Scunthorpe. What more do you want?

I believe this group are professional enough to go to Scunthorpe motivated enough to play and get a result. After a dissapointing performance at Wycombe where LJ has publicly expressed he expects better I doubt any of the players who are perhaps just outside the championship starting 11 will take their foot off the gas, and if they do then that's probably part of the reason why they might play Scunthorpe not Newcastle.

We have a decent sized squad, if not huge, nearly all of which when in form and playing well would be competing for a place and wanting to play games. Thus this game gives LJ a chance of giving game time to Korey (I hope) Matthews Golbourn all of which would not raise any eyebrows as starters.

Mark little needs games as well and ODowda should be back from his foot injury. That's five off the bat.

ODonell will likely play as it is 'rare' to rest a goalkeeper. Also Freeman will want a game and Abraham wont want dropping if he is on a streak. Eight!

The CB's likely be two one of which may be Williams. Ten and my guess Brownhill and Tomlin who never actually looks fit will be ready to play

A team well capable of beating Scunny....Barring injuries which will give someone a chance (or maybe a new signing with all the money slushing around)

ODonell

Golbourn

Williams

Magnusson

Matthews

Korey

Freeman

Odowda

Brownhill

Abraham

Tomlin

Possibly. Not bad! 

League cup round 2. Does anyone really care? It's a shame managers don't actually say what they're all thinking "We could do without this utter non event of a fixture, but it will give fringe and under 21 players a chance to show what they can do."

We've dodged a bullet by getting Scunny, and can hopefully avoid any harmful effects to first team players.

Archived